Mining camps/ second bases

Started by DemetriaDark, December 13, 2016, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DemetriaDark

So with alpha 16 you can now travel through the world and I noticed that there is a button to settle with you caravan and it got me thinking wouldnt it be cool if you could set up a secondary base that you could transfer resources from it would be another way to get around the lack of metal you run into on flat maps or in the late game

MisterVertigo

This is kind of what I'm hoping to do. The hardest part will be that each "base" seems to be it's own separate colony. So each mining base would need it's own buildings and defenses, as well as things like cooks, doctors, and haulers. I could totally see though that once your main "base" is pretty self-sufficient, it could be good to split some guys off and send them out to get more resources. It will make recruiting a big deal, as if you can get the right guys it could help with setting up that second colony.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

skullywag

Keep in mind theres no simulation of other colonies, they run at full all the time. Could eat most computers.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

MisterVertigo

Yeah, I can't imagine having more than one "full" colony. Even if PC performance wasn't an issue, I'd think micromanagement would be a nightmare. Having a small camp of miners or loggers seems reasonable though.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Illusion Distort

Maybe just set some number of resources to come back to the main base (or settlements), based on the amount of settlements, no simulation required.

billycop32

^kinda like a away mission. maybe the equation below could be a starting point?(warning: math ahead! :gasp: )
so let's say you send a group of 4 pawns on a mining mission
pawn 1 mining skill: 20
2: 16
3: 14
4: 10
for math's sake, let's assume each skill level means 1 more square(35 metal) per day can be mined.
20+16+14+10=60
60 X 35= 2,100 per day!!!!!

yeah don't get your hopes up. I ain't done yet. (muhahahahahah)

now let's say the area in question is mountains. hard terran to work with, so let's add a 20% base deduction to that.
20% of 2,100=420. let's just blaze that off
2,100-420=1,680.

1,680 is still a good haul for a day. too good.....(muahahcoughahahah)

what is the ore availability like in that area?(side note: this percentage should go down by 10% as mining is done.hehe.)
looks like someone has been here before-it is already down to 60%, which means we gotta slap another 40% off of the remaining 1,680.

40% of 1,680= 672
1,680-672=1,008
Good haul, and I'm done playing evil.

thanks to the declining ore availability, it should make metal harder and harder to come by without long missions as the game goes on, as local areas are depleted beyond use able levels, without having to make more than 1 simulation going at the same time.

You could even add events like mine shaft collapse or unexpected ore discovery that could  hinder or help the player.

DemetriaDark

Quote from: billycop32 on December 13, 2016, 05:13:53 PM
^kinda like a away mission. maybe the equation below could be a starting point?(warning: math ahead! :gasp: )
so let's say you send a group of 4 pawns on a mining mission
pawn 1 mining skill: 20
2: 16
3: 14
4: 10
for math's sake, let's assume each skill level means 1 more square(35 metal) per day can be mined.
20+16+14+10=60
60 X 35= 2,100 per day!!!!!

yeah don't get your hopes up. I ain't done yet. (muhahahahahah)

now let's say the area in question is mountains. hard terran to work with, so let's add a 20% base deduction to that.
20% of 2,100=420. let's just blaze that off
2,100-420=1,680.

1,680 is still a good haul for a day. too good.....(muahahcoughahahah)

what is the ore availability like in that area?(side note: this percentage should go down by 10% as mining is done.hehe.)
looks like someone has been here before-it is already down to 60%, which means we gotta slap another 40% off of the remaining 1,680.

40% of 1,680= 672
1,680-672=1,008
Good haul, and I'm done playing evil.

thanks to the declining ore availability, it should make metal harder and harder to come by without long missions as the game goes on, as local areas are depleted beyond use able levels, without having to make more than 1 simulation going at the same time.

You could even add events like mine shaft collapse or unexpected ore discovery that could  hinder or help the player.
I love that idea! And maybe if there is an event it can load up a simulation for you to deal with it, Kinda like how your caravan can get attacked and it loads up a small map

DemetriaDark

SO it turns out you can already do pretty much exactly what I was suggesting here its in the options theres a new slider bar called maximium number of colonys and it can be set all the way to five!
My suggestion now is that you can load a smaller map with your caravan kinda like a camp so you can hunt or mine on a smaller scale without needing to set up a colony