Things that could make you quit playing Rimworld

Started by ProFF7, January 16, 2017, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Listen1

Quote from: skullywag on January 17, 2017, 04:11:23 AM
Modding.
I thought it was doors.

Well, I agree that there are 3 or 4 events that can end a colony without you having any agency in it. There were more in the past, but as the game progress, they are being, patched, fixed and worked on.

I felt surprise in the last colony of mine where I had 2 berserken colonists, it just dosen't happen anymore. Smokeleaf, beer, nice rooms, joy and dining rooms make huge buffs. I only had this because half of my colony died.

Diseases and blight can be worked on, toxic fallout and vulcanic winter can be improved, but overall, there's nothing ingame that can make me quit.

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Calahan

jmababa

If no medical compilation for A16 need to cure em colonist with 1 compiled mod and not having to search for all the medical stuff

PotatoeTater

I play on cass extreme and I've never had problems with constant mental breaks, rarely do they happy, and usually only after someone loses a lover. Even then it usually isn't an extreme break, only a minor one. If you are complaining about the difficulty, play on an easier mode. The game is as fun as you make it, so playing on hard when you can't handle it will of course make you quit.
Life is Strange

OFWG

In the game as it stands now, 2 things will repel me eventually:

- The rush to set up at the beginning of a new game. I prefer to play maps with a fairly cold winter (nowhere near ice sheet, just snowy winter) and a short to medium growing season. Setting up the food source by the time you need it is way too big a task for 3 pawns.
- The grindy end game of trying to keep enough components in stock. Things break down way too frequently and just waste components, and they're far too rarely available and take too long to make. This isn't the only problem with end game, it's just what was messing with me the most in my latest colony. :)

For the future, what would repel me is if we keep getting ham-handed changes that address a broken game feature in a way that is nothing but a tedious, overly gamy bore. For an example, dead man's clothing which (I guess) was to fix the broken economy but does nothing but provide even more tasks for the pawns, in the form of incinerating (D) clothing.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

ProFF7

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on January 17, 2017, 02:33:23 AM
Only death can make me quit playing Rimworld, but if Heaven is perfect I might be able to play Rimworld from there + get all recent updates.

NB! The reason the OP gets bored is his constant cheating, toning down important aspects of the game or save scumming. To me the game is becoming abit too easy even on hardest difficulties, no cheating, no mods, no turning off features, and on hardest biomes like Ice Sheet. I'm extremely experienced now after playing for more then 2 years (since Alpha 8 it has been my favorite game), and has played on the most extreme difficulty with Cassandra from day 1 (and got used to it as the normal). Anyways, I still have alot of fun for sure. Luckily there is loads of things you can do to increase the challenge now, like starting with just one tribal, and perhaps let him start with absolutely nothing.

You dont know anything from me. WTF u mean with "constant cheating", I just changed ONE value of a game mechanic I consider makes no sense, and the game is in alpha after all so it might not be like this on final version. I like difficulty, I dont like having to reload game, I like to play roguelike style, and I will accept death and catastrophe without reloading the game, I just feel the way berserk works right now is insane, annoying and kills inmersion, I dont know how to tone it down so it behaves less stupid, so I just remove the chance to happen.

And no, youre totally wrong, the reason I stopped playing was not because I was bored, but because of ANNOYANCE, I got tired of having to micromanage the constant crippling effects of berserk. Once I reduced the phrequency of it happening Im enjoying the game again, so what you say is flawed.

Also, I play on intense difficulty and I enjoy the challengue, having to face the hardships of hunger, freezing, raiders, beasts, plague etc, I lose colonists to these and I will never load back. Just THAT feature set me off. I just removed it and Im happy, I just posted this to know what else the community would find annoying/boring which Im curious, but there will always be ppl like you that just want to be right about everything and will not respect different opinions or views.

Stage

I love to play extreme difficulty. These are the things that nearly make me quit (or edit the savegame):

- Mass mental breaks/berserks: not beeing able to deal with these is a thing that I miss. No psychiatrists, (in the beginning) only smokeleaf and the later drugs are not that good too (hello addiction!)
There are enough methods to avoid mental breaks, but if you get several bad events at once, you barely make it out alive.

I would like so see a small rework of the negative buffs (corpse/rotten corpse - why the rebuff per corpse? Especially after a raid...remember they tried to kill you?) and the rate of rebuffing. Not much, but a little tweaking.
A couch would be nice too, where high social pawns can talk with other pawns to lower the duration of some buffs/increase the mood (but maybe decrease the mood of the therapist?)

- The randomness of the disease-incidents. No one feels sick, everyone is happy and health and suddenly -BAM- 2/3 of my colonists have malaria/plague/..., and the worst thing is the immunity is random. I would like to see pawns slowly get sich ("feeling sick", something, "showing symptoms", something, disease). Your medics should be able to examine the pawns for diseases and if detected prevent other pawns from getting it via quarantining the pawn. Ofc detection-rate should be based on medical skill, equipment and maybe experienced diseases (known-disease modifier)

PotatoeTater

Quote from: Stage on January 18, 2017, 03:56:00 PM
The randomness of the disease-incidents. No one feels sick, everyone is happy and health and suddenly -BAM- 2/3 of my colonists have malaria/plague/..., and the worst thing is the immunity is random. I would like to see pawns slowly get sich ("feeling sick", something, "showing symptoms", something, disease). Your medics should be able to examine the pawns for diseases and if detected prevent other pawns from getting it via quarantining the pawn. Ofc detection-rate should be based on medical skill, equipment and maybe experienced diseases (known-disease modifier)

I've seen pawns with the feeling bad debuff in their needs tab. I don't know if it means anything, but usually the game throws some kind of sickness at them after I see that it seems.
Life is Strange

OFWG

Quote from: PotatoeTater on January 18, 2017, 04:27:52 PM
I've seen pawns with the feeling bad debuff in their needs tab. I don't know if it means anything, but usually the game throws some kind of sickness at them after I see that it seems.

I had to double check the wiki on this, but those are "random" thoughts, complemented by the "feeling good" thoughts. It'd be kind of neat if they did mean something though!
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Lightzy

prolly lack of new content.
At some point you get sick of every game.  Except maybe master of orion 2... I'll return to that one on a rare occasion.
Heck I don't even Kerbal that much anymore after like 300 hours

Limdood

One thing some people have been asking for that, if changed, would most likely make me give up (if it can't be turned off or worked around), is "more intuitive" job assignment -

where pawns would weigh complex factors and decide to do something other than a job that could be explained by the priority system.

If i can't predict what my pawns will do, and they decide to do some batch cooking jobs rather than EVER get the 1 last wall section built, i'd quit in frustration.

Removal of cause/effect from the already complex, but usually sufficient work priorities and zones = done with this game unless its modded back out.