Some newbie questions.

Started by White Owl, October 16, 2013, 06:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Owl

Hi there! I love the game so far, and am very much looking forward to recording some videos for this project, but there are a couple things I don't understand yet.

I built separate bedrooms for my three guys, but they all insist on sleeping on their original spots on the cold hard ground. How can I convince them to sleep inside, out of the rain?

A related question to the first: Is it possible to remove structures after they're built? Say I want to remove a door or wall, how do I do that?

Tynan

The same tool answers both your questions: Sell. Use the Sell tool on anything you built and don't want any more, including sleeping spots.

I may add a tutor note for this :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Spike

Oh good, the White Owl.  :)  I spent some time with your KSP videos when I first started playing it.

White Owl

Thanks very much. I'll probably be back with more questions in a little bit.   :D

Edit: There's a potentially friendly refugee wandering around out there. Can I send a settler to talk to her, maybe convince her to stick around? The only option I see is to arrest her, which seems a little counterproductive...

Spike

From the vids I've seen, that's how you do it.  Arrest them (make sure you have a prison), set someone as warden, and click on the prisoner to change their treatment options.

SteveAdamo

Quote from: White Owl on October 16, 2013, 07:01:25 PM
The only option I see is to arrest her
aye, thats the only option at this point... you can select the type of treatment they will receive once imprisoned however, which includes "friendly chats" to win them over...

but i agree, perhaps another alternative could be provided? perhaps someone with decent social skills could attempt to talk to them, and invite them outright?

you have the benefit of enlisting the new unit immediately (if successful), with the potential risk of initiating a heated discussion/fight with the unit, and risking your own... seems like an interesting situation to get into... :)

Dejix

Yup. Arresting is the only way.

I'm secretly hoping that I can plan and enact an elaborate trap that I can "rescue" a wondering person from causing them to join my colony out of gratitude.

British

Quote from: Tynan on October 16, 2013, 06:45:41 PM
Use the Sell tool on anything you built and don't want any more, including sleeping spots.
Which brings the question: will there ever be a way to directly assign a colonist to a specific non-prisoner (obviously) bed/sleeping spot ?
Something like assigning priorities to drafted colonists.

White Owl

Can my colonists eat muffalo or other critters? I'm betting that isn't implemented yet.

They don't like nutrient paste, but they don't ever seem to eat the crops. Am I missing something?

Rainy

Are you the Youtube White Owl who does the Kerbal Space videos?  If so great vids man, been watching your stuff for a couple of years.

White Owl

Yes! Been looking for a new game to record, and this one is sooo good. Free build, open ended, unscripted but still story driven, science fiction, easy to understand visually, yet deeply complex roots. RimWorld almost seems custom made for Let's Play videos! I consider myself lucky to have found this game early.   ;D

Although I just recorded over 90 minutes straight, only to find Audacity crapped out on me and quit after 3 minutes... so I'm kinda raging at the moment.

Dejix

Thus far only raw crops and nutrient past are available for colonist consumption. Colonists don't like eating raw crops even more than nutrient past and will not do it if nutrient past is available.

SteveAdamo

Quote from: Tynan on October 16, 2013, 06:45:41 PM
The same tool answers both your questions: Sell. Use the Sell tool on anything you built and don't want any more, including sleeping spots.
on a related note, do we reclaim all resources used to build an item (we sell)? will we get back X pieces of metal if we demolish a food generator, or do we lose a portion in the process?

Dejix

From what I can tell you get back 50% of the materials required to build the object. You get it all back if you remove it before it's built.

SteveAdamo

Quote from: Dejix on October 17, 2013, 02:28:17 PM
From what I can tell you get back 50% of the materials required to build the object. You get it all back if you remove it before it's built.
excellent... thanks!

Quote from: White Owl on October 16, 2013, 06:43:49 PMHi there!
White Owl, have you uploaded any of your videos? i tried searching for you on YT, but wasnt sure if this was your name there as well?