Yes.
8 (72.7%)
No.
0 (0%)
Damn that's hella cool.
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

mrblonde1990

Well this is my base so far. Sorry for the double topic i will try and get rid if i can.

http://imgur.com/PrRfQSB

http://imgur.com/yn5vMko

RandyIsAwesome

My recommandations are:
You have a lot of empty Space - get rid of it. When your colony gets too big (40+) distance and travel efficiency are critical. When I started my last Randy-Game I planned my complete colony out before starting to build.

You can build your hydro-tables next to each other, just leave some space every third so they can reach it.

I am usually very very careful with batteries - I build two next to each other and at least two blocks of stone surrounding it. When your colony grows, you will need enormous amounts of energy saved in case there is  a solar eclipse, so if your batteries make boom it will be big. Very big.

Here are some screenshots of my biggest Randy-Colony:
http://i.imgur.com/uSw0Wjf.jpg

As you can see, I got rid of corridors because they take up way to much space - just let them use the rooms as corridors and you save a lot of time...

But that one was before the new update, so I guess things have changed and my strategies will have to be renewed....

mrblonde1990

bloody hell mate, that makes my base look like piss, what kind of rig are you using a asus gaming laptop.

Nvidia gt415m geforce

intell core i3 2.40gz

4gb ram

I do have a desktop which is double of this but my desktop is taking up from family members with there crappy bf3 :/

Quasarrgames

Colonies can ALWAYS be imporved. Still, that's a whole lotta stuff for merely day 100
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

UrbanBourbon

Yes.

- Keep those solar panels apart. You'll want to be able to put out any fires they might catch. In general, leave space between things. Because fire and repairs.
- Hydroponics tables don't have to be indoors. It'd be more effective if they were close to kitchen. Minimize hauling distances.
- Add a door to the east wall of a building (kitchen?) where you have 4 batteries. Shorter hauling distance to/from the food stockpile.
- Keep mine corridors clean and well-lit to prevent mining-related mental breaks. Put one guy to cleaning duty only.
- If you have spare time, smooth out the corridors. Smooth rock is considered 'pretty', and boosts happiness. Rough (unsmoothed) rock is 'ugly', and decreases colonist happiness.
- Defenses need some work but it's not catastrophic either.
- Turn turrets off. They suck a lot of power. Zoom out, double-click a turret, hit 'V' or click them off.
- Rocks are better cover than sandbags. Don't leave them to raiders. In general, leave raiders no cover or minimal cover.

Damien Hart

You could also break up your power into smaller circuits. This will A) make wiring explosions smaller and B) ensure that your entire reserve isn't expelled when one occurs.

It's a simple matter to run a couple of power conduits during an emergency, not so much to regenerate that lost power when you actually need it.

ITypedThis

Awesome work! I voted yes however, because I feel that having a flammable outer wall is not something one would want. Moving your stockpiles inside the wall would also be a good idea.