[A17] No Death Randomness, Fitness

Started by mazacik, November 24, 2016, 11:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazacik

No Death Randomness

This mod is outdated, please use Torann's Custom Death Randomness instead.

Removes the 67% chance for all non-colonist, non-prisoner pawns to die when they should only be getting downed instead. This is most noticeable during raids, as raiders often spontaneously die after getting shot in their arm once. Duh. However, this obviously creates a game balance issue, as you will be able to capture every single raider that doesn't have a vital organ destroyed.

There's an optional file that increases Torso health to 60 so people don't die to having their torso destroyed as often and thus get downed more reliably. It's optional due to being incompatible with every mod that modifies body parts. If you're using EPOE or any other similar mod, don't use this file.

Works very will with any non-lethal weapon mod, as they no longer randomly turn into instant-kill weapons.

Downloads:
A17
A16
A15

Optional Torso Health Buff File:
!DO NOT USE WITH EPOE AND SIMILAR MODS!
A17

Fitness
Fat, Hulk and Thin body types are disabled for all pawns, existing and newly generated alike.
Rewritten from scratch. Uses a different, much more compatible method.

Downloads:
A17

There's an error about incorrectly formatted target version! -> Ignore it until A18 comes out.
There should be no compatibility issues with other mods. Load order doesn't matter. Works with existing saves.

I found a bug / would like to request a feature.
Write a comment about it and I'll see what can I do.

License: Do whatever you want with this.
Thanks to ZorbaTHut for a suggestion; and RawCode, 1000101 and Zhentar for helping me learn how to detour.

faltonico

Tested "no ramdom death" together with AlcoholV's stun gun and I got a 100% chance to down the pawn. No one died. The colonist that was stunning the pirates did get beaten to death, so, the mod is not just removing the possibility of dying.
Stun gun effect only last around 10-15 seconds tough.

Awesome mod!

Alenerel

Im the one who asked in reddit. Thanks you very much.

Does it also affects animals?

mazacik

Quote from: Alenerel on November 25, 2016, 11:46:51 AM
Im the one who asked in reddit. Thanks you very much.

Does it also affects animals?

Yes, the percentage check is removed altogether. If this proves to be more annoying than useful, I will revert the change for animals. Keep in mind that small animals like rabbits have very low body health, meaning if you shoot them with a shotgun and hit their body, they die no matter what.

Thundercraft

Nice! Thank you for making and sharing 'No more random death'!  ;D

As for the "serious balance issue" this creates:
Doesn't it become increasingly difficult to recruit prisoners the more our population reaches our chosen Storyteller's 'Desired maximum' or 'Critical' level? And don't slave traders and random event opportunities for pawns to join become more rare with more population? If so, then how is this unbalancing? Because we have a much greater opportunity to sell prisoners for money, harvest their organs, or release them for good will?

joaonunes

Is "No more random death" compatible with mods such as "Medical Complication"? I am asking for that one in specific because it basically merges all the best health related mods into a single package :P
Do you want your colonists to look manlier?
Get a free mustache sample here!

mazacik

Quote from: joaonunes on December 04, 2016, 09:00:16 PM
Is "No more random death" compatible with mods such as "Medical Complication"? I am asking for that one in specific because it basically merges all the best health related mods into a single package :P

Yep, compatible. I think NMRD is compatible with everything right now.

joaonunes

Quote from: mazacik on December 05, 2016, 02:31:11 AM
Quote from: joaonunes on December 04, 2016, 09:00:16 PM

Alright, thanks :D

Alenerel

Quote from: mazacik on December 05, 2016, 02:31:11 AM

Ill make a mod that doesnt do anything else but to screw yours. Then you wont be able to say that!

joaonunes

What about "Fit Colonists" compatibility with, lets say, "FacialStuff" from Killface? My memory might be a little of but I think it touches the "Verse.PawnGraphicSet.ResolveAllGraphics"...

Thundercraft

Would you consider creating a version of this .dll for non-lethal weapon mods to call, thereby only affecting certain modded weapons that should be 100% non-lethal (but currently aren't)? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would prefer to circumvent the random death mechanic only with certain mod weapons and leaving it as usual for the rest.

I was looking at the code for the Blowgun mod, which has a .dll that manages to significantly reduce the random death mechanic (but does not eliminate it entirely).

mazacik

Quote from: joaonunes on December 05, 2016, 06:48:14 AM
What about "Fit Colonists" compatibility with, lets say, "FacialStuff" from Killface? My memory might be a little of but I think it touches the "Verse.PawnGraphicSet.ResolveAllGraphics"...

No idea here, as I never used that mod in any of my playthroughs. If it does touch said method, it indeed will be incompatible. I would look into it, but life happened... The next update I do will probably be for A16.

mazacik

Quote from: Thundercraft on December 05, 2016, 10:55:07 AM
Would you consider creating a version of this .dll for non-lethal weapon mods to call, thereby only affecting certain modded weapons that should be 100% non-lethal (but currently aren't)? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would prefer to circumvent the random death mechanic only with certain mod weapons and leaving it as usual for the rest.

I was looking at the code for the Blowgun mod, which has a .dll that manages to significantly reduce the random death mechanic (but does not eliminate it entirely).

That would require the authors of said mods to use a part of my code - something they can already do now - and not the other way around. Actually, I'll look into it.. soon-ish. It may be doable.

Disabling the mechanic or reducing it's chance depends on nothing more but a single line of code, so if you have balancing suggestions, I'll be happy to hear them.

This also gives me an idea to implement a new non-lethal weapon pack, after asking for a permission to use someone else's code because I'm lazy to do it myself, and make a separate death preventing mod that would only affect these new weapons. Not sure if that's good enough, though.

14m1337

Quote from: mazacik on December 05, 2016, 03:17:31 PM
That would require the authors of said mods to use a part of my code - something they can already do now - and not the other way around. Actually, I'll look into it.. soon-ish. It may be doable.

easy going. just tell 'em that you made this dll, which makes offering mods with non-lethal weapons more easy, and in a standardized way. intelligent people will use something that is standardized, because it makes their own work much easier - as long as the standard works, of course. even more intelligent people will tell you of an easier way to do your mod's job as soon as they discovered it.

work together, not against each other !
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

Thundercraft

Quote from: mazacik on December 05, 2016, 03:17:31 PMThat would require the authors of said mods to use a part of my code - something they can already do now - and not the other way around.

That makes sense. But I'm afraid that making a .dll-mod may be a bit beyond me. Though, I guess I could read that .dll modding topic I spotted recently and give it a try.

Quote from: mazacik on December 05, 2016, 03:17:31 PMThis also gives me an idea to implement a new non-lethal weapon pack, after asking for a permission to use someone else's code because I'm lazy to do it myself, and make a separate death preventing mod that would only affect these new weapons. Not sure if that's good enough, though.

That should be doable. AlcoholV has a Stun Gun mod. As you can see in his mod list's OP:

Quote from: AlcoholV on November 23, 2016, 03:14:08 AM
Under the MIT license. Do whatever you want with it.

There's also the Blowgun mod I mentioned with a similar license:

Quote from: Kapun on December 04, 2016, 06:49:28 AMLicence: Do whatever you want with it.

Looking at the Blowgun code, the gun shoots a projectile which is defined with a "PoisonDart" <DamageDef>. As I said, a .dll-mod is a bit beyond me. But could the .dll be linked to the <Blowgun.DamageDef_AddHediffSizeBased ParentName="Dart"> tags that make up the "PoisonDart" DamageDef in PoisonDartDamage.xml? (I noticed a mention of "DamageDef_AddHediffSizeBased" in one of his \source\ files.)

By asking, I also got permission from 1000101 to borrow the "side-handled baton" from his unfinished Prisoners & Slaves mod. (He said that it uses the same "stun" effect that bears claws use.) Though, he forgot who the artist was and suggested I track that down to give proper credit. I've been playing around with it, but I haven't released anything.