Freezing NPCs in extreme ice sheet

Started by Wishmaster, November 29, 2016, 06:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wishmaster

Hello.

I want to start an extreme challenge game on ice sheet.

Very often, NPCs and sometime hostile who enters the map freeze to death before I even have to defend myself.

But now I've found a map with a tile where is average temperature is -93°C in winter ! (seed is "despair").

I would like to try it but I'm pretty sure every enemy die of hypothermia before they even reach my base, not to mention siege...

I've heard of a mod which gives NPCs adapted apparels but I can't find it again...

psionicmushroom

NPCs currently spawn with clothing generated to be safe for the colony's environment, and if the generator can't make a set of clothes warm enough it just scraps the raid.

So I'd guess you'll be seeing a lot of mechanoids and not much else :P

ArguedPiano

A similar discussion took place Here a few weeks ago. You may find some good info there.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Mkok

So will they not spawn, freeze to death, or simply come wearing muffalo wool parkas?

Last time I played on extreme cold ice sheet (got -100°C and during autumn), they were spawning, but since no clothes could insulate for that kind of cold, they had rather severe hyperthermia when they reached my defences in winter (though most of them did reach them, and I still had to shoot them). But that was before wool was added, and I remember wool having seriously OP insulation. Not sure if it was changed in A15, as I havent really played that one yet   :D

I actually liked this. It meant my base was essentially locked from the outside world during winters, and it made an interesting gameplay (I was actually forced to put all but one of my colonists to cryptosleep for the whole winter, but that is another story  ;D). I was kinda sad when I found wool to give such OP insulation.