Social Fights Killing Colonists MUCH too frequent

Started by iamomnivore, December 03, 2016, 04:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konscience

Hahahaha sound like those tribes in Africa who slaughter their owns because they were born albinos...
Still it's quite sad (or maybe controversial for the more sensitives).

faltonico

One of my pawns died in a social "claw" fight (neko people from the orassan mod), the surviving one got into another fight the day after, this time with my protagonist (rich explorer scenario)... After the fight ended (no one died) I killed him on the spot (guilty of attempted murder). Immediately installed the "no more random death" mod.
It really irked me that it could happen anytime again, when i least expect it, and that i could do nothing about it. It was just a fist fight, nobody had to die!, I didn't even know it could happen!.

There are many things like this in this game, that makes it artificially harder, i hope this gets fixed some day (it is still alpha). Or better, that Tynan changes his mind on those matters.

Goldenpotatoes

People really seem to underestimate the damage someone can so with just their fists if they're pissed off enough.

You have tabs that tell you exact info on people's relationships with one another. Two colonists get in a scuffle due to overall bad relationship? Assign them to different work shifts to keep them separated but still productive.

If I'm a colonist in an already stressful situation of living on the rim and Tim the crafter decides to make a passing comment about my mother being related to a muffalo, I'm probably gonna make sure he knows how I feel. Probably with my fists.

Encrtia

I don't know... I always found it fishy when my pacifist raged & assaulted his own colonists that are stranded together from a spaceship crash, but wouldn't help fend off against raiders that want to do far worse.
~When death is smiling at you, just smile on back.

Alenerel

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on December 13, 2016, 07:25:18 AM
If I'm a colonist in an already stressful situation of living on the rim and Tim the crafter decides to make a passing comment about my mother being related to a muffalo, I'm probably gonna make sure he knows how I feel. Probably with my fists.

You have a point. I just imagined the situation and I would be very mad and depending in if I like the person, neutral or he already been being an asshole the whole time since the crash I would go even with intent to kill.

Still, this is a game not a real life simulator. The only question to ask ourselves is, is it balanced? The problem is if you gang the colony in melee to stop these two pawns, they can end up dead too and I think thats not fair. There should be something like an option to make several pawns arrest one pawn at same time to ensure they win or an option to melee them without being lethal.

Konscience

Quote from: Alenerel on December 15, 2016, 06:15:06 PMwithout being lethal.
This ^
The only idea so far I had, was to create awfull wooden club, burn them to 5% hp with molotovs, then use them as crowd control weapon.
(If you wanna know why wooden club and not wooden shiv,
well the awfull wooden shiv do 1pt damage, but can easily hit the eyes, who never heal)

Thyme

I had a social fight involving one pacifist. The pacifist didn't fight back, he seemingly wanted to go away, but the attacks locked him in his tile. Seems like there're no pacifists actively being involved in social fights.

Sent from my HTC
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

iamomnivore

As an update, I finally overcame my rage and started playing again, to finish out and launch to space. Three arrests / social fights later ... Two dead. You have got to be kidding me.

@Goldenpotatoes, Until we have a justice system, for punishing this, in some way (besides spitefully killing off the offender, which I've done before) it's just not fun or balanced. I agree with @Alenerel: This isn't a real life simulator -- it's a game and this particular component is not even fun. There are PLENTY of ways in which to lose a colonist, already.

Also, in arrest situations that don't even involve the emotional rage component ... why is anybody dying? If you go to arrest, and they berserk, the arrester shouldn't be murdering them, as a response. Also, your comment about "just separating them" when they have bad social relations is ... just not practical, in a game that already requires mountains of tending / micro. I say this because I've seen plenty of "Rivals" born from fairly low negative social scores. Am I to anticipate every -15 relationship, as a potential Rivalry and separate my entire colony, at all times? My answer to this is not, "no" but, "Hell no."