Refine health : more incaps, more health, less amputations in combat.

Started by mumblemumble, December 10, 2016, 04:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

So looking on the health issues long and hard, I've noticed several things....

-Torso has the SMALLEST health, for how likely it is to be hit...most deaths are from a "destroyed torso" whatever that means
-theres a line between being able to walk on a mangled leg, and having it straight RIPPED OFF... Really, while legs can be ripped off, I think 1, legs would be more durable, and being unable to walk would happen long before a leg got blown off
-scars seem like an arbitrary dice roll

This is why I suggest this...

-health of all externals is increased, while the effects of damage is INCREASED....so a leg can be damaged with say, 2 shotgun blasts, and TECHNICALLY be connected by a few shreds of sinnew, but be completely useless. It would be attatched, and you could have someone in the hospital for several days trying to let it heal, but they WONT be walking for a while
-Torso would have much higher health, and the damage done would be expressed in bleeding, and manipulation / moving hits. Rarely would you see the torso "broken". but a dozen shots in the torso would still cause bleed out, and organ damage.
-Large traumatic injuries, going to the point of severe incapacitation (leg falling under say, 30% of new hp limit) would have a very high chance of developing a scar, not because of "bad medical care", or a dice role, but because it was THAT fucked up by the injury. Because, you know, generally extremely traumatic injuries means the body never QUITE works right again.
-If treated badly, mangled, badly damaged extremities will be useless, and will REQUIRE amputation, to prevent infection, or just to chop off a useless, mangled piece of flesh which isn't working anymore, and slowing the colonist down. This would also make severe injuries more severe, so even if you bandage someone, that MIGHT not be the end of it.
-It will take several days to tell if a limb is badly screwed up enough to need to be amputated, so theres a very real issue on "should I wait for the best, or cut my loses?"

This way one, death by "torso destruction" is less of a thing, and 2, amputated extremities are less likely, but FUCKED UP extremities are more common. That and the medical system is more long term injury risk, and less "immediate maiming / death risk" for injuries. Most injuries could be survived, unless something essential was hit, or bleed out / infection set in.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Serenity

I'd like for serious injuries to have longer lasting effects. Not necessarily permanent damage, but just take longer to heal than 1-2 days. So if someone is shot up badly, they will have decreased stats for maybe a week or something like that. That way injuries have consequences, but the game doesn't need to resort to amputations immediately.

Kapun

What you say is a really good idea, but i fear it would need a lot of C# codding to make it work. If any expert modder (are you an expert modder?) could do it, it would be awesome. Another idea: headshots should be much more deadly: no more "i shot a raider in the head with a pistol but it only scrached his eye"!

tonsrd

when a pawn is "downed" theres a 67% chance he will die.

( theres a mod that changes this to 0 )