[Outdated - See OP for updated version link] LewisDTC's Weapon Expansions

Started by LewisDTC, November 26, 2016, 07:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you like to see expanded further?

More Neolithic, Medieval and early game weapons!
5 (9.4%)
More Industrial and Spacer weapons!
4 (7.5%)
Glitterworld weapons should be a thing, shouldn't they?
6 (11.3%)
More Grenades, Rocket Launchers and other special weapons would be nice.
0 (0%)
Lets get some more armor to counter all these weapons.
25 (47.2%)
Turrets, traps and automated weapons could use some love.
12 (22.6%)
Do something that isn't to do with weapons. Give us more walls, floors and furniture.
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: January 12, 2017, 08:35:50 PM

LewisDTC

While I'm likely not going to be releasing a new update until after it's updated for A16, I wanted to share what I've been working on with anyone who is interested.

In the next update:
- Power weapons have a distinctive effects when swung, to convey their strength. Vibro Weapons will have similar but more subtle effects.
- More weapons in existing tiers, such as this Gatling Laser:

- Variations of certain existing weapon types.

As a general rule, variant weapons can not be crafted but can be bought from traders or salvaged from raiders. There will be some rare, powerful versions and some more common, alternate versions.

For example, the Type 0 Laser weapons are not craftable, but are instead a cheaper version of laser weaponry closer to the Gauss tier in overall power and price that can be bought or looted from other people just like any other weapons.

In contrast, the Thermal Edge is a rare variant of the Power Axe which will (hopefully, it's not finished yet) set targets on fire with it's attacks. It will appear on traders very rarely (or I might incorporate a 'Rare Artifacts Trader' who occasionally stocks them) or may appear on a particularly well-armed raider.

I'd love to hear peoples opinions on having rare and alternate versions of weapons in the game!

Adalah217

Super impressed with how fast you can put out updates! This is quality content with careful consideration of game mechanics. We appreciate it!

I was taken by surprise when the first laser-armed raiders attacked my base from the recent update. Felt like a real challenge. I prefer this method of acquiring rare items rather than the (old) mod which assigned unique modifiers to existing weapons, like "Icy"-ShoddyMace, or "FastFiring"-GoodPistol. It feels earned. Rare, non-craftable weapons are a good idea, as long as it's balanced and not OP (obviously).

I also want to note, the animated textures for weapons don't stand out too much in game. That's important to me and I'm glad you've taken this into account.

Also, I expect a rare ray-gun (like green laser pistol, slower rate of fire, higher damage or something). Make it happen.

darktoes

That does sound really awesome. Keep up the good work! I don't know if waiting for A16 is going to be worth it though, especially since most of the people using mods are probably going to stay on A15 until all of their mods update.

Also yes, some "alien" type weapons would be very cool.

Also, are we not going to get some form of power claw or fist? Something Warhammer 40k style might be quite fitting.

LewisDTC

Quote from: darktoes on December 13, 2016, 06:43:23 PM
That does sound really awesome. Keep up the good work! I don't know if waiting for A16 is going to be worth it though, especially since most of the people using mods are probably going to stay on A15 until all of their mods update.

Huh, didn't think of that but you're right - I remember the big minecraft modpacks that are still using historic versions from years ago...

Well, we'll see what the situation is when it's ready then! :p

Quote from: darktoes on December 13, 2016, 06:43:23 PMAlso, are we not going to get some form of power claw or fist? Something Warhammer 40k style might be quite fitting.

Already planned them - claws that is since fists just don't seem to look right - just considering how best to implement them and what to do for their art. :p

Would LOVE to be able to have power weapon upgrades like claws as bionics but I'd REALLY want them to appear visually, and I'm just not sure if I could figure that out.

Quote from: Adalah217 on December 13, 2016, 06:41:57 PM
I was taken by surprise when the first laser-armed raiders attacked my base from the recent update. Felt like a real challenge.

As a general rule, I consider my colony to be successfully 'established' when raiders come poking around with lasers - in my current testing game we've just claimed a couple of laser pistols to defend ourselves. Useful as my colonists aren't particularly good shots and the fast, accurate lasers help counter this. My best shooter is using a Gauss rifle we bought from a trader. :)

Quote from: Adalah217 on December 13, 2016, 06:41:57 PMI also want to note, the animated textures for weapons don't stand out too much in game. That's important to me and I'm glad you've taken this into account.

Really glad to hear it - I wish there was some more versatility with them, but that's exactly what I was aiming for. Something there, but not distracting.

I appreciate the support!

Since I'm always asking questions on opinions, here's another!

Early in development (before the first release) claw-type weapons were drawn as if being dual wielded. I changed this since pawns can use them with only one hand, but never got rid of the sprites.

Do you prefer the single or dual handed version? Lets find out!

Adalah217

Quote from: LewisDTC on December 13, 2016, 07:15:48 PM
Do you prefer the single or dual handed version? Lets find out!

I much prefer the single. The dual wielding reminds me of jazz hands.

darktoes

The dual wielding would be cool but does look strange, unless you somehow got the animation to have them both come down at different angles. Speaking of, a power fist might have some sort of burst or explosion animation? Maybe a burst of electricity or something along those lines.
A claw could probably just have glowy slashes going across the enemy, or maybe electricity arcing around the blades as it swings?

LewisDTC

Hey folks!

I've been updating the mod to work with A16. Everything seems to be working now so I'll be uploading the new versions once I've added a few more pieces and tested them properly.

The next release will contain several new weapons and a multitude of stat balances. In addition to this, it will divide the ballistic tier into two parts. I'll not go into too much detail right now, but I've thrown together a picture showing all of the (common) weapons currently found in the two mods, divided into tiers as the update stands right now:

darktoes

Ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah. That there's some fine dakka.

LewisDTC

Big A16 update now available!

Including whole new, nicely formatted front page - go check it out people!

Love

This looks awesome. Does it get along well with Rimsenal?

Love

One minor thing, the Firearms and Misc mods use the word 'Overhaul' instead of 'Expansion'

darktoes

Are we going to get the V2/Misc mods for A15? I NEED that flamethrower in my life.

fengchao191

I think you really should reconsider weapon balance. Most high tech guns are even weaker than core weapons. I don't want to spend a lot time on research and get something even worse than before. Please strengthen your weapons a little bit to make our research worth something.

Thundercraft

I noticed that you did not have a preview.png for your mods - or a logo, for that matter. Granted, such things are fluff which do not impact gameplay. But I threw some together. What do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

LewisDTC

Quote from: Love on December 20, 2016, 02:09:43 AM
This looks awesome. Does it get along well with Rimsenal?
I've not tested it (how have I never looked over Rimsenal before? It looks awesome...) but I suspect that it will – the mod doesn't seem to change anything to do with how the stock guns are handled. I suspect that the biggest problem will be balance.

Though I'm thinking that I'll be downloading that one now so I'll be able to confirm this.

Quote from: Love on December 20, 2016, 02:41:32 AM
One minor thing, the Firearms and Misc mods use the word 'Overhaul' instead of 'Expansion'
Aha, I forgot that I hadn't changed that. Many thanks!

Quote from: darktoes on December 20, 2016, 03:27:52 AM
Are we going to get the V2/Misc mods for A15? I NEED that flamethrower in my life.
Possibly. I only put the Misc mod together recently which is why there was not old version of it. If there's no news on a stable A16 release once I've done my next round of bugfixes I'll look into making it backwards compatible. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Quote from: fengchao191 on December 20, 2016, 05:05:36 AM
I think you really should reconsider weapon balance. Most high tech guns are even weaker than core weapons. I don't want to spend a lot time on research and get something even worse than before. Please strengthen your weapons a little bit to make our research worth something.
As a general rule the weapons improve in ways other than just raw damage. Gauss weapons are roughly 50% more powerful, but laser weapons are not, instead firing faster, more accurately and dealing heat damage that bypasses armor. Charge weapons maintain this accuracy boost, have improved damage but trade the fire rate for burst fire.

I wanted to make the guns more powerful without just bumping up the damage with every tier – meaning that there was a reason to advance without it making the game too easy. After all, whether someone shoots you with a gun from WW2 or a modern day rifle it's going to hurt either way.

That said, I do get that there isn't enough of an advantage with some of the higher tiers so I'll be taking a look at balance again. Thanks!

Quote from: Thundercraft on December 20, 2016, 06:43:33 AM
I noticed that you did not have a preview.png for your mods - or a logo, for that matter. Granted, such things are fluff which do not impact gameplay. But I threw some together. What do you think?
Huh. You know, I didn't even realise that these were a thing. Those are pretty nice – would you mind if I went ahead and used them in the mod? Credited, of course.