Latest update ffor A16!!!!!!!

Started by wafflep90, December 01, 2016, 10:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaridan

somehow I'm  getting the feeling we'll be exploring whole new methods of torture/bad stuff to do with this update D:

Listen1

-Oh great, another Convnent Child/Sheriff... Well...

Sends him to the drop pad.
Clutter the thing with fuel
Thrown it into a raider camp

CodeRen

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on December 02, 2016, 09:50:34 AM
Quote from: Profugo Barbatus on December 02, 2016, 07:50:29 AM
Quote from: Lightzy on December 02, 2016, 02:44:30 AM
I'm not sure those pods are meant for launching though.
For some reason it doesn't make sense to me in the context of the game.
Why add caravans and make such a big deal out of them (and they ARE fucking cool), if you can do fucking drop-pod assault.

I'm not sure what the use of the drop pods is but I do hope it's not that.
Maybe it's for containing stuff that goes with your caravan? I dunno.

Would totally take the novelty and coolness out of the caravan concept if you could ignore it completely and just shoot stuff wherever

Nah, it makes sense. The caravan pictures we saw have some significant travel time, and have to be supplied (Food) for said travel as well. Potentially at risk of ambush as well. Drop pods would very likely be expensive, requires this fuel resource, and preparation in advance, and in return offer that rapid speed action. Ground Caravans likely also would have SIGNIFICANTLY higher carry capacity.

Its a trade off, speed or resources, and I think it'll work quite well.

BINGO!

I think you are wrong and that thats a vehicle and the pods are used to enter it and sit down. Like seats in a land vehicle.

bchbum16

Quote from: CodeRen on December 02, 2016, 12:47:28 PM
Quote from: Andy_Dandy on December 02, 2016, 09:50:34 AM
Quote from: Profugo Barbatus on December 02, 2016, 07:50:29 AM
Quote from: Lightzy on December 02, 2016, 02:44:30 AM
I'm not sure those pods are meant for launching though.
For some reason it doesn't make sense to me in the context of the game.
Why add caravans and make such a big deal out of them (and they ARE fucking cool), if you can do fucking drop-pod assault.

I'm not sure what the use of the drop pods is but I do hope it's not that.
Maybe it's for containing stuff that goes with your caravan? I dunno.

Would totally take the novelty and coolness out of the caravan concept if you could ignore it completely and just shoot stuff wherever

Nah, it makes sense. The caravan pictures we saw have some significant travel time, and have to be supplied (Food) for said travel as well. Potentially at risk of ambush as well. Drop pods would very likely be expensive, requires this fuel resource, and preparation in advance, and in return offer that rapid speed action. Ground Caravans likely also would have SIGNIFICANTLY higher carry capacity.

Its a trade off, speed or resources, and I think it'll work quite well.

BINGO!

I think you are wrong and that thats a vehicle and the pods are used to enter it and sit down. Like seats in a land vehicle.
Tynan had already said that we will be able to get around the same way as the pirates are able to. Since there are no vehicles in game as of now, the only plausible explanation would be drop-pod technology.

mumblemumble

Can we use fuel to pour out as a massive fire trap?

Can we use it to produce molotovs? Can we use it to produce an incendiary launcher?

Will I be able to have pyromaniac fun like in postal 2?

Enjoying fire ingame, I cannot help but ask this...
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Proxava

Quote from: mumblemumble on December 02, 2016, 03:41:07 PM
Can we use fuel to pour out as a massive fire trap?

Can we use it to produce molotovs? Can we use it to produce an incendiary launcher?

Will I be able to have pyromaniac fun like in postal 2?

Enjoying fire ingame, I cannot help but ask this...

I'm sure if your ideas won't be implemented in A16, there would soon be a mod adding them.
Have a look at my QoL mod!

ChaosChronicler

If A16 gives us the ability to do drop-pod raids it could be the most risky endeavor a player could do unless they plan very carefully. I could see it go south fast that you have to retreat. Having a caravan wait outside the faction area could be the line between life and death for your raiders. God I hope we could park a caravan outside a raider faction camp.

PhenomTaker

Don't know how much will be in Alpha 16, but it does allow for plenty of new cool stuff for mods and future updates.

Jaridan

Quote from: ChaosChronicler on December 02, 2016, 04:28:15 PM
If A16 gives us the ability to do drop-pod raids it could be the most risky endeavor a player could do unless they plan very carefully. I could see it go south fast that you have to retreat. Having a caravan wait outside the faction area could be the line between life and death for your raiders. God I hope we could park a caravan outside a raider faction camp.
Maybe a faction will be making a killing by offering parking lots for muffalo caravans :D (jk)

mumblemumble

I can't help but think of the drop pods from the quake series now...the part in quake 4 where a series of pods (yours including ) makes the thought kind of gut wrenching, where a third of the pods are destroyed by AA guns, several die on impact with hard landing spots, others get crushed, trapped, shot as they climb out, ect, and in the end only 25% of the forces that launched 5 minutes ago survive 5 minutes later. They compare the pods to "big metal coffins" and the idea is terrifying, basically combining D-day, being shot out of a canon, A rollercoaster, car crash, and being stranded in enemy territory all into 1 big nasty experience...

.... ...I hope invading a mechanoid hive is like this, like this, combined with xcoms assault objectives on UFOs.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Bozobub

Sorry, it's a total non sequitur, but the fact I can play the PS1 version of X-Com (the best one ever, btw; no, you are NOT allowed to argue *glare*) on my freaking phone never ceases to amuse me.  Literally; my wife thinks it's hysterical to hear the little grey men scream xD ...

Yes, I'd love that too.  But that wouldn't really feel like RimWorld to me, either, you know?
Thanks, belgord!

mumblemumble

Eh, I think it COULD... "feel" rimworld is subjective if something is added, but think about it....think about a mission where you send people on a highly DANGEROUS area, where generally at least a few will die, but with MASSIVE rewards in exchange...considering how attached people get to pawns this would be hard.

I know one of my favorite things with xcom was strangely, worrying over injured troops, and mourning dead ones...the mission where xcom hq gets invaded I found very brutal, as nobody had their gear equipped, so I got tons of people with default gear...still defended, but lost around a dozen troops... that was....very rough.

-----

Shurp

Funny, my experience with "suck-waddies" in X-com was that they were wholly expendable.  They dropped dead so easily that I was constantly recycling them.  The only ones I was concerned about were the ones with a high psionic skill to save for the end-game.

I care about pawns in Rimworld much more because it's harder to get replacements, and it's too easy for them to get *crippled* without getting killed making them a drag on the colony.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Bozobub

Well, I farm Psi-Amps and training early as possible, so I know who my keepers are right away.  The PS1 version has an advantage — beyond better graphics and a real CD soundtrack — in that certain names have (with variance) certain stat tendencies, especially the set you start with, unlike the PC version.  Nick Jones is ALWAYS a bad mofo, for example.  So none of my guys in the main (Avenger) squad are even slightly expendable ^^' .

BTW, if you want a batshit crazy take on the X-Com engine, check out "X-Piratez"; it's a thing of beauty.
http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4465.0.html <- Download link
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/30/x-piratez-xcom-mod/ <- Review
Thanks, belgord!

ChaosChronicler

Quote from: Jaridan on December 03, 2016, 01:11:29 AM
Quote from: ChaosChronicler on December 02, 2016, 04:28:15 PM
Maybe a faction will be making a killing by offering parking lots for muffalo caravans :D (jk)

Probably should clarify, I meant park the caravan one map over as the fall-back point. But yeah anyone could make a killing with that  ;)