Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReZpawner

Are mechanoids supposed to wear clothing at cold maps? I sometimes get an error because of missing graphics due to apparel. I do love the idea of a Scyther wearing a nice red toque, since it brings back fond memories of Santa from Futurama, but the error leads me to think that it could be a bug?

Even if it is, could you just remove the error, and dress them all up in red toques and parkas over Christmas? Ho ho ho and all that. Merry CHTUNK! *screams*

Tynan

Quote from: ReZpawner on December 13, 2016, 04:15:10 PM
Are mechanoids supposed to wear clothing at cold maps? I sometimes get an error because of missing graphics due to apparel. I do love the idea of a Scyther wearing a nice red toque, since it brings back fond memories of Santa from Futurama, but the error leads me to think that it could be a bug?

Even if it is, could you just remove the error, and dress them all up in red toques and parkas over Christmas? Ho ho ho and all that. Merry CHTUNK! *screams*

You're reporting an error message bug - could you please post your output_log with the error message so I can try to solve it? In a thread in the Bugs forum (where all bugs should be reported). Thanks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ReZpawner

Quote from: Tynan on December 13, 2016, 04:18:12 PM
Quote from: ReZpawner on December 13, 2016, 04:15:10 PM

You're reporting an error message bug - could you please post your output_log with the error message so I can try to solve it? In a thread in the Bugs forum (where all bugs should be reported). Thanks.

Didn't know if it was a bug or intended (the wearing clothes part). Submitted at: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27989.0

Is there a way of copy-pasting the debug log? As much as I love writing code (I don't really), it would make things much easier if I could do that, rather than typing out the entire error.

Teh_Dahnald

There should be some sort of difficulty indicator for raiding enemy bases

Tynan

Quote from: ReZpawner on December 13, 2016, 04:30:06 PM
Is there a way of copy-pasting the debug log? As much as I love writing code (I don't really), it would make things much easier if I could do that, rather than typing out the entire error.

The log is recorded in the output_log file in RimWorld_Data in the RimWorld install folder; no need to type anything out!

jeffreybar

Quote from: Ashery on December 13, 2016, 04:39:59 AM
Not really a fan of the combined beauty and room stat indicator. The display feels incredibly cluttered regardless of what information I'm looking at and I lose pretty much the entire SW section of the beauty display due to the room stats being displayed on top of it.

I second this feedback.  In pre-Alpha16 playthroughs, I kept the Room Stats display on almost all the time since it's not obtrusive and it's a good way to keep an eye on cleanliness and such, but the Beauty display is very obtrusive by contrast.  I find myself having to keep this combined option turned off all the time unless I really need to check on a room now since it's hard to see what's going on with all the beauty numbers on the ground.  I would much rather these two options be separate again.

Kastro

Quote from: Tynan on December 13, 2016, 02:21:31 PM

Fix: Default outfits have hidden AllowNonDeadmansApparel set to false.

why make it hidden, though? Wouldn't it be better to allow the player to allow or disallow deadman's apparel?

Tynan

I removed some low-effort "I second this" type posts as per the thread original post.

Quote from: Kastro on December 13, 2016, 05:28:50 PM
why make it hidden, though? Wouldn't it be better to allow the player to allow or disallow deadman's apparel?

The AI will make the distinction effectively. I don't want to offer this "choice" because 99% of players won't really understand what they're choosing between (e.g. how the AI integrates the deadman's status into decision-making). It's essentially a false choice and not worth the extra complexity or cognitive burden, so I'm leaving it out unless there's some specific, decisive reason to add it.

skice

It would be very usefull to be able to prepare Packaged survival meal when you are planning long siege.

GuesUserNameGUN

Quote from: carbon on December 13, 2016, 08:28:48 AM
^ That's part of the reason I was against mini-bases on enemy territory.

The others were:
1) Can build mini-killboxes, making offensive raids trivial (and exactly like traditional defense).
2) Events are disabled on the enemy map, so you can safely wait out a negative event at a nearby enemy base (e.g. toxic fallout). That pokes a gaping hole in the "enemy base is dangerous" narrative.
3) It just makes the enemy AI appear even dumber than it already does, given that they don't seem to care about truly egregious trespassing.

Still having walls, sandbags, mortars and sleeping spots available would enable the player to build a plausible siege camp, but long-term infrastructure and hardened defenses are effectively off limits. This is presumably supposed to be a battle, not a slumber party.

The alternative is that the AI is far more aggressive with counter attacks on their territory, always attacking within 3 to 6 hours of arrival. However,  I could easily still see a crude killbox going down in that amount of time (if turrets and traps aren't disabled).

EDIT: I would also strongly recommend turning off ancient danger room generation in foreign faction bases. In many contexts they are just going act as a de facto killbox (lure enemy into a nest of mechs / insects). It is reasonably plausible the local residents would have already cleared out whatever threats were present when they started their colony.
Maybe not have them be too agressive, but send out a few skirmishers? have them use tactics, and give them multiple different strategies to use so each attack seems different. Also like i saw someone saying before, they should fight to the last man, they are defending their home, their base. At the very least if they run away they should go to some sort of "Main base" for their faction, and if you do that maybe have it at least be like a boss battle, there is a lot you can do in that regard. I mean it could grow as people run away so it could end up being a massive battle late game, and you could possibly do something like you can't build a spaceship until you defeat all of them.  Probably a good idea for the next update though, but just a suggestion as it would help build on a lot of things

carbon

Quote from: skice on December 13, 2016, 05:59:54 PM
... be able to prepare Packaged survival meal...
Pemmican should have plenty of shelf life and is arguably better in a nutrition per kg sense.

----

Would be nice if one could designate certain food-like items to not be eaten by the caravan. Like beer for instance. Boy, do caravans love their beer (if they don't have food left). They'll drink well beyond the downed point.

Speaking of beer, is Cirrohsis of the liver supposed to set in several days after the last beer was had? I had a pawn transitioning down from massive tolerance to large tolerance who was afflicted by it.

----
EDIT:
Also, the new friendly A.I. event really trivializes the end game now.
Tame a muffalo, make some pemmican, throw them together and you've got a one way ticket to space.
The event should direct you to an uninhabited island, so at least you need mid-game tech to get there.

Zhentar

If you're finding it that easy to make it to the AI ship, you've figured out something I haven't (or maybe you just got an easy map?). It's going to take me at least 4 years of journeying at this rate.

ReZpawner

Quote from: carbon on December 13, 2016, 07:34:09 PM
Quote from: skice on December 13, 2016, 05:59:54 PM
... be able to prepare Packaged survival meal...
Pemmican should have plenty of shelf life and is arguably better in a nutrition per kg sense.

----

Would be nice if one could designate certain food-like items to not be eaten by the caravan. Like beer for instance. Boy, do caravans love their beer (if they don't have food left). They'll drink well beyond the downed point.

Speaking of beer, is Cirrohsis of the liver supposed to set in several days after the last beer was had? I had a pawn transitioning down from massive tolerance to large tolerance who was afflicted by it.

----
EDIT:
Also, the new friendly A.I. event really trivializes the end game now.
Tame a muffalo, make some pemmican, throw them together and you've got a one way ticket to space.
The event should direct you to an uninhabited island, so at least you need mid-game tech to get there.

I was 100% certain that the event mentioned was a trap. I got it on day 3, and I've been preparing an attack there for ages now :P

carbon

It may have helped that I was on a 30% generated world. It was also mostly arid shrubland between me and the target. But other than that, there's nothing* special about what I did. Literally everyone of my 3 pawns had some alcohol-related permanent illness and were breaking down repeatedly, but I made it just fine. Mental and physical illness doesn't seem to matter much in caravan progress.

There may also be some trickery to that event in certain cases, but for me it was "GG --> roll credits".

*Strictly speaking, I was playing around with food and beer in dev mode prior to the event popping up. While I wasn't actually playing normally, I didn't do much that made the journey itself easier on the whole. I could have spent the first 5 - 10 days playing normally instead and had just as much food, and a muffalo without all of the alcohol-related side-effects.

terheyden

• "Awful bedroom" - this is great, it's a lasting debuff that will keep players from stuffing colonists into tiny 2x1 bedrooms
  • "Wearing dead person's clothes" debuff - I feel like this falls in the "too much realism" category. It's bad enough that clothes get ripped to shreds during raids, but now the clothes have an everlasting "eww this was touched by a dead person" debuff? It's too much
  • When I capture a fallen enemy now, there's a note in the mouseOver: "Presumed guilty (expires in X hours)." What is that???