Post your Alpha 15 Tips

Started by SpookCrow, December 08, 2016, 01:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpookCrow

The title says all:

Place a passive cooler in prisoner rooms if you dont want to build a cooler. Trust me my prisoners died of a heatstroke during a heat wave because I didnt know about the passive cooler.
"Fear is the enemy within you that can lead to your demise." -Spook

Bozobub

I just use air-conditioning for the entire base ^^' .  But I also use a LOT of power-hungry mechanics, so YMMV quite a bit - lol.
Thanks, belgord!

Shurp

Smokeweed is a fantastic cash crop. All traders buy joints and any colonist can make them.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Alenerel

Quote from: Shurp on December 08, 2016, 04:39:57 PM
Smokeweed is a fantastic cash crop. All traders buy joints and any colonist can make them.

Hmm, never thought of it that way, it was always min max. But even an useless pawn with 0 crafting and no passion can make them.

SilentP

Put lights in every room to keep bugs away.

SilentP

Make two banks of batteries on opposite ends of your base.  Put a switch between the batteries and your power lines.  Charge up all the batteries then turn off one bank.

When the power explodes, you can switch on your other batteries and not risk losing food.

Goldenpotatoes

Redundant powerlines are your best friend. Having a grid-like pattern where everything connects up multiple times helps prevent situations where a break in a line could shut down an entire section of a colony. It also gives more places for zztt events to pop that isn't somewhere potentially vital.

Speaking of zztt events, they base their explosion size on the amount of batteries hooked up to the grid it triggers on. Having multiple power sources for day/night can honestly negate the need for more than 3-4 backup batteries and keep damage to a minimal.

Spdskatr

Credit goes out to Gray Still Plays and his playlist.

Here are some tips he mentioned:
Don't sell lavish meals. Sell simple meals.
Downed centipedes and scythers make great shooting training.
Don't stab an animal to death. Get your doctor and rescue the animal, then euthanize it.
Board your entrance up with rocks. Lots of rocks.
You can invert your allowed and animal areas.

Some of my tips:
Buy eggs. Just remember not to put them next to artillery shells:P
Don't sell prisoners. Better to harvest their organs.

My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Cimanyd

Quote from: Spdskatr on December 08, 2016, 09:02:30 PM
Don't sell prisoners. Better to harvest their organs.

Better in what way? It's great for training doctors, and I recommend doing that, but I don't think a little bit of extra silver would be worth the much bigger mood loss of harvesting organs from a prisoner (x2), killing a prisoner by organ harvesting, and an innocent prisoner dying, versus just selling a prisoner.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Canute

Harvesting organs/selling prisoner you only should do anyway if your colony can accept the mood debuff anyway.

But if you can affort to feed 1-2 prisoner you should keep them to train social skill.

And when you can get new prisoners from a new raid, release the others. At his way you can get neutral with them maybe and rob a caravan of these faction later.

carbon

Uranium makes the best autodoors. Nearly the same health as plasteel, and just as fast to open, but have 0% flammability.

Although given how hard it is to stockpile that much uranium and the cost (one door is $3000+ value), only your most important doors can be converted.

shigimoru

Alenerel

Yes and no. Bug have more chance to spawn in dark areas, so If you have all your base under rough mountain illuminated they will choose some other mountain to spawn. However if there is no other mountain to spawn they will still spawn under the light.
Also they wont spawn in areas too cold or too small rooms.

The cheapest solution is to have a room 11x11 protected by turrets where bugs will always spawn. It should have a heater or two to keep the temp over 0, but no light.

Respones

- Bugs do not spawn (under a thick roof) if temperature is less than -17.
Its the only one guaranteed way. So living in cold biomes now have some benefits.
- You can butchering people safely if pawn have trait "Psychopath" or "Bloodlust"
This pawn will not get any loose mood, others get non-stacking -6 mood at 5 day. Butcher all corps at one time. And butcherer will have -10 relationship with all, even with colonists that joined after butchering, but it is also non-stacking
- If you make your prisoner peg leg, and then remove it - he's cannot be escape... but when you remove peg leg you will get -20 relationship with his fraction - its may be bug or not

Thundercraft

Quote from: Spdskatr on December 08, 2016, 09:02:30 PMBoard your entrance up with rocks. Lots of rocks.

??? To clarify, are you talking about how rocks can slow down raiders, because they have to crawl over them to get to your colony?

Quote from: Spdskatr on December 08, 2016, 09:02:30 PMBuy eggs. Just remember not to put them next to artillery shells :P

:o Dare I ask what happens if this advice is ignored? :D

Quote from: Alenerel on December 09, 2016, 09:54:55 AM...The cheapest solution is to have a room 11x11 protected by turrets where bugs will always spawn. It should have a heater or two to keep the temp over 0, but no light.

That sounds like cheating... I'm still tempted to try that, though. ;D