-100C in winter and +30c in summer on boreal forest

Started by TheOcean, December 03, 2016, 01:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOcean

It's possible to change temperature value of each biom?

Especially like in topic title.

Shurp

Short answer: no.

Long answer: temperature is determined by latitude and elevation.  Rainfall is determined independently too.  Biome is *then* assigned based on these.  So if a location is sufficiently wet and cold it will be assigned boreal forest.  Drier and it becomes tundra; warmer and it becomes Temperate forest.

Hypothetically it should be possible to modify how it assigns biomes... but I admit I have no idea how it does this.

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shurp

Quote from: Tynan on July 18, 2015, 01:39:25 AM
Actually the way it works is that the world generates temperatures and rainfalls, then the biome is determined from those.

I'm sad to report, however, that this whole process is hardcoded now. There may be a way to inject changes into the process via DLL but it's not exactly straightforward. Sorry.

But what you *can* do is switch <defName>IceSheet</defName> and <defName>BorealForest</defName> in your mod copy of Biomes_Cold.xml so that wherever the game decides to put IceSheets will be really cold, dry, and stuffed with trees, animals that quickly freeze to death, and marshes :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

TheOcean

Quote from: Shurp on December 03, 2016, 02:53:45 PM
Quote from: Tynan on July 18, 2015, 01:39:25 AM
Actually the way it works is that the world generates temperatures and rainfalls, then the biome is determined from those.

I'm sad to report, however, that this whole process is hardcoded now. There may be a way to inject changes into the process via DLL but it's not exactly straightforward. Sorry.

Thanks. I see it's possible in scenario editor sudden cooling or something x10 or more.

But what you *can* do is switch <defName>IceSheet</defName> and <defName>BorealForest</defName> in your mod copy of Biomes_Cold.xml so that wherever the game decides to put IceSheets will be really cold, dry, and stuffed with trees, animals that quickly freeze to death, and marshes :)

Andy_Dandy

Seems like the average temperature for the year never can go below -10C on Boreal, and -20C on Tundra. I prefer to find maps with an average close to that when I'm starting games with those biomes.

Spdskatr

Technically you CAN, but it involves starting a new world. No def messing involved.

New Colony > Scenario Editor > Edit Mode > Add Part > Permanent Map Condition > Climate Cycle.

Climate cycle means that in year 1 the average temperature might be 5C, year 2 14C, year 3 30C, year 4 10C, year 5 -3C in a multi-year cycle.

So you could have the weather patterns of ice sheet and extreme desert in one map.
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Shurp

That's not going to get the temperature down to -100

Spdskatr

On an ice sheet, with climate cycle at its lowest point, and with a cold snap... Maybe?

I thought that was what OP meant.
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

TheOcean

I really like extremely low temperatures. It's awesome challenge. So i try it.

Shurp

OP wanted a wide temperature range in a boreal forest.  Trees are nice to have around :)