[Outdated - See OP for updated version link] LewisDTC's Weapon Expansions

Started by LewisDTC, November 26, 2016, 07:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you like to see expanded further?

More Neolithic, Medieval and early game weapons!
5 (9.4%)
More Industrial and Spacer weapons!
4 (7.5%)
Glitterworld weapons should be a thing, shouldn't they?
6 (11.3%)
More Grenades, Rocket Launchers and other special weapons would be nice.
0 (0%)
Lets get some more armor to counter all these weapons.
25 (47.2%)
Turrets, traps and automated weapons could use some love.
12 (22.6%)
Do something that isn't to do with weapons. Give us more walls, floors and furniture.
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: January 12, 2017, 08:35:50 PM

Canute

After i read the last comment i got the idea about
- Pulse minigun repeller or Pulse wave gun.
Lower damage, short range, but pushback effect.

LewisDTC

There will be more heavy weapons added over time: The Gauss Cannon was the first and I already have a heavy laser and pulse planned as well. I'm still teaching myself this as I go so whenever I have an idea for a specific kind of mechanic, I don't even know if it's possible before I try. Hopefully though, the laser and pulse tier heavy weapons should bring something unique to the table!

I'm currently doing some work on extending the range of melee weapons. It's not tested yet so I'm not uploading, but the two (much needed) spacer tiers I'm adding will be Vibro Weapons and Power Weapons.

Both Vibro and Power Weapons will be crafted at the new 'Advanced Machining Table', which will act as the workstation to craft top-tier weapons from both my firearms and melee mods. They will require specific recipes: you wont be able to just build these advanced weapons out of any old materials like lower tier weapons.

Since the textures flicker at an extremely fast rate in the actual game it is hard to show this well on the forums, but I threw together some .GIF's to demonstrate the artwork:

Vibro Weapons.

(Yes, I'm aware of how these look in a slow-moving .GIF. I'm also aware of the implications of the name. I find it entertaining.)

By incorporating advanced microcomponents into standard weapons, it is possible to craft weapons with blades which vibrate at intense speeds at your advanced machining table. This significantly increases their cutting power, and thus their efficiency in combat.

Power Weapons.

(I'm hoping to make a few unique variants in different colours as well.)

By inlaying layers of metal with imprinted nano-circuitry, it is possible to create extremely strong melee weapons which circulate a powerful store of energy at the advanced machining table.

Smexy_Vampire

i like this so far :D
only thing is i wish enemy factions would have to teck up like this with you

Adalah217

Those vibro weapons certainly do have.. an implication ;)

Will the animated weapons cause a fair bit of lag? I didn't even know it was possible to animate those textures.

LewisDTC

Quote from: Smexy_Vampire on December 06, 2016, 08:04:51 PM
i like this so far :D
only thing is i wish enemy factions would have to teck up like this with you

In theory, the weapons have a higher market value than regular weapons but are otherwise classified the same. I'm not 100% certain of the mechanics, but I believe that as you advance, raiders get more 'funds' to spend on weapons to attack you with.

Because of this they should have a low chance of appearing early on and gradually start showing up more and more often as you progress. At least, as of the next update - I'm pretty sure I might have not fixed the market values properly in the last one: I had about four laser pistols by the time I was able to make them.

Eventually I'll be adding a factions part of the mod that splits up the factions a bit, making spacer factions that will typically use higher tech gear. I've done an early test where I created a sort of 'Wild West' faction and it works, but I'm focusing on the weapons at the moment. :)

Quote from: Adalah217 on December 07, 2016, 06:15:28 AM
Those vibro weapons certainly do have.. an implication ;)

Will the animated weapons cause a fair bit of lag? I didn't even know it was possible to animate those textures.

I think I first heard the term in Star Wars somewhere and it made me spit tea across the room. Still, makes sense how they work and I while I could call them something else, I kinda like the awkward name. ;)

As for lag, that's one of the reasons I need to test them properly. The way they are animated was ripped from the fire sprite, and I don't get any noticeable lag during flash-storms when there are hundreds of fires going on at once, so in theory everything should be good.

Question time!

Anyone who reads this, which image do you prefer for the power axe? I wasn't entirely happy with it so did it again, but I'm still not fully convinced...

Version 1:

Version 2:

Any comments here would be really helpful!

fireball626

I think the second version would look better if only the actual edge had the power effect.

darktoes

Personally I prefer the first version. The second version almost looks like a hammer, since the edges look like some sort of plate across the edge.

LewisDTC

The V1.3 update is now live for both firearms and melee weapons!

Both mods: Now include the Advanced Machining Table, which is a shared production area used to create spacer-tier weapons: it is used for both melee and ranged weapons.

Firearms V1.3: covers a handful of minor fixes and more more important ones: such as rebalancing the market values of all weapons. This should help solve the distribution problems that was causing an unusual amount of laser pistols to show up.

Melee V1.3: receives it's first real content update - adding two spacer tiers of melee weapons and their associated research requirements.

Razzoriel

Hey Lewis.

Do you mind if I attach your mod to Outer Galaxies? It is a modpack I'm currently creating, joining in multiple mods and textures from the Modverse of Rimworld. I'd gladly take several of your creations and join in them with the other hundreds of weapons currently in it!

Thanks in advance. Good luck with LWE!

LewisDTC

Currently working on adding a wider variety of weapons to the weapon tiers I have already created. As part of this, I felt that I had to rework the laser weapon art - here's the new artwork that's going to be replacing the current laser weapons in the next patch:

The new images will flicker very slightly on illuminated (red) areas. It's much more subtle than the power weapons - I wanted it to be there but not be distracting. Pulse weapons will also have a similar effect.

Oh, and thanks for your feedback on the power axe! After your responses and asking a few people in real life, I got a lot of mixed answers. As a result I created a third version of the power axe that fell somewhere between the two images: it's in the current version and can be seen on the front page. :)

Quote from: Razzoriel on December 09, 2016, 12:09:49 PM
Hey Lewis.

Do you mind if I attach your mod to Outer Galaxies? It is a modpack I'm currently creating, joining in multiple mods and textures from the Modverse of Rimworld. I'd gladly take several of your creations and join in them with the other hundreds of weapons currently in it!

Thanks in advance. Good luck with LWE!

My apologies, but I'd rather it not be used as part of any kind of pack as a general rule. It's kind of a selfish reason but I've already spent a lot of hours creating the art for these weapons and I'd like them to remain their own thing, at least while i'm actively working on the mod. Perhaps in the future when I'm happy that I've finished working on it - adding new content and so on - but for now, I'd like it to remain independent.

Many thanks for asking however - it means a lot to me that somebody actually considered my work good enough to be included in something like that.

Razzoriel

Well, that's too bad. I'm mentioning all modders who contributed with their artwork to it; I'd love to have a few of the textures and give you due credit, obviously.

But this is your own work, and I'll respect your wish to remain independent. This is nice quality work, keep it up.

TOWC

I really love your mod, it adds so much depth to the weapon variety in game. However, I don't think it's compatible with CR for obvious reasons. Will you ever consider doing the patch?

caesius

Quote from: LewisDTC on December 06, 2016, 07:31:56 PM
There will be more heavy weapons added over time: The Gauss Cannon was the first and I already have a heavy laser and pulse planned as well. I'm still teaching myself this as I go so whenever I have an idea for a specific kind of mechanic, I don't even know if it's possible before I try. Hopefully though, the laser and pulse tier heavy weapons should bring something unique to the table!

I'm currently doing some work on extending the range of melee weapons. It's not tested yet so I'm not uploading, but the two (much needed) spacer tiers I'm adding will be Vibro Weapons and Power Weapons.

Both Vibro and Power Weapons will be crafted at the new 'Advanced Machining Table', which will act as the workstation to craft top-tier weapons from both my firearms and melee mods. They will require specific recipes: you wont be able to just build these advanced weapons out of any old materials like lower tier weapons.

Since the textures flicker at an extremely fast rate in the actual game it is hard to show this well on the forums, but I threw together some .GIF's to demonstrate the artwork:

Vibro Weapons.

(Yes, I'm aware of how these look in a slow-moving .GIF. I'm also aware of the implications of the name. I find it entertaining.)

By incorporating advanced microcomponents into standard weapons, it is possible to craft weapons with blades which vibrate at intense speeds at your advanced machining table. This significantly increases their cutting power, and thus their efficiency in combat.

Power Weapons.

(I'm hoping to make a few unique variants in different colours as well.)

By inlaying layers of metal with imprinted nano-circuitry, it is possible to create extremely strong melee weapons which circulate a powerful store of energy at the advanced machining table.

oh my god....POWER WEAPON!!!!

LewisDTC

Quote from: TOWC on December 10, 2016, 06:29:08 AM
I really love your mod, it adds so much depth to the weapon variety in game. However, I don't think it's compatible with CR for obvious reasons. Will you ever consider doing the patch?

Short answer: Yeah, I would.

Long answer: I'll certainly consider it. At the moment I'm working on adding to the mod as it's still a way off being complete. Once it's complete as a standalone 'thing' I'll start looking at making compatibility versions. I've not used combat realism, but I've taken a peek at some of it's features and I'd quite like to have this work with them - it looks like we've actually had similar ideas for some things such as the shotgun spread mechanics.

TOWC

Quote from: LewisDTC on December 10, 2016, 09:50:41 AM
Quote from: TOWC on December 10, 2016, 06:29:08 AM

Short answer: Yeah, I would.

Long answer: I'll certainly consider it. At the moment I'm working on adding to the mod as it's still a way off being complete. Once it's complete as a standalone 'thing' I'll start looking at making compatibility versions. I've not used combat realism, but I've taken a peek at some of it's features and I'd quite like to have this work with them - it looks like we've actually had similar ideas for some things such as the shotgun spread mechanics.

That's a good way of thinking. Appreciate you for the answer, keep up the good work.