Chickens from Hell

Started by PiggyBacon, December 08, 2016, 05:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiggyBacon

Now I'm no stranger to the apocalypse that is the rimworld chicken and I'm sure a lot of other people arn't either. But I'm all for finding a better solution to my chickenocalypse. Whats the best approach to take for chicken farming?

ZestyLemons

Two living spaces for chickens, one for males and one for females.

Assign one male to female space when you want to get s'more chickens.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Spdskatr

Invert your home zone and tell the chickens to go eat for themselves. Bloody freeloaders.

There are also quite a few mods (eg. Fluffy's Animal Tab) that can aid in your quest to control the fowl uprising.

Have Fun!
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Mkok

Quote from: PiggyBacon on December 08, 2016, 05:10:01 AM
Whats the best approach to take for chicken farming?

Anyone tried doomsday launcher yet?  ;)

Rock5

I used to have the barn as home zone so all the eggs are laid unlocked. Then set first priority meals that use fertile eggs first before anything else. That was the only way I could keep the chicken number under control. I had roosters separate but they still mated with the hens when feeding. I couldn't be bothered setting up a separate freezer for roosters. If you don't create priority bills for fertile eggs some eggs WILL slip through and hatch.

I honestly don't know why people keep suggesting letting animals free range. The amount of time it takes to haul all the eggs all over the map, as well as other resources such as wool and milk, makes it completely unfeasible. Barns are the only way to go as far as I can see.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

PiggyBacon

Only real reason I keep chickens around is for fine meals. 1 egg and 5 corn is unbeatable but the little basterds come in and take over everything.....You try to keep them In order but no next thing you know they are everywhere. If only chickens could be trained to attack.....

14m1337

Quote from: PiggyBacon on December 08, 2016, 07:49:46 AM
If only chickens could be trained to attack.....

this is rimworld, NOT hyrule!
Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

eadras

Quote from: ZestyLemons on December 08, 2016, 05:22:26 AM

Yeah, exactly this.  Make two separate non-overlapping animal zones, with roosters assigned to one and hens to the other.  Move the roosters over to the hen house only when you need a clutch of chicks.

Most problems like this can be solved with zone or stockpile customization.

MisterVertigo

Quote from: ZestyLemons on December 08, 2016, 05:22:26 AM

This is what I do. I let the males and females mingle for a while until I have a reasonable number of females. Then you can either butcher or sell all the male chicks. I only kept one rooster. He's separated off in a tiny room by himself in the barn, and I have a one-tile zone of kibble for him. I don't THINK kibble needs to be refrigerated. I make that one-tile stockpile critical, and when it's got a full stack the rest of the kibble will go to the rest of the livestock. The trick is keeping the human meat in stock to make the kibble with! :)
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Pink Omega

Quote from: PiggyBacon on December 08, 2016, 07:49:46 AM
If only chickens could be trained to attack.....
What if I tell you that I can make a mod that add robotic chickens or maybe a new type of chicken that you can train obedience...Would you like it? Idk sorry for asking that question i'm just a bored guy that have free time and likes to do little mods, hehe.

<=To Be Continued/\/

Thyme

Release-trained chicken would act as flare, flooding the pirates with targets. Better than any cover. I love it!

Sent from my HTC
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

keylocke

same thing i do with all livestock (cows,pigs,chickens)

i keep breeders in a safe place where i store their food. (usually 2 males and 2 females for each specie). the rest, i let them free roam outside the base (invert area, then remove my home base from their allowed area)

as for attack/hauling pets : like dogs/wolves/boars/bears/etc.. i also keep 2 males and females in home base unattached to a master. the rest are unrestricted and i assign to a beastmaster brawler with shield, which i use to outflank the enemy snipers.

my free roaming livestock also serve as distraction for enemies. then i just cook away the casualties.

Alenerel

There was a video of Blitzkriegler where he zoned all his 500 chickens to the raiders and the chickens obliterated them.