Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grishnerf

just a minor Thing:
many People dont get the multiple colony aspect and still think they only can have 1 colony.
they dont look Options to set it to 5.
maybe add that at new game/planet creation instead.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Tynan

The unstable version has been updated December 13 with some bugfixes, to build 1386.

Git log since last build:

Fix: Temperature changes at wrong hour
Fix: Items with a negative default beauty are modified by quality
FixedCheck graphic is more readable, especially for colorblind.
Typo and backstory miscategorizations.
Fix: Can only smelt grenades, can't smelt what should be smeltable
Fix: If you use "Clear all", the system sets AllowNonDeadmansApparel to false even though it's hidden.
Fix: Default outfits have hidden AllowNonDeadmansApparel set to false.
Enemy bases under attack now counter-attack based on new triggers: Chance on pawn lost, chance per tick, always after 4.2 days, and if urgently hungry. This avoid starvation and various exploits.
Ensure D clothes are made very cheap. 50% factor -> 10% factor. Deadmans apparel has a x0.1  factor score change instead of a -0.5 offset.
Fix: StorytellerComp_AllyInteraction has a maximum time between trade caravans, but it doesn't work unless a trade caravan has already happened randomly.
There's now a message when a caravan runs out of food.
Bases spawn with more enemies.
Fix 2814: Constructors sometimes bring too many resources to frames
Player content update.
"Days worth of food" calculation is now more accurate.
Fix 2846: Drug addiction need is satisfied without drugs while in a caravan
Fix: SplitOff with count <= 0 when forming a caravan
Fix 2832: Mechanoid disassembly efficiency stat doesn't affect mechanoid disassembly yield
Fix 2849: IED going off causes error
Fix: Joy is ticked even while sleeping even though it uses freezeWhileSleeping.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

Quote from: Grishnerf on December 13, 2016, 02:20:23 PM
just a minor Thing:
many People dont get the multiple colony aspect and still think they only can have 1 colony.
they dont look Options to set it to 5.
maybe add that at new game/planet creation instead.

It's not designed as a multi-colony game, most players should only have one. This is intended; when I release the update video it'll have more explanation of this.

ReZpawner

"StartCarryThing desiredNumToTake =-1" seems to be going nuts after the update, do we need to start a new game, or is this just a new bug?

skullywag

Fix: Items with a negative default beauty are modified by quality

does that mean stuff that has negative beauty can now go positive. What about things made of stuff, so as an example if something is made of steel it has a beauty of -1 would making it out of gold put that into positive (it doesnt currently as it cant go above 0 as it was minus to begin with).
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Tynan

Quote from: ReZpawner on December 13, 2016, 02:35:30 PM
"StartCarryThing desiredNumToTake =-1" seems to be going nuts after the update, do we need to start a new game, or is this just a new bug?

Sounds like a bug, let me take a look.

MikeLemmer

@Tynan:
Are downed attackers from failed raids supposed to eventually get back up and wander around? I had a raider get back up and walk around while I was busy building a jailcell for him. Had to beat him back down because he was scaring the colonists.

ReZpawner

Quote from: Tynan on December 13, 2016, 02:46:39 PM
Quote from: ReZpawner on December 13, 2016, 02:35:30 PM

Sounds like a bug, let me take a look.

It seems to fire at any workbench; druglab, electric stove and brewery are confirmed, whenever the desiredNumToTake is =<0. If that helps.

Tynan

desiredNumtoTake error is fixed here. Uploading now. Please wait 30 minutes for upload and then restart Steam and the game to update.

EDIT: Updated and live on Steam now.

ReZpawner

Quote from: Tynan on December 13, 2016, 03:02:00 PM
desiredNumtoTake error is fixed here. Uploading now. Please wait 30 minutes for upload and then restart Steam and the game to update.
As a token of my love for the work you do, I'm never going to turn you into a hat ever again. No matter how nice that hat would be.

Cheers :)

Tynan

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 13, 2016, 02:52:25 PM
@Tynan:
Are downed attackers from failed raids supposed to eventually get back up and wander around? I had a raider get back up and walk around while I was busy building a jailcell for him. Had to beat him back down because he was scaring the colonists.

No, traditionally they don't. I think they couldn't, but maybe new healing code allows them to. Let me look into it. Thanks for the note.

MikeLemmer

Also, this is just a gut feeling ATM, but I think the temperature/rainfall scales on world generation might be too extreme. I set my world to Rainfall +1, Temp +2 and ended up in a rainforest with an average temp of 120F and no Growing Season. I set my next world to Rainfall -2, Temp +1 and now the entire world is Tundra, Shrubland, or Desert. (There's only one tiny patch of forest in the entire world.) I'm not sure if this is working as intended or if it's too extreme.

ReZpawner

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 13, 2016, 03:26:35 PM
Also, this is just a gut feeling ATM, but I think the temperature/rainfall scales on world generation might be too extreme. I set my world to Rainfall +1, Temp +2 and ended up in a rainforest with an average temp of 120F and no Growing Season. I set my next world to Rainfall -2, Temp +1 and now the entire world is Tundra, Shrubland, or Desert. (There's only one tiny patch of forest in the entire world.) I'm not sure if this is working as intended or if it's too extreme.

Don't forget that there are quite a few of us who love playing on extreme maps. I myself am currently enjoying a pleasant outside temperature of -128C, and an average of -96.4C throughout the year. And for once, I didn't have to spend several days finding a seed that was cold enough :)

Alistaire

From a modding point of view, it would be really nice if there was a class between MapParent and FactionBase, something like
Establishment/Settlement which is not necessarily attackable, does not necessarily have a trader present, does not necessarily contain pawns,
etcetera but which is still included in the Caravan float menus so there is a possibility for each of such Establishments to be attacked, traded with,
visited etcetera and most importantly for them to have their own MapGeneratorDef.

• RimWorld.CompLaunchable.ChoseWorldTarget only checks for the faction of a FactionBase, so an Establishment like a faction's tower or
    anything would not be attackable by launch pods. Additionally Establishment.Attackable could be checked for, once that exists
  • RimWorld.Planet.AttackCaravanArrivalActionUtility only considers FactionBase
  • RimWorld.Planet.CaravanArrivalAction_Attack also only considers FactionBase so no other MapParent would be "attackable"
  • RimWorld.Planet.CaravanArrivalAction_Visit same thing, only FactionBase are "visitable"
  • RimWorld.Planet.CaravanVisitUtility.FactionBaseVisitedNow and .TradeCommand only consider FactionBase, again, rendering non-faction
    bases unable to be picked for trade/visiting
  • RimWorld.Planet.FactionBase_TraderTracker could be more general, allowing for non-FactionBase WorldObjects to have trade going on -
    however this may be a modder's job since it's just a bunch of copy-pasting
  • RimWorld.Planet.FactionBaseAbandonUtility could also be more general, to allow abandoning things which are not a faction base
  • RimWorld.Planet.TravelingTransportPods.Arrived could broaden its statements to non-FactionBase enemy Establishments
  • RimWorld.Planet.WorldObjectsHolder.AddToCache and .RemoveFromCache could add for Establishments as well

Currently FactionBase contains a lot of stuff which allows for trading, however the base is also attackable, has one icon only, is referenced by many
Caravan prompts, gizmos and floatmenuoptions.

Another problem is that since the Caravan looks exclusively for FactionBase and RimWorld.Planet.AttackCaravanArrivalActionUtility
.GenerateFactionBaseMap is coded to use the MapGeneratorDefOf.FactionBaseMapGenerator which generates a rectangle, it is quite difficult to
add a new MapParent which is not a FactionBase because Caravan asks for FactionBase in many important locations but it's also quite difficult to
add a FactionBase since this implies no control over the MapGeneratorDef and will always cause traders and attack/visit options to be added.

Jimyoda

On the caravan deployment window, the Config tab...
Minor point: The coordinates in the list don't seem useful at all, and actually a little unsightly and distracting. Previous builds didn't have that, it looked cleaner and better then.

Main point: When picking a direction it would be nice to have a little map preview right there in the window. There's plenty of room. Even if it's just the colony and the immediate surrounding tiles with the caravan icon at the user's current selection. That way the user gets a visual of their choice. In fact, such a preview could replace the radio button interface altogether.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/