Additional global variable at colony start

Started by Anxarcule, December 08, 2016, 02:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anxarcule

I've been playing/trying to win with a number of tribal colonies and managed to get one to the 1/3rd point as far as the research tree until I stupidly attacked a siege without proper planning losing 4 of my tribe of 8...  I was really kicking myself because I could have called in assistance, as I did earlier with a manhunter pack of wargs.  But I digress..

The tribal start causes a significant increase in research time, and I think that is a fantastic global variable to be able to start the game with (based off the colony's tech level).  In addition to this, I think it would be interesting to add the following as options as well:

• No/Low/Standard/High Morality - this would add a multiplier of 0x, 0.5x, 1x, 1.5x for any immoral act relating to prisoners such as selling them into slavery, harvesting organs, and executing. 
  • Dynamic tech levels - this would increase the colony's tech level based on the number of tasks researched.  For example, neolithic projects are worth 1, medieval 2, industrial 3, etc.  Once you reach a certain amount of points you would become a new tech level.  This could be coupled with a rebalanced research cost so you can try and research a spacer project for 20000 as a medieval but it might make more sense to wait until you are industrial and research it for 10000.  In my mind, this would also affect recruiting (i.e. tribals would no longer be as keen to join if you improve from neolithic to medieval)
  • Basic / Advanced / Standard weapon aptitude - this would cause a 75%/125% penalty/bonus for using weaponry outside of the colony norm.  For example, setting to basic and using a charge rifle would invoke the penalty, while using a SMG would cause a bonus.  Now that I type this, this might make more sense a trait, although we already have 2 shooting traits 

keylocke

+1 on these.

there should be more options to customize the tech/research and morality variables.

i actually have a similar post, but mostly requesting for more options in the scenario editor to be able to modify settings for world generation and stuff.

Serenity

For the tech levels try the Tech Advancing mod. It allows you to set that you advance a level after you researched a certain percentage of techs. Very neat. Would also work well in vanilla.

Thyme

I secondhand this!
When the scenario system came out, I played as tribe and thought I could get rid of the research speed penalties through progress ... well, didn't. Would be nice tho.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

Harold3456

The morality one is easily the most overdue, as people have been complaining at least since I joined these forums (A11) about things such as "prisoner execution", "harvest organs" and "sold into slavery" debuffs. Some of us just want to play as a gang of murderous psychopaths!

I know it would probably be a lot of work, but I've wanted the morality system to be more relative for a long time. For example, executing a prisoner is terrible the first time you do it, when your colony is set at, say, morality 0. But as you do it more, and your baseline morality drops to -10 or -20, then you stop getting debuffs. This would emulate the psychological desensitization to atrocities that real people experience.