HumbleTown with friends: A full story of a colony with plenty of pictures

Started by MiniKeeper, December 02, 2016, 07:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniKeeper

I would have put short in the title but I hit the character limit.
Rimworld adventure 3: Humble beginnings-with friends
Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Extreme with permadeath enabled
Scenario: Start with 3 colonists. No starting gear.
The tech level is that of a colony.
Biome: Mountainous rainforest. Has year round growing.

Starting colonists:
Jerbear:
Notable skills: 9 shooting, 9 melee, 12 social, 7 construction, 7 mining.
He is a 54 year old man with the traits neurotic and chemical interest.

Nathaniel:
Notable skills: 12 melee, 8 medicine, 7 growing, 9 research.
Nathaniel is a 45 year old brawler. He is a cold lover and has the trait too smart.

Nerhesi:
Notable skills: 7 shooting, 10 social, 7 medicine, 8 research.
Nerhesi is a 25 year old with a cold tolerance. He is a psychopath.

Day 0:
Things are already going okay. We obtained some components, built a table and refurbished a local shack, and planted some rice. Three colonists are so much more productive than a single colonist.

(I caught the screenshot alert in the picture too :P)

Day 2:
We get our first visitor. He has some things to trade. There is also a local panther around... I know how this'll end...

It worked! Rest in peace Severin, your equipment will really help us.

This whole panther-killing-visitor thing is starting to become a tradition in my stories.

Day 3:
I get the popup to name my colony. I name it HumbleTown with friends.

Day 4:
A wanderer named Joe has joined the colony. He isn't top tier, but he isn't awful either. I would probably rate him below average.

But, his shooting and medicine will be appreciated.

Day 5:
Our first raid! They sent an 80-year-old woman who surprisingly has no bad health conditions.

We easily beat her with our guns, but in the process she was incapitated after losing one eye. I wonder if she is still worth recruiting.
Turns out she had a 76% recruitment difficulty. Not too high, but not worth my food and effort.

Day 6:
A combat supplier has arrived from a local tribe. I don't have enough money to buy anything, but I wonder if I could do the panther trick again...

Day 7:
An escape pod crashed containing a potential new recruit. Trigger, like Joe, is not top tier, but extra shooters and haulers is always good.

Day 8:
Trigger developed an infection in his leg. We have a small supply of medicine, but I think we will have to use some of it on him.

Day 9:
Trigger survived his infection and joined the colony. Welcome aboard Trigger.

Day 10:
Uh oh. A three person raid has arrived. One of them has a sniper rifle. Even though it is awful in quality, those things still take off limbs in 1 hit. I'll have to be careful.

We repelled the raid without serious injury. Unfortunately, the sniper got away and they burnt a couple of our crops.

This is the colony so far.

Day 12:
A bulk goods trader has decided to visit us. We still don't have much money, but maybe we can sell some of the junk we got from the raiders.

Day 13:
We sold some clothes and a self-tamed capybara to the trader, but shortly after, a raid arrived. Just before the raid a heat wave kicked in.
They have a go-juice addicted raider, this isn't good.

There was a brief gunfight, but at the end, both the trade caravan and raiders were fleeing.
We survived with no major injuries, but due to friendly fire the tribe is in -79 relation with is (not hostile though).

Day 14:
The heat got to Nathaniel. We went on a psychite binge, smoked one unit of flake and developed an addition. Sigh.

Day 18:
A sculptor offered to join our colony in exchange for a raid. I don't think it's worth accepting just for an artist. Sorry Suzy, we can't help you.

Day 19:
Here comes a raid... Of two raiders.
They do have personal shields, but their melee weaponry is meh. This should be a easy fight.
I was right, we easily incapitated one raider and the other fled. Unfortunately, the raider we captured has a 99% recruitment difficulty. We'll have to release her. A shame, since she has good stats.

But, right after we released the raider a slave trader arrives from a local tribe. Thanks Cassandra.

Day 21:
Another all melee raid. This time there are three of them and they have decent weaponry. This should be easy enough.

Although our self-tamed capybara lost its leg, we captured a raider named Jade. She has a 86% recruitment difficulty, but I think we'll be able to recruit her.

And while Nerhesi was feeding the capybara he formed a bond with it. Welcome to the colony Coconut.

Day 23:
Uh oh. A manhunter pack of muffaloes has arrived. We don't have enough food to hole up the fridge for a couple of days. We may have to attempt to fight them. There is nine of them, but we have guns.

I soon realized fighting them would be too risky. So instead I decided to exploit the animal AI just a little by building unconstructed walls and restricting my colonists not to build them. This works because the animals treat blueprints that are completed as solid walls.

But, right after we box ourselves in two of my colonists come down with malaria. Cassandra never lets me get off that easy...

Day 24:
Nathaniel had been slowly reaching 50% withdrawal on his psychite addiction until he broke and smoked a single unit of flake which completely restored his addition to normal. At least I don't have to deal with the mood penalty now.

Day 25:
Our muffalo problem finally cleared up. Jerbear and Joe are both recovering from malaria. We also are building two batteries in our new battery room and two solar panels. We also have a freezer with working coolers and a stove. No more raw meat!

Day 27:
A trader form a local tribe came. I greeted them by aggro-ing a panther, who downed one of their men, who we rescued for a free +15 relation. I then aggro-ed a second panther, who fought and downed the trader.

Later on day 27:
I get a choice; take in a new colonist and face a raid or pass. The new colonist is an information broker, so she has good social and maybe good research. We could use those skills. She is also Joe's lover. I think I'm going to accept.

I was right about the skills at least. She has great social and research (12 and 13). She is incapable of dumb labor, but that doesn't matter since she'll be a full time researcher.

Hopefully this raid doesn't make me regret my decision...

Here comes the raid. They'll again an all melee raid with personal shields and pretty good weaponry. This isn't good.

Well. Crap. We lost the brawl. Looks like this is game over.

My story was cut short. I really expected this colony to last a lot longer.

But then. Somehow. Magically. Jerbear gets up off the ground.
Three of my colonists are being kidnapped as he somehow recovers.

Quickly, Jerbear injects the single Go-juice we have in storage and charges after the heavily wounded raiders, with a sword he picked up off one of the dead pirates.
He stabs one pirate to death from behind and the raiders flee, dropping the kidnapped colonists.

Fun fact, if you paid close attention, you'd notice Engie, the 80 year old raider with one eye, who was the very first raider who attacked the colonist at the start of this adventure.

But right after Jerbear rescues two colonists, ANOTHER RAID arrives. I am so salty. So, so salty.

My only hope is for them to kidnap a single colonist and leave. That's the only way we can survive.

But, as Jerbear is trying to treat the colonists, he has a mental break and heads to the fridge to get some food. While he does this, Nerhesi, who is still far outside the colony, dies of blood loss, causing our capybara to have a manhunting break.

Coconut heads into the prison, attempts to kill our prisoner, Jade, and gets beaten into submission.

Meanwhile, the raiders have arrived, only to find Jerbear attempting to snort some yayo. Oh Jerbear.

He does manage to snort 1 unit of yayo before one of the raiders unloads 3 charge rifle shots into Jerbear, shattering his spine.

Trigger and Jerbear get kidnapped. Pyrrha, our new recruit, the one who doomed us all, dies of blood loss shortly after. Soon Joe joins them in death due to blood loss.

The colony is over. Destroyed because of rolling an unlucky raid. I think I could have survived if it was a traditional raid. I wouldn't have accepted knowing another raid would follow shortly after.

I hope you enjoyed reading this story. It took up 34 pages on word (mostly because of pictures) and contains about 1450 words.

This colony was so much easier than HumbleTown 1. Having extra manpower really helps in the start. Look forward to a Rimworld adventures 4, assuming Alpha 16 doesn't come out anytime soon.

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Pink Omega

<=To Be Continued/\/

Static_Target

I never tried a colony without starting gear. Gonna try it while waiting for the next story ;)