The Blood Machines Would've Been Quicker...

Started by zathura, December 10, 2016, 01:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zathura

Started a tribal run (first one in A-15). Went "easy" on myself and chose CC at around the medium diffulty (Challenge, I think it's called).

First year went more or less without a hitch, other than losing a single colonist in a freak accident involving an ostrich. Near the end of the year, a blight wiped out what was left of the crops, but we had over 1k of Pemmican, nearly as much kibble (might as well recycle the raiders. Only colonists get the honor of being buried).

The next Spring, began expanding our crop fields to build up a stockpile (we were running low on food towards the end there). Then...

Toxic Fallout.

Then, Manhunter pack.

Then, Heat-Wave.

Then, Volcanic Winter.

Then, Blight.

All in less than a single season.

Coupled with the fact I've only got 8 colonists (two of which are brand-spanking new), and one is completely useless. Breaks down every couple days, can't haul or clean...and is only good for cooking and animal handling.

I've given her a club and started sending her into the thick of raids...but she's still alive...somehow. (I don't even allow them to use medicine on her). >.<

There's so many little things that need doing around the colony that it seems like nothing at all gets done, and the blight happened -WHILE- I had everything flagged for premature harvest just to get a heads-up during the Volcanic Winter.

Now I'm down to about 18 meals, 100 or so pieces of pemmican, no kibble or hay for the animals (may be slaughtering most of them soon), and starting all over again on crops.

This game hates me...I swear.

buttflexspireling

The blood machines would've probably wanted, collectively, to squirt layers of mud over layered trays filled with indoor crops. All the while, they would likely bombard it with excess heat from underground hydrogen atom-splitting power plants controlled by a Borg-like sub-race.

zathura

Unfortunately...this colony's story was cut short by a marauding band of manhunter boomalopes...which got past the defense and set fire to my mostly wooden structures.

...so people find this kind of stuff "fun" huh?

No wonder I always used to play on Phoebe Basebuilder...and even she would get hectic later on. I mean...I'm all for a challenge, as long as I have a reasonable chance of overcoming it. When you throw a dozen terrible things at me at once...it's not fun...it's just frustrating. :/

Spdskatr

Quote from: zathura on December 10, 2016, 07:43:30 PM
Unfortunately...this colony's story was cut short by a marauding band of manhunter boomalopes...which got past the defense and set fire to my mostly wooden structures.

...so people find this kind of stuff "fun" huh?

No wonder I always used to play on Phoebe Basebuilder...and even she would get hectic later on. I mean...I'm all for a challenge, as long as I have a reasonable chance of overcoming it. When you throw a dozen terrible things at me at once...it's not fun...it's just frustrating. :/

I remember someone who said, "Cassandra never gives up." Classic example. Honestly, Randy Random is better than this. Maybe they should swap roles...
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

mumblemumble

Honestly, I love when the game gets me in a stranglehold and just barely lets me teeter on the edge of survival...makes it feel rewarding.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

A Friend

Same, but it sadly becomes rarer and rarer the more experienced you get. A few more colonies and you'll eventually find yourself unchallenged and bored.

OP, I suggest save scumming if you're not fond of losing.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

zathura

Quote from: A Friend on December 11, 2016, 02:03:13 AM
Same, but it sadly becomes rarer and rarer the more experienced you get. A few more colonies and you'll eventually find yourself unchallenged and bored.

OP, I suggest save scumming if you're not fond of losing.

I try my best not to, with the exception of pre and post-surgery. I'm -NOT- losing a colonist to a surgical cut to the brain while getting a peg-leg installed.

More recently, I tried reloading a save multiple times where, shortly after loading, 4 of my colonists all came down with plague, and I only had 7 medicine to share between them, and no herbal medicine (didn't have anyone with a high-enough skill the first year). After about 5 retries, I managed to save two, as opposed to losing all four.

Unfortunately, one of those I lost was my doctor, and the next person I recruited who had a doctoring skill above 2 was missing a leg...hence the saving before surgery, because he died (in alternate realities), about 5 times trying to stick that peg-leg on, haha.

(This is all from the latest game, mind you, not the tribal one. I said screw that noise and went with the traditional 3 crashed colonists. At least I don't have much in the way of a research debuff. It's hard enough as it is).

As for the whole, "Once you play enough, it stops being a challenge", I disagree. I've been playing this game on and off since A7 or A8, and usually fire it up for a good 40-50 hours every update (enough time for 3-4 colonies depending on how it goes). Imo, the game used to be easier when you could just set up one really magnificent killbox.

Now you're just punished no matter what. Set up a killbox, they send sappers. Build in the open, have a siege. Want to dig into a mountain for safety? Have some Starship Trooper bugs. Running out of food, and really needing that potato harvest? Have a Blight, toxic fallout, and heatwave....simultaneously.

It's....-kinda- funny after the fact, but not while playing, lol.

Drathmourn

I tried, i really did. But i HAD to put on the mod "Less Event Trolling" I just had no fun with eclipse after solar flair after eclipse after breakdown after manhunter pack after toxic fallout after eclipse after heatwave after heatwave after blight after eclipse. At some point you just have to realize its so random its chaos and unplayable. it was only really fun when the 40 pawn tribal raid was attacked by the 80 boomrat manhunter pack. That little gem refreshed my flagging spirits and rallied greatly until the hive spawned in my main dining area out front of all the bedrooms and they ate everyone as they came out.

amodchecker

this may sound odd,  but the "extreme" maps are easier then the "habitable" maps, few (if any) raids, no man hunting packs, and a heatwave/cold snap might just make your colony more habitable or won't do much (180F to 230F, not all that bad) you do have to be quick as heck to get the mountain bunker built though
you can include my mods in your mod pack,  but you must give credit to me and there must not be any amount of money involved,

you can make mods of my mods as long as you give credit

you must inform me if you use my mods in any way shape or form