Will these features be implemented in the future?

Started by vampiresoap, December 01, 2016, 11:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampiresoap

Hi everyone :) I'm new here. This is my first post on this forum, but I've been playing this wonderful game since it first got on steam. I've spent 100+ hours into it so far, and I sense that some of the things are "probably" going to be implemented in the future, but I'm not really sure. That's why I need you guys ;)

1. Watchtowers where archers/gunners can stand "on top" of? (Boosted range, accuracy and cover bonus?)

2. Babies and children? Since lover pawns are already having sex...And also, it was in dwarf fortress, I believe. Not that it matters :D (While we're on the topic, contraception drugs?)

3. Pawns equipping 2 weapons? I feel like it would make more sense if the pawns can carry like a small side arm. Those small pistols and knives will suddenly become so much more useful too.

4. Robotics? Since I saw a pawn having the roboticist background. I'm gonna be ecstatic even if we can have like a small hauling bot or a clean bot. (We all want to have our own R2D2 at some point :D )

5. Castle walls and siege weapons? I noticed that some of the raiders can "punch" their way into my stone walled colony...how does that even make sense? :D I feel like the stone walls should be impervious to all but siege weapons (like battering rams or catapults) or modern explosives (but not small explosives like frag grenades...those do little to tall stone walls. I'm talking about something like C4's here) I think the most hilarious case would be a raider taking down my steel walls with molotovs. I laughed so hard when it happened in my game :D

Lastly, it looks like we will finally be able to go to other colonies and raid them!! Hooray! <3

These features are NOT my suggestions. I've just seen some "signs" in the game that made me feel like they're "probably" going to be included. But I guess you guys can turn those into suggestions...? I don't know, discuss away! :D

PS: Would be so honored to get inputs from our beloved dev too! Hi Tynan, big fan of your work!! ;)

billycop32

I kindly refer you to the "frequent suggestions" pinned thread in the suggestions board for babies/children
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12024.0
Tyran does not like saying what features will be added, or when, so these questions are kinda mute. I'll still go over each one and give you my opinion of their chance of being added.

1: watchtowers are unlikely, I'll explain more in number 5

2:see above link, this is a feature asked for and discussed multiple times. the chance of it being added are close to 0%

3: having two weapons has been debated for and against for some time. you can probably find mods that support this already, and I would't be surprised if ty adds them.

4: (again, OPINION) this one i'd say yes. between the nature of space and how much time has passed, it would be logical for rimworld to have them. the mod community is on point for this one, and has added it already. tyran has also hinted at the possibility of different sentient species being added through the information screen on the colonists.

5: siege weapons are already in the game. (mortars) and both sides use them. as for walls being impervious, that would promote too much turtling,so don't expect it. rimworld is already having issues with turtling players staying inside mountains, so adding more items such as invincible walls or watchtowers that add more "fort" probably are counter to removing that.

mumblemumble

my opinions 2

1: highly doubt it, its hard enough to get the player to be challenged without more ways to be effective in combat.

2: Framework is there, but the more important part is child development, and what children do...this would be a lot to code, and would bring very little to play...doubt it

3: Framework is there, and realistic weapons mod (correct name? one with finite ammo has this, where you can carry a few guns) has this already. Biggest thing is balance for it... high potential to be added, compared to others.

4: doable...but who knows when

5: see point 1... but i agree melee / light attack should do less on doors...
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

CodeRen

Quote from: billycop32 on December 02, 2016, 01:09:20 AM
I kindly refer you to the "frequent suggestions" pinned thread in the suggestions board for babies/children
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12024.0
Tyran does not like saying what features will be added, or when, so these questions are kinda mute. I'll still go over each one and give you my opinion of their chance of being added.

1: watchtowers are unlikely, I'll explain more in number 5

2:see above link, this is a feature asked for and discussed multiple times. the chance of it being added are close to 0%

3: having two weapons has been debated for and against for some time. you can probably find mods that support this already, and I would't be surprised if ty adds them.

4: (again, OPINION) this one i'd say yes. between the nature of space and how much time has passed, it would be logical for rimworld to have them. the mod community is on point for this one, and has added it already. tyran has also hinted at the possibility of different sentient species being added through the information screen on the colonists.

5: siege weapons are already in the game. (mortars) and both sides use them. as for walls being impervious, that would promote too much turtling,so don't expect it. rimworld is already having issues with turtling players staying inside mountains, so adding more items such as invincible walls or watchtowers that add more "fort" probably are counter to removing that.

Babies/children having a 0% chance?

Look what he said about kids here recently: https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/794003347376377856
https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/01/progress-continues/ -- Here he says he hasnt added kids YET

Stop spreading misinformation. He said no to Z levels flaout. NEVER said no to babies.

billycop32

Quote from: CodeRen on December 02, 2016, 01:46:29 AM
Babies/children having a 0% chance?

Look what he said about kids here recently: https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/794003347376377856
https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/01/progress-continues/ -- Here he says he hasnt added kids YET

Stop spreading misinformation. He said no to Z levels flaout. NEVER said no to babies.
I'll make a note to put THIS IS OPINION in front of EVERY point from now on.
I never misquoted him in my reply, in fact the only "quote" I used was to show he doesn't like saying what features will be added or when. I'll leave you with this definition, in the hopes you don't misuse it again mate :)
Quotemis·in·for·ma·tion
noun
false or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive.

Limdood

there was a mod a while back specifically with hauling and cleaning bots.

I could actually see watchtowers being added to increase accuracy and range, and it NOT make it way more powerful for players...

Currently, players take advantage of cover...partial cover with obstacles and darkness, and total cover by stepping around walls.  Someone on a watchtower would have NO cover at all, and would likely be targeted first compared to other pawns.  Furthermore, like opening doors, getting off a watchtower should probably take some time....makes it a real risky proposition to send someone up there.

vampiresoap

Quote from: Limdood on December 03, 2016, 11:19:39 PM
there was a mod a while back specifically with hauling and cleaning bots.

I could actually see watchtowers being added to increase accuracy and range, and it NOT make it way more powerful for players...

Currently, players take advantage of cover...partial cover with obstacles and darkness, and total cover by stepping around walls.  Someone on a watchtower would have NO cover at all, and would likely be targeted first compared to other pawns.  Furthermore, like opening doors, getting off a watchtower should probably take some time....makes it a real risky proposition to send someone up there.

Actually, watchtowers usually provide a lot of cover for the "watcher"...Think about high ground advantage and how bullets travel. Plus I think you might have the wrong image. Most towers provide half covers, some even have full cover + embrasure. Other than that, I agree with the other thing you said ;)

Thyme

During my service, I was told that hiding behind a 30cm tree provides no cover other than sight protection. 5.56x45mm apparently penetrates such trees without losing it's ability to kill. While those watchtower people are more dangerous, they're also sitting in a lighthouse with little to no protection. Never seen an armored watchtower.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

vampiresoap

Quote from: Thyme on December 04, 2016, 03:31:46 AM
During my service, I was told that hiding behind a 30cm tree provides no cover other than sight protection. 5.56x45mm apparently penetrates such trees without losing it's ability to kill. While those watchtower people are more dangerous, they're also sitting in a lighthouse with little to no protection. Never seen an armored watchtower.

1. What does a tree have to do with anything?

2. Not everyone in the game uses guns with high caliber bullets. For example, tribesmen use bows and throwing spears.

3. Stone watchtowers are a thing. They have been a thing since the medieval times. They were used extensively in Europe during World War 2 as well.

Spdskatr

tbh, keeping with the "wild west" theme of the game is going to be hard if we add full-on battering rams and C4s and watchtowers.

think about stone walls as piles of bricks, neatly stacked on top of each other without any cement in between.

It's logical - not everyone can build a 2m high stone wall properly in 8 minutes.
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Thyme

Grown trees appear as good cover at first glance (and in RimWorld), while the actually don't. 5.56x45mm is no big caliber and commonly used in rifles such as the Stg 77.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak