[steam] how can I not update the game to a16 without workarounds?

Started by Jin.M, December 02, 2016, 10:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jin.M

Hi guys,

is there a way to not update Rimworld to a16 as soon as it is out? I have a heavy modded a15 version and I don't want it to update on accident. Can I just copy the a15 version in a seperate folder and run in manually without steam?

Also I want to downgrade from the a16 version to the a15 version via Steam to use old a15 mods out of the workshop...I know there are workarounds, but I want to know if there would be a comfortable way as well.

Please also raise awareness for this issue, because modding is an essential part of rimworld imo. I am pretty sure everyone who played the game longer than 10 hours tried at least one mod.

milon

A16 isn't out yet, so you don't need to worry about "rolling back".  Tynan set up an older alpha (A14) as a "beta" test, and you can tell steam to stick with that build through the Betas option.  I assume he'll do the same for A15 when we get closer to the A16 launch.  I haven't heard anything about an A16 launch yet, so I really don't think it's super soon.  Yep, I know how to check the front page.  ^_^  It's on the horizon, but I suspect we've still got time.

For mods, you can always grab non-steam versions from the Mods subforum and install them.  They *should* be compatible with Steam RimWorld, but I haven't tried it myself and there's always a chance Steam's auto-sync will "helpfully" revert any changes you make.

I don't believe there's a way to use old mods via Steam, and that's a Steam shortcoming.  Every other modded game in Steam has the same issue.

skullywag

mods added to the steam versions "mods" folders manually work just fine and do not get auto anythinged.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Jin.M

Ah I didn't know that jet. I found the alpha 14 option in the beta test settings of the game. Good to know and thanks.

milon

FYI, there is a "Beta" Alpha 15 option in Steam.  You can switch to that if you play via Steam and don't want to be forced to update when the time comes.