BTW, space trading makes no sense

Started by Lightzy, December 02, 2016, 06:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozobub

Nope!  In fact, most routes would probably be endlessly repeated giant circuits of the system, on least-energy orbits (which would take years).  I can easily see large corporations from more-developed worlds in the same system funding sporadic circuits, as well.  I mean, some of those drug-addled rimworlders are manufacturing advanced bionics AND incredibly valuable art AND drugs, all in one stop!

Even moreso, in a "Firefly-esque" large system, with many bodies more-or-less colonized and/or terraformed.  Which would make "tramp" non-FTL freighters potentially viable.

And who's to say your own world isn't better..?  Somewhere where there aren't cannibalistic, hat-making, psychotic, drug-crazed, heavy weapon-toting impromptu colonists, that is :o .  So not the US, basically, using Earth as the model xD .

...Let's face it, the way most people play implies your shipwreck was from a prison or pirate ship.
Thanks, belgord!

mumblemumble

But ships would require maintenance, places to offload silver, ect, and that takes a port

....see this is why I claim space bureaucracy.. bureaucracy is always a pain  in the ass, and space bureaucracy makes a LOT of sense.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: Lightzy on December 03, 2016, 03:13:22 AM
Doesn't make sense, or perhaps I misunderstood the explanation.

A trader has to have an "end port" somewhere, somewhere to go with all that "profit".
As explained it's not on the player's word because there's no cities or spaceports.
So the trader must probably go somewhere BETTER after conducting some profitable trade.

So unless all traders in rimworld are automated "trade kiosk" ships with an algorithm saying "stay at this planet, make profit!", with no controller to call them home,  I still don't get why the pawns can't hitch a ride.

(BTW animals/humans are probably held in cryostasis so no resource drain really)

Life support's expensive. The only traders that should have spare human cryostasis pods would be slave traders. And frankly, would you trust them to take you someplace better? Between that and traders not trusting random hitchhikers on a planet swarming with pirates, I think there's plenty of excuses why traders wouldn't take travelers.

But in the end, it boils down to "just repeat to yourself, it's just a game, and you should really just relax". The reason traders won't "rescue" your colonists is because it would make the game too easy, simple as that. You may as well ask why your colonists can't travel back to an Outsider town with a friendly caravan rather than stay out in the middle of nowhere.

Bozobub

Because many of them simply won't have the life-support capacity, cryo pods, or what-have-you or will even care to futz with passengers.

Some tramp freighter crew probably isn't going to be all that thrilled with letting ANY groundpounder onto their ship.  And they simply may not have the capacity to do so.
Thanks, belgord!

Lightzy

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 03, 2016, 05:45:29 AM
But in the end, it boils down to "just repeat to yourself, it's just a game, and you should really just relax". The reason traders won't "rescue" your colonists is because it would make the game too easy, simple as that. You may as well ask why your colonists can't travel back to an Outsider town with a friendly caravan rather than stay out in the middle of nowhere.

That's a stupid conclusion to the thing, I think.
If the game makes you go "oh no it's just a game that's why", then it's not amazing world design.
That's why I said it should be explained INGAME why nobody would take you.

I think there should even be a conversation option with traders to go "can you take me back home?" and traders will always give a reason why they won't.
There should be several different such replies. It could be an inside joke of rimworld, that traders will simply never take you but you can ask them again and again and always get a different reply.

Kind of like clicking on warcraft 2 units a lot, for those who know :))

mumblemumble

screw it I'm going to make my own canon then

So space has lots of bureaucracy for immigration. Ships, transports, cargo runners, all need papers, and those which don't are subject to fines, seizure, jails, ect. This is something which has been an issue for many years... But what would explain all the issues in the game besides this?

War...yes war. There is a galactic war waging above the rimworld, and the ship which got hit was a refugee ship which got shot. Refugees were fleeing from a system, which would ALSO explain why there are so many friends, family, exes, and other stuff, because in a systematic evacuation, its not hard to imagine a few ships being shot down, and being stranded on a backwater planet.

The rimworld is outside the target zone for the war, and MOST are a collection of misfits who had nothing to do with it, but in the mass crazyness and panic for the war, still occasionally gets targetted, by mechanoids, spacers, people looking for "the bad guys" who are trying to hide anywhere, even on a rimworld.

This ALSO explains the armaments everywhere, falling ship parts, containers, ect. They aren't just random, they are the bits of chaos which happen above the colonists VERY HEADS!!! The colonists are stuck in the middle of it all, far too small to really be involved, but small enough to be off the radar for a majority of the fighting.

All the events, all the escape pods with people with gunshot wounds, all the ship parts, mechanoids, trader ships, refusal to be picked up, all of these are due to the chaos of intersteller warfare.

But hey, thats just a theory...a GAME THEORY..

....alright kill me
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

TamTiTam

Your colonists are part of a futuristic game show, brainwashed to believe that they are "crashed" and mining compacted machinery makes sense.

Your enviroment is strictly controlled by "storytellers", who make exciting stuff happen whenever the viewers get bored.

All the events, all the cargo pods, mechanoids, trader ships, refusal to be picked up, all of these are due to rich people being bored.

Profugo Barbatus

Quote from: TamTiTam on December 05, 2016, 01:34:37 PM
Your colonists are part of a futuristic game show, brainwashed to believe that they are "crashed" and mining compacted components makes sense.

Your enviroment is strictly controlled by "storytellers", who make exciting stuff happen whenever the viewers get bored.

All the events, all the cargo pods, ship parts, mechanoids, trader ships, refusal to be picked up, all of these are due to rich people being bored.

And suddenly, glitter worlds make sense.

codyo

Why would you want to leave anyway?
More fun staying on the rimworld with your cybernetic enhanced girlfriend.

Bozobub

Well, yeah, especially if you LIKE making hats out of your neighbors >.> ...
Thanks, belgord!