[Outdated - See OP for updated version link] LewisDTC's Weapon Expansions

Started by LewisDTC, November 26, 2016, 07:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you like to see expanded further?

More Neolithic, Medieval and early game weapons!
5 (9.4%)
More Industrial and Spacer weapons!
4 (7.5%)
Glitterworld weapons should be a thing, shouldn't they?
6 (11.3%)
More Grenades, Rocket Launchers and other special weapons would be nice.
0 (0%)
Lets get some more armor to counter all these weapons.
25 (47.2%)
Turrets, traps and automated weapons could use some love.
12 (22.6%)
Do something that isn't to do with weapons. Give us more walls, floors and furniture.
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: January 12, 2017, 08:35:50 PM

Dragoon

I would use this mod but I don't want to edit the stats of vanilla guns since if I have any other mod that add guns or melee it would not work well.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Thundercraft

Quote from: LewisDTC on December 20, 2016, 08:02:43 AM
Quote from: Thundercraft on December 20, 2016, 06:43:33 AMI noticed that you did not have a preview.png for your mods - or a logo, for that matter...
....What do you think?
Huh. You know, I didn't even realise that these were a thing. Those are pretty nice – would you mind if I went ahead and used them in the mod? Credited, of course.

Yes, that would be fine. I'd be happy to see them used.

Quote from: Dragoon on December 20, 2016, 01:30:41 PM
I would use this mod but I don't want to edit the stats of vanilla guns since if I have any other mod that add guns or melee it would not work well.

These mods (plural) not only change vanilla weapons, but they also add a large number of new weapons. Have you considered putting DTC's Weapon Expansions either higher or lower in your mod load order? If you put DTC's higher than other mods which change vanilla weapons, the other mods would probably just overwrite the changes DTC's expansions made. But, you'd still have the new weapons DTC's adds.

Alternatively, maybe you want to skip DTC Weapons Expansion - Firearms and DTC Weapons Expansion - Melee and only install DTC Weapons Expansion - Misc?

To be fair, though, I believe the author's suspicion is accurate: Likely, the biggest issue with using DTC's alongside gun mods like Rimsenal is balance. I've tried Rimsenal and the guns were more powerful than vanilla. They felt too OP for my tastes and I stopped using it. That's one reason why I prefer weapon mods like DTC's expansions that at least try to maintain a balance similar enough with vanilla that the weapons feel like they belong.

Etherdreamer

Jackgamer447

Look, the mod looks awesome, but the way to  download this mod, it changed some things on my pc, some i'm not sure how to remove also. Please find another way to download for users.

LewisDTC

Quote from: Etherdreamer on December 21, 2016, 01:01:08 PM
It´s this compatible with Combat realism?
Doubtful as I only used default rimworld files - I didn't account for any of the changed combat realism makes.

As with most other mods that change weapons and combat, if the other mod is lower in the load order then the vanilla guns will benefit as usual, however the weapons I have created wont have any of the combat realism features and aren't likely to be balanced with the changes it makes.

Quote from: Jackgamer447 on December 21, 2016, 01:15:50 PM
Look, the mod looks awesome, but the way to  download this mod, it changed some things on my pc, some i'm not sure how to remove also. Please find another way to download for users.

I can't think of any reason why that would be unless you clicked on an add to install something on the way:

1. Skip the Adfly Ad.

2. If you don't have a Dropbox account, click continue to view.

3. Hit download.

I put my links through Adfly as a way to offset just a tiny bit of money from my student debts. All it means is an extra click to get to the download and this helps me out without me ever having to ask for donations or anything like that (which I really don't ever want to do).

nbielinski

Heya, just wanted to say I love the mod. It's amazing and I love that, "growing up in weapons as you learn more" sort of vibe. Totally keeping it as long as I can. Just one question, would you ever consider making a Combat Realism patch? At least to give your amazing weaponry a bit of an ammo dependency?

LewisDTC

V2.1:
- For Rimworld A16.
- Rebalanced stats to create a better sense of progression
- Slight improvements to all artwork - generally looks nicer.
- New Charge Pulse tier weapon - Charge Pulse Long Rifle (Sniper Rifle)
- New Flintlock tier weapon - Arquebus (Sniper Rifle)
- Brand new artwork for Flintlock Pistol and Flintlock Rifle
- Brand new sounds for Flintlock Weapons

Quote from: nbielinski on December 21, 2016, 06:10:18 PM
Heya, just wanted to say I love the mod. It's amazing and I love that, "growing up in weapons as you learn more" sort of vibe. Totally keeping it as long as I can. Just one question, would you ever consider making a Combat Realism patch? At least to give your amazing weaponry a bit of an ammo dependency?

I took a look at combat realism today actually, but I can honestly say that I doubt I'll be doing a patch for it any time soon.

Put simply, it changes a lot to do with aiming and accuracy and I just don't have the time to sit and figure out how the new ones work on a mechanical level. Not only do I not know how most of the tags apply to the actual gameplay but I would need to create a whole new set of stats for every weapon I've made. I don't even know which files are relevant and which effect other things in the game.

Short version: I'd love to, but sadly I'm too short on both skill and time. Mostly skill. :(

Adalah217

Just installed Firearms v2.1! Super awesome so far!

One small bug I think caused by Misc: the lighting effects are not being applied to the short bow. Screenshot:

http://imgur.com/ODmNdVw

Note I have plenty of other mods installed, so it's possible another mod is causing it, but your's is the only mod which affects weapons.

Also, firearms v2.1 shows up as v2.0 on the modlist :)

LewisDTC

Quote from: Adalah217 on December 21, 2016, 09:29:58 PM

One small bug I think caused by Misc: the lighting effects are not being applied to the short bow. Screenshot:

Note I have plenty of other mods installed, so it's possible another mod is causing it, but your's is the only mod which affects weapons.

Hmm... i think i know what might be causing that, its just odd that its only shortbows if im right. I'll take a look at it when im back at a computer - should be an easy fix.

I keep forgeting to update the about files too - should really just put a general title in there :p

Adalah217

Quote from: LewisDTC on December 21, 2016, 09:52:35 PM
Hmm... i think i know what might be causing that, its just odd that its only shortbows if im right. I'll take a look at it when im back at a computer - should be an easy fix.

I keep forgeting to update the about files too - should really just put a general title in there :p

Further testing shows other weapons do it too, but not all weapons. It seems all new or modified weapons do not have lighting affects applied to them. At least flintlock pistol and charge carbine, while the spear and pila and clubs appear normal.

LewisDTC

Quote from: darktoes on December 20, 2016, 03:27:52 AM
Are we going to get the V2/Misc mods for A15? I NEED that flamethrower in my life.

Just for you! :p

DTC Weapon Expansion - Misc V1.X (Legacy version) is available here for A15 -> http://adf.ly/1gxzz8

It's not a whole rebuild of everything new but I did make a legacy version of my Misc mod.

Did a quick fix on the lighting: long story short is that I suspected that I screwed up when I added transparency and it turns out I was right. Redownloading the Firearms and Misc mods from their usual links should fix the problem.

No need to download Melee again since power weapons are (or at least, should be) the only ones with transparency, and they are supposed to be be visible in the dark :)

LewisDTC

Are we going to get the V2/Misc mods for A15? I NEED that flamethrower in my life.

DTC Weapon Expansion - Misc V1.X (Legacy version) is available here for A15 -> http://adf.ly/1gxzz8

It's not a whole rebuild of everything new but I did make a legacy version of my Misc mod.

Did a quick fix on the lighting: long story short is that I suspected that I screwed up when I added transparency and it turns out I was right. Redownloading the Firearms and Misc mods from their usual links should fix the problem.

No need to download Melee again since power weapons are (or at least, should be) the only ones with transparency, and they are supposed to be be visible in the dark :)
[/quote]

Quote from: Hydromancerx on December 22, 2016, 02:46:00 AM
Can you add other primitive weapons like...

Sure I'll be adding more primitive weapons. I'll also be going back and revisiting a good number of the melee weapons, since some of those need a bit of work. The shiv and mace aren't the prettiest things in the world at the moment.

Next big update will be to Melee weapons and include a number of new primitive weapons there. I kind of want to add more tiers between the ones I have but the way the research tree in A16 works makes adding more technology difficult. :(

darktoes

Quote from: LewisDTC on December 22, 2016, 07:55:38 AM

Oh geez, now I feel awkward since the full A16 update was released and I'll probably start using that now... At least anybody who does stay on A15 will have access though right?

LewisDTC

Quote from: darktoes on December 22, 2016, 09:11:54 AM
Quote from: LewisDTC on December 22, 2016, 07:55:38 AM

Oh geez, now I feel awkward since the full A16 update was released and I'll probably start using that now... At least anybody who does stay on A15 will have access though right?

Heh, yeah that was the idea to be honest. I needed to make some changes to the misc one so I just copied it and made the changes to backdate it while I was doing it: no stress :p