Another motive for a raid

Started by UnsavoryChap, November 24, 2016, 01:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnsavoryChap

Rarely, the following kind of raid occurs:

The pack of tribesmen/pirates make a beeline in your direction. You recruit your best fighters and head out to meet them, but you notice they aren't trying to get in your base. Instead they've converged nearby, at your graveyard. One or two of them dig up a grave while the others form a loose perimeter. They came for the remains of some comrade you thoughtlessly cut down and gave no further regard, then head back in the direction they came. They only engage with the player if you're in their way or you initiate an attack.

Thirite

Neat idea. I usually dispose of the bodies, but it would be very cool if their corpse still exists on your map. Extending that, you could have a raid where they only attack if you don't release a captured prisoner of their faction in a certain amount of time.

Mihsan

Mandatory joke about cowboy hat.

Sorry.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

schizmo

I don't believe anyone really bothers burying the dead raiders, otherwise they would very quickly run out of space on the map.

ChaosChronicler

Quote from: schizmo on November 24, 2016, 11:14:59 PM
I don't believe anyone really bothers burying the dead raiders, otherwise they would very quickly run out of space on the map.
Wait, I don't have too? *Looks at massive graveyard*

Profugo Barbatus

Quote from: ChaosChronicler on November 26, 2016, 12:22:10 PM
Quote from: schizmo on November 24, 2016, 11:14:59 PM
Wait, I don't have too? *Looks at massive graveyard*

Cremation forever. Personally, my last game had a mod that added bodybags, and those stacked up to 20. Still had to burn them on occasion. Kept a count somewhere, passed 600 or so in my first year and a half. Can't imagine having made space for 600 corpses. Especially while avoiding having everyone wander outside the city walls to get some joy looking over the graveyards.

My valuable colonists get proper graves. My throwaway haulers/soldiers just get burned too, unless they died gloriously.

Thirite

I use the the Furnace mod and just dump raider corpses into the massive furnace room. The ones I don't feed to my dogs anyways.

billycop32

colonists and allies get graves in a tomb for my colony. enemies always get burned.
my more expensive sarcophagus pieces get reserve for my VIPs though, should they fall.
+1 to this event, it might happen immediately after a raid too.
"the enemy calls for a cease fire. your colonists watch with respect as they gather some of their dead and leave" (this event can't occur for pirates though)

FridayBiology

I like this reclaiming a dead relative idea perhaps if the relative can't be found then another raid occurs at greater strength. either way it'll reward a honorable dead colony just by having a different event.
Maybe we could change it to have a friendly member of a hostile faction arrive to request to reclaim body of a dead relative, or possibly favored warrior leader's weapon/shield/heirloom or some such.

I normally build a small body farm (3x3) room in my freezer which hide the bodies from colonists who are going in to get a simple meal. Then my animals haul everything anyway and get to self replenish there own food source. I have noticed that cats seem to prefer animal corpses and bears seem to like human flesh. I also normally have a rotten allowed low corpses zone in a out of the way location which i set fire to every now and then. So anything that rewards me for keeping a body around would be a great addition to variety.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

buttflexspireling

Another motive for a raid could be for access to
colonists' geothermal power and grow light fixtures
for plants. I try not to think of it in terms of a Mars
military base supply line.