Why won't my doctors heal any without me stepping in?

Started by Moxi, November 25, 2016, 07:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moxi

Listen, I get micromanaging is fun for some of you - and I'm probably doing something wrong but jesus christ is this for real?

I have 5 doctors with 10+ in medicine skill for 15 pawns in total. All have "1" in the Doctor workorder and I have set two pawns to do "anything" in their planning (as I read a tip about it would let them focus on the patients and no on sleeping i.e. after drafting them.

None of the two have the lazy, or other debuffs which would expain their lazyness. They don't theat anyone after drafting them, they don't feed them and basically does nothing, even so it's their number 1 thing to do.

They sometimes do theat people, but it seems like they rather want to do a'lot of other things (like I force them to treat one person, then they want to go to bed, even so there's 5 people in need of the same treatment and all need feeding).

This basically means I have a ton of patients which gets their treatment late, none of them gets feed which then end up in them breaking their own mind because ... well they aren't getting feed.

Any suggestions to what I might be doing wrong or? I'm really frustated at this point, that I have to micromanage two pawns, who only have one job....

Alenerel

I know... The most common problem I have is that they check every X time if there is something else to do. Usually my researcher is also the doctor and when somebody is injured he usually takes some time to "notice" and go.

I also dont like the behavior where someone needs treatment and the doctor is sleeping/having fun/eating and he wont stop or wake up to tend him. Or when you force him to treat someone while he wants to sleep/eat/whatever, he treats a couple of wounds then he lefts to do his shit.

I mean, I dont care if he loses ac ouple of hours of sleep or all the night, for me is more important that people dont die FOR FUCKS SAKE!

Doctors should "check" more often for patients and prioritize them above everything.

Another annoying thing is when somebody is injured and going to rest to be treated, and the doctor, while the guy is coming, decides to go in a journey to haul or do something else. I get it, its "my fault" for making him do these things... But for me healing is above all. I would put it on priority 0 or -10 if i could.

I like the game but I hate that I have to micromanage it so much and get overburned easily by that. Even the simplest job is killing...

jmababa

1. Are they sleeping
2. Are they Eating or about to eat
3. Did they have something to finish before healing the one needed healing
4. Are they using beer or drugs

this is the only way they don't heal

Kopz

There could be a couple reasons for this but it sounds to me like you need to "slap" in order to restart the priority list.

So basically to my understanding when they are deciding what to do they obviously go through the cycle selecting the prioritized work in its order. But once they pass the doctoring they might start crafting or cleaning ect. They wont go back looking to do doctor work until they are done what they are doing. Basically you need to reset their 'thinking" to start looking for work at the beginning of the prioritize list.

When this happens, I would suggested highlighting all your colonist and doing a quick draft and then undraft. This should restart their work search from the beginning. It may also be worth removing any work from your doctor that is keeping him so busy that he never checks if someone new is sick.

Hope this helps

K.

Moxi

Quote from: jmababa on November 25, 2016, 08:08:28 AM
1. Are they sleeping

1. Sometimes, but I draft them when that is, besides their restricting (day schedule is set to anything, so they can basically do whatever they want - A tip suggested this would allow them to prioritiz healing people instead of sleeping).

2. No
3. No, only assigned to doctoring
4. No

Quote from: Kopz on November 25, 2016, 08:41:42 AM
When this happens, I would suggested highlighting all your colonist and doing a quick draft and then undraft. This should restart their work search from the beginning. It may also be worth removing any work from your doctor that is keeping him so busy that he never checks if someone new is sick.

Already tried, doesn't work.

jmababa

Quote from: Moxi on November 25, 2016, 08:51:14 AM
Quote from: jmababa on November 25, 2016, 08:08:28 AM
1. Are they sleeping

1. Sometimes, but I draft them when that is, besides their restricting (day schedule is set to anything, so they can basically do whatever they want - A tip suggested this would allow them to prioritiz healing people instead of sleeping).

2. No
3. No, only assigned to doctoring
4. No

Another thing have extra doctor on hand which i don't right now cause well he's a prisoner 99% diff to recruit. Also you can't remove craft from doctor or else = no good meds

Kopz

Quote from: Moxi on November 25, 2016, 08:51:14 AM

Hmm, which part specifically is not working? When you "slap" them they don't restart their work prioritization?
I wish I could be more helpful but I have never come across this issue in my 600+ hours. Generally for me these types of issues are caused by a backlog of work/issued work orders, because everyone is to busy to get everything done. The only other thing that comes to mind is possibly a zoning issue, or the ability to access the medicine.

SilentP

Are you running any mods with your game?

I have found that if you set firefighting, patient, bed rest and doctor to 1 and everything else to 2 or less things run well.

Typically if my doctor isn't healing it's because he's crafting.  Try setting small batches on crafting to make him "re prioritize" more often.  I found that making medicine in batches of 50 works well.  Try setting it at "do until you have X" instead of "do forever".

Cimanyd

A colonist that is drafted won't do anything on its own, including moving, except attack enemies in range. Drafting is mostly just for combat; it's not a "don't sleep/eat right now, keep working" button. The only thing that does that is the schedule under Restrict, but a temporary button like that would be useful.

Filling needs (food, rest, joy) is separate from the work that priorities cover, so if your doctor would rather sleep than heal, changing priorities or unassigning everything but doctoring won't help.

Unless you're running a huge colony, I think it's worth micromanaging (by right-click prioritizing) most doctoring. The consequences of not doing it as well as you can are more serious than most of the things your colonists do automatically.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Kopz

Quote from: Cimanyd on November 25, 2016, 12:21:49 PM
A colonist that is drafted won't do anything on its own, including moving, except attack enemies in range. Drafting is mostly just for combat; it's not a "don't sleep/eat right now, keep working" button. The only thing that does that is the schedule under Restrict, but a temporary button like that would be useful.

Filling needs (food, rest, joy) is separate from the work that priorities cover, so if your doctor would rather sleep than heal, changing priorities or unassigning everything but doctoring won't help.

Unless you're running a huge colony, I think it's worth micromanaging (by right-click prioritizing) most doctoring. The consequences of not doing it as well as you can are more serious than most of the things your colonists do automatically.

Drafting is however very useful for resetting your colonist work prioritization. If a doctor is in the middle of crafting and you do a quick draft and then undraft he will stop crafting and start rechecking for the highest priority task to be completed ie firefighting, bedrest, doctoring ect.

Alenerel

Thats what I do when there is a fire. Select everybody and draft/undraft. Fire is beaten easily... Unless you give it time.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Kopz on November 25, 2016, 01:13:20 PM
Drafting is however very useful for resetting your colonist work prioritization. If a doctor is in the middle of crafting and you do a quick draft and then undraft he will stop crafting and start rechecking for the highest priority task to be completed ie firefighting, bedrest, doctoring ect.

That's true. I was responding to this:

Quote from: Moxi on November 25, 2016, 07:45:17 AM[snip]
I have 5 doctors with 10+ in medicine skill for 15 pawns in total. All have "1" in the Doctor workorder and I have set two pawns to do "anything" in their planning (as I read a tip about it would let them focus on the patients and no on sleeping i.e. after drafting them.

None of the two have the lazy, or other debuffs which would expain their lazyness. They don't theat anyone after drafting them, they don't feed them and basically does nothing, even so it's their number 1 thing to do.
[snip]

It sounded to me like OP was drafting his doctors, expecting it to make them work without resting, when it would really make them just stand still and do nothing.

If OP actually meant drafting+undrafting them to wake them up/stop them researching/etc., I misunderstood.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Spdskatr

When I don't have people doing what I want them to do(in this case, treat patients) I would create a new area (under orders -> expand allowed area -> manage areas) and then select the hospital room. Then restrict your doctors to that area under the Assign tab. Just remember to make a tiny food stockpile in the hospital so the doctor doesn't starve :P (Alternatively select the freezer room as well so the doctors can feed themselves and also feed the patients)
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?