Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

Quote from: Thundercraft on December 12, 2016, 11:08:53 PM
Quote from: carbon on December 12, 2016, 09:07:09 PM2) There's really nothing to prevent me from setting up a mini-colony in the outlander's backyard (I really started to). I can carry in some components and there's always plenty of steel around to mine. I would suggest disabling all building options except walls, sandbags, mortars and sleeping spots while attacking.

Is being able to build in an enemy's back yard a bad thing? I'd sooner call that a strategy than an exploit. Isn't there historical precedence for an enemy to build a new fort near an enemy's position?
I agree to leave this in, its not gamebreaking, not a huge exploit, its just..odd...

No reason to disable it, if you ask me.

Only issue I can see is ALL events, good and bad of colonies are disabled then, including wanderers, and traders, and trying to form caravans soooo... And this is relatively obscure anyways...
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

PocketsOSunshine

Hey Tynan! Great job with the new content! Just wanted to let you know my experiences so far with the new stuff. Also I'm going to list the bugs I've found but I can re-post that information to the bug thread.

Anywhoo, first off, love the new UI content. Just a small example is being able to decide which stone blocks to make. Also, having a tech tree that is a lot more visual is really nice. I also like how raiders and animals can get up after being downed.

Some issues I'm having: first off, I don't know if you'd consider these bugs or if they were intentional: traders are not enabled. As in, they no longer show up. I had a visitor at the beginning of my colony. Almost at the end of my second year and I haven't seen a visitor since the first one.

Also, when you are sending out a caravan, your people don't take care of themselves. I was going to send out a small caravan with two people and they wouldn't eat or sleep while packing. I can force them to eat and then they go back to packing up the muffalo (which is good!). However, they won't sleep and I can't force them to sleep so they (along with the muffalo) pass out from exhaustion. The muffalo cannot be force fed.

I have not actually gone through with a caravan outing, after a few tries (and my people practically killing themselves), I just decided to reload an earlier save before I told them to go out. I'm sure they would have left after packing, but I didn't really give them the chance since they kept practically dying.

Only real bug I saw was that the sound shut off randomly fairly early on. It worked when I reloaded the save (saved after the sound shut off and it came back on alright after restarting the game)

Thanks for the update and keep up the great work :)

PocketsOSunshine

Scratch the "no visitors thing" I said earlier.

Just got a solo visitor.

May have gotten more and just not noticed? I rarely pay attention to the visitors. However, even if I had forgotten about a few, I do think they are at least showing up far less frequently.

There are still no traders that I have seen though.

Dukkha

Loving the update so far.
Have some feedback.

Builders default repair work as priority. Super annoying when trying to rebuild a freezer before everything spoils or my builders have a mental breakdown but they insist on plugging the bullet holes in the walls.

Traders are willing to pay a lot more for goods now. Seems like it could use some more balance. It would be too easy to get rich selling stone blocks when they buy them for around 1 silver each. Also, I've been selling dead raiders clothing for 20-30 silver when they would have sold for .50 in A15.

Colonists insist on hauling corpses to a stockpile before hauling them to a grave.

Is it just me or do colonists build stone floors way faster now? Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but it doesn't feel like I'm "paying" anything for them.

I like that I can't cook in the freezer, or stuff my colonists in a 1x2 room without penalty.

Thanks for the fantastic update.
Losing is fun!

PocketsOSunshine

Just got my first combat supplier so ignore the "no traders" thing as well. Interesting that it took that long to get one though.

Update: Major bug with the trading. Twice I have traded with other factions who came to my colony to trade.
They give me all the silver they owe me but it bugs out and doesn't give my items to the other faction that I'm trying to trade. Awesome for me but potentially game breaking.
I don't know if it's all items, but it was a combat supplier (I've only gotten combat suppliers) and they didn't take the weapons or animals I tried to give them. But they gave me a couple thousand silver. So yay!

MikeLemmer

Can we see the travel time to nearby destinations before sending out a caravan? As is, I have to send out a caravan (and determine how many days of food it has) before I see how long it takes to actually travel somewhere.

O Negative

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 13, 2016, 03:43:01 AM
Can we see the travel time to nearby destinations before sending out a caravan? As is, I have to send out a caravan (and determine how many days of food it has) before I see how long it takes to actually travel somewhere.

I second this request.

Crater

What does it mean when it says "Your faction can only have one base." I assume it's possible to settle another base, otherwise the button wouldn't exist at all. Is there some prerequisite, or do you actually have to abandon your old base entirely to form a new one?

Ashery

Not really a fan of the combined beauty and room stat indicator. The display feels incredibly cluttered regardless of what information I'm looking at and I lose pretty much the entire SW section of the beauty display due to the room stats being displayed on top of it.

In the hundreds of times I've used those tools, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've used them simultaneously.

Quote from: Crater on December 13, 2016, 04:24:59 AM
What does it mean when it says "Your faction can only have one base." I assume it's possible to settle another base, otherwise the button wouldn't exist at all. Is there some prerequisite, or do you actually have to abandon your old base entirely to form a new one?

It's in the options menu.

QuoteTraders are willing to pay a lot more for goods now. Seems like it could use some more balance. It would be too easy to get rich selling stone blocks when they buy them for around 1 silver each. Also, I've been selling dead raiders clothing for 20-30 silver when they would have sold for .50 in A15.

Goods are also quite a bit more expensive. I haven't played a full game (Would be impossible considering how slow I tend to play, anyhow, :p) yet, but in a test game a bionic was selling for ~1900, which is a bit over 40% more than normal.

Alenerel

Are there mods that can work with A16 from A15? For example simple mods that just add or change some defs, like items.

Yoso

Quote from: carbon on December 12, 2016, 09:07:09 PM

2) There's really nothing to prevent me from setting up a mini-colony in the outlander's backyard (I really started to). I can carry in some components and there's always plenty of steel around to mine. I would suggest disabling all building options except walls, sandbags, mortars and sleeping spots while attacking.
Completely disagree, there's no logical reason this should be impossible and it's not really a game breaking advantage. If you want to build a siege camp with a pool table and luxury suites then why not?

Revikli

Tynan please do that on the abandoned colonies could rebuild, and the ruins of the colonies that were built were preserved and the whole card. Please Tynan (I'm sorry for the mistakes Russian)

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: Yoso on December 13, 2016, 06:43:50 AM
Quote from: carbon on December 12, 2016, 09:07:09 PM

2) There's really nothing to prevent me from setting up a mini-colony in the outlander's backyard (I really started to). I can carry in some components and there's always plenty of steel around to mine. I would suggest disabling all building options except walls, sandbags, mortars and sleeping spots while attacking.
Completely disagree, there's no logical reason this should be impossible and it's not really a game breaking advantage. If you want to build a siege camp with a pool table and luxury suites then why not?

There is a logical reason if it exploits the AI too much, but yes, I'd rather see improved AI if possible.

GuesUserNameGUN

Could we maybe get the other bases to have maybe some sort of food generation? Even if it's just in a way of a caravan dropping off supplies or something, it's too easy to just build a small base for a few people and wait till they drop dead of starvation. Also, maybe more loot that makes these bases worth hitting? Such as weapons, gold, silver, bionic parts, etc

carbon

^ That's part of the reason I was against mini-bases on enemy territory.

The others were:
1) Can build mini-killboxes, making offensive raids trivial (and exactly like traditional defense).
2) Events are disabled on the enemy map, so you can safely wait out a negative event at a nearby enemy base (e.g. toxic fallout). That pokes a gaping hole in the "enemy base is dangerous" narrative.
3) It just makes the enemy AI appear even dumber than it already does, given that they don't seem to care about truly egregious trespassing.

Still having walls, sandbags, mortars and sleeping spots available would enable the player to build a plausible siege camp, but long-term infrastructure and hardened defenses are effectively off limits. This is presumably supposed to be a battle, not a slumber party.

The alternative is that the AI is far more aggressive with counter attacks on their territory, always attacking within 3 to 6 hours of arrival. However,  I could easily still see a crude killbox going down in that amount of time (if turrets and traps aren't disabled).

EDIT: I would also strongly recommend turning off ancient danger room generation in foreign faction bases. In many contexts they are just going act as a de facto killbox (lure enemy into a nest of mechs / insects). It is reasonably plausible the local residents would have already cleared out whatever threats were present when they started their colony.