[Outdated - See OP for updated version link] LewisDTC's Weapon Expansions

Started by LewisDTC, November 26, 2016, 07:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you like to see expanded further?

More Neolithic, Medieval and early game weapons!
5 (9.4%)
More Industrial and Spacer weapons!
4 (7.5%)
Glitterworld weapons should be a thing, shouldn't they?
6 (11.3%)
More Grenades, Rocket Launchers and other special weapons would be nice.
0 (0%)
Lets get some more armor to counter all these weapons.
25 (47.2%)
Turrets, traps and automated weapons could use some love.
12 (22.6%)
Do something that isn't to do with weapons. Give us more walls, floors and furniture.
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: January 12, 2017, 08:35:50 PM

LewisDTC

Quote from: Adalah217 on January 05, 2017, 01:55:55 PM
Quote from: LewisDTC on January 05, 2017, 01:37:28 PM
Quote from: Adalah217 on January 05, 2017, 12:50:04 PM
-snip-

You're the hero that we all needed! I'll put this link up on the front page under a large warning that it's an experimental early version, if that's okay with you?

Wait until tomorrow :) . CR just updated an hour ago and they are in bug fixing mode. I'm trying to build from their .dll source to help out too, specifically with the reloading bug which messes with my own patch. I wanna touch up a few things and release a more stable v0.2. It will suffer from being unbalanced but will be feature complete. The current download has a huge chance of ruining saved games and is generally not fun to play anyways.

No worries - I'll leave it be for now. Once I get a chance I can throw together some basic artwork for the ammo - shouldn't be too tough given you've included placeholders I can use as a framework.

ChairmanPoo

Another question: Will it be possible to keep using this mod without the ammo? Thanks

LewisDTC

Quote from: ChairmanPoo on January 06, 2017, 06:03:42 AM
Another question: Will it be possible to keep using this mod without the ammo? Thanks

Sure thing! Combat Realism isn't going to become a requirement for this mod - Adalah217 is just creating a patch so that people can use them both together.

My expansion mods are designed to stay as close to the core gameplay as possible. All of my updates will work as normal. :)

Adalah217

New experimental release of the Combat Realism patch! v0.2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ls64qzcpax02nh/DTC%20CombatRealism%20reworked.zip?dl=0

Load AFTER Combat Realism. Should be able to use without using the original LewisDTC mods. Just use what is provided here and by Combat Realism (and the Core game). I don't know if it will break old save files or not. Best bet is to start a new game.

Features:

• Unique ammunition for each tier of weapons which replaces those used in Combat Realism
  • Crafting ammo leaves behind an "unfinished" object, as the later tier ammo will be time intensive. Plan accordingly!!
  • Armor penetration values for weapons, both melee and ranged
  • Progressively better aim for weapons. Flintlock weapons might seem like a downgrade from bows, but can fired from farther away and takes less time to craft the ammunition. Should usually hit at close range for deadly effects
  • Renamed new turrets to be more descriptive and fit with this mod, as well as their ammo
  • Renamed hand grenades
  • More uses for chemfuel
  • Sandbags now cost a little bit of cloth (might remove)
  • Be sure to check out the LMG, Minigun, and laser Gatling gun!

Future plans:

• Remove blazebulb. It serves no purpose since chemfuel exists.
  • Detour the ammunition provided by Combat Realism. It can still be spawned in using dev mode, but no weapons use it.
  • Ensure mechanoid raids run smoothly
  • Textures for ammo (which are not shamefully taken from Combat Realism)
  • Reworking the loading bench. Ideally, there would be a hand and electric loading bench, and all ammo would be crafted there instead of the place where the weapon is crafted.
  • Building all turrets from the security tab, rather than just the machining bench
  • Additional ammo like in Combat Realism (incendiary, EMP, birdshot, etc) if it seems appropriate
  • Reworking apparel and armor values

If a bug is not on the list below, make sure it is not a CombatRealism bug, then report it. Also looking for feedback on balance and how the game flows.
Known bugs:
Bows cannot fire without right clicking on the reload button and selecting the appropriate ammo. - Vanilla Combat Realism bug

Assigned drugs can be weird. - Vanilla Combat Realism bug

Cannot shot out of embrasure if there is no path to the hostile. - Vanilla Combat Realism bug

Other minor combat realism bugs, such as with animal handling (see their github for known issues)

Sound for the flamethrower

MapOnly context yellow error upon loading. It's harmless; will be fixed

Blazebulb has no use. Chemfuel has largely replaced it. Plans to remove the plant entirely; still present in game as of this version.

Raids will sometimes throw an exception. It wants to use Combat Realism ammo, but quickly switches the correct ammo for the weapons equipped.

Balance issues:
Armor values are off the charts. Might need adjusting.

Damage feels small for low-caliber weapons.

Ammunition costs: market value, item cost, bulk, and mass

The bulk and mass of all weapons might be off, but it's relatively good for the time being

Need ammo textures:
Battery ammunition (little, standard, disapate, large)

Charge ammunition (small, regular, discharge, highly)

Flintlock (Pellets, Bullets, Arquebus)

Magnetic (light, medium, scattershot, heavy)

Projectile (light, pistol, rifle, shells, sniper)

Feel free to post it on the front page. Be sure to warn people about breaking saves. I played the game briefly and tested most weapons to make sure they could fire and use ammo, but the balance is probably off due to how aim and damage are calculated. FYI damage, range, market value, cooldown, and warmup are the same as in your mod. Not sure if it should be changed or not. I won't be able to update the mod much in the coming weeks, but updating the patch should be easy.

LewisDTC

Just a quick post to show off a few new neolithic weapons that will be coming in the new update.

Throwing weapons will now appear as a bundle. Why was everyone only taking one throwing weapon out to war with them before anyway? This includes Javellins and the new Tomahawk.

Both of these now have very similar stats to their melee counterparts (the Spear and the Hatchet) but are considered ranged weapons and have a longer cooldown times between attacks. To counter this, they have a very short warmup time, so they shouldn't be constantly interrupted in melee combat. Throwing weapons have a significantly shorter range than bows and guns.

Also changed the club art and repurposed Rimworlds original club artwork as the Greatclub - a larger, slower and heavier variant.

Image showing a raid group appearing with Clubs, Tomahawks and Javelins below:

[/URL]

Adalah217

Quote from: LewisDTC on January 06, 2017, 11:38:53 AM
Just a quick post to show off a few new neolithic weapons that will be coming in the new update.

I spot a golden tomahawk! Looks awesome! That will certainly be interesting when integrated into the CombatRealism patch too.

Fallingar

Will we ever see higher tier throwing weapons and/or bows? I want a power pilum to function as a cross between a sniper rifle in terms of power, and a smg in terms of range. Low warmup with light-mid cooldown. End result would be a top notch skirmishing weapon, possibly the best thrumbo kiting weapon in the game, and a thematically awesome weapon. I can see it being very useful in warding off tribal attacks, or small groups of shield users.

Edit: Just throwing this out there too, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like a tiered katana.

LewisDTC

Power Pilum eh...? *Scribbles in notebook*

An industrial tier bow already exists in the misc pack (the Compound Bow) and is crafted at the machining table once advanced machining is researched. It is comparable with the Gauss rifle in terms of its overall efficiency with a greater firing rate but lower damage - generally a very nice weapon even when lasers start to become mainstream.

I'm unlikely to add any more modern bows until I get around to working on some alternative weapon tiers, which wont be until I've at least done some work on armors and turrets. This will likely include throwing weapons and such which continue to be effective into the late game.

Unless I decide otherwise, y'know? Not very good at sticking to plans - I might decide to do more weapons at any given time really. (I call it the procrastination curse but really I'm just indecisive.)

Lennbolt7

nbielinski

I love the mod, especially for running that slow, "Neolithic to medieval to industrial" colony build. And I love that we have a CR patch... the only gripe I have, and it's probably unpopular, is that the CR patch changes quite a bit of vanilla CR. I appreciate the effort but is there any way to have the weaponry slot in with CR Vanilla ammo? Ex: .303 FMJ instead of "Rifle Rounds", .45 FMJ instead of "Pistol Rounds"? At least optionally so?

Adalah217

Quote from: nbielinski on January 07, 2017, 03:31:39 PM
I love the mod, especially for running that slow, "Neolithic to medieval to industrial" colony build. And I love that we have a CR patch... the only gripe I have, and it's probably unpopular, is that the CR patch changes quite a bit of vanilla CR. I appreciate the effort but is there any way to have the weaponry slot in with CR Vanilla ammo? Ex: .303 FMJ instead of "Rifle Rounds", .45 FMJ instead of "Pistol Rounds"? At least optionally so?

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. It sounds like it makes sense, until you actually try and play it that way. You'd have Flintlock Rounds, then all of the named Combat Realism rounds, then back to Magnetic Rounds, Battery, and Charged. If you can come up with better names, I'd be happy to!

Edit: Oh wait I remembered why I did that now. CombatRealism has much different damage values on its ammo compared to LewisDTC's weapons.

I could:
Adjust all of the damage values on each ammunition from CombatRealism to fit Lewis' mod (not happening, also wouldn't make sense)

Change Lewis' range, number of rounds fired, etc on the guns, and introduce minimum 3 new ammo for the 3 new guns added in the ballistic and mechanical tier (in addition to the flintlock, battery, and charge ammo already made). It would mean the new weapons added by Lewis would have significantly fewer options of ammunition compared to any of the regular guns.

Think of it this way: LewisDTC already changed the names on guns and their description, why shouldn't ammo do the same?

If it makes you feel better, I am working on that option as well, but it will take significantly more time than the mod I have released thus far.

Edit2: In the meantime, I have done just that for the Medieval mod. I simply added crossbow bolts, and updated all of the ranged weapons on the mod. There was also issues like 2 embrasures that was fixed. That patch took less than a day to make. This patch will far longer to get right.

nbielinski

A very fair point and I see where your choices come from. Thank you for the work so far, sorry to say I'm just a bit fond of the micromanaging set-equipment-and-gear-allowances-then-get-pissed-when-colonists-don't-follow-them sort of running things.

Adalah217

Quote from: nbielinski on January 07, 2017, 04:00:37 PM
A very fair point and I see where your choices come from. Thank you for the work so far, sorry to say I'm just a bit fond of the micromanaging set-equipment-and-gear-allowances-then-get-pissed-when-colonists-don't-follow-them sort of running things.

See, I hate that sort of thing. Rimworld, for me, is about telling good stories. Using ammunition and the way damage is handled in CombatRealism makes for good stories, but having a ton of ammo laying around and trying to find out what shoots what will only lead to frustration. I don't really like regular CombatRealism for that exact reason: too much bloat. I don't know what's going on half the time. It's such a large mod, there's major bugs going unfixed. And I certainly don't blame them. There's a ton to maintain. That's exactly why I went for scrapping half the items and making it clear where things come from.

This mod would introduce far too many new types of ammo if every weapon had unique ammunition anyway. It'd be way too much work to maintain when new weapons are added or current weapons get rebalanced by Lewis. Thanks for understanding! This is totally a work in progress, and I appreciate your feedback. I just wanted to at least get some kind of mod out there so weapons require stuff to be fired, rather than magic.

Again, I'm open to ideas about renaming the ammo. That's pretty much trivial to do (find and replace). Once the mod is more stable, I'm also looking for new types of ammo to be fired out of weapons. I think it would be cool to have variations on ammo like lasers (red, blue, green), charged (ion, quark, antimatter) and flintlock (balls ;) and bullets).

Adalah217

v0.3 of the Combat Realism patch!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctyinzm3y4gdokm/DTC%20CR%20compat%20v0.3.zip?dl=0

I decided to just make "modern" weapons use CombatRealism's ammunition instead. I think more people were looking for that, not the "Rifle Bullets" that I added.
Thus, the flintlock, magnetic, and battery ammunition will have updated names eventually to better fit the style of CR. For now, they just use the "little" variants. Future goals is to have more variety in ammo available.

I will updating which weapon uses what ammo on the picture below. Basically, modern weapons follow the same ammo rules as CombatRealism, while entirely new weapons use the unique ammo from their tier.

Attached is a .pdn file with the layers so it can be easily changed. I followed the style of other weapon packs.

Also included is ammo for the flamethrower! Note that the MISC pack is not present, but the flamethrower is.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]