Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carbon

Quote from: MarvinKosh on December 14, 2016, 09:36:48 PM
Repairing is still higher priority within the Construction job though.

*Runs quick testing*

Hmm... it seems you're right. I must have just been too manpower-starved in my earlier assessment. (curse you, early-game)

That's still not ideal though. The pawns who handled the quick repair work were rarely the same ones who handled the routine construction.

Quality construction is a job for a high value pawn.
Repair work is the stuff any pawn not currently fighting gets tasked with.

Elixiar

When attacking an enemy base, they should send a pawn to 'investigate' straight away.

Obviously he won't return with his finding because the player will kill or down him. After about half a day in game the enemy colony should go on full alert and not be passive until attacked.
That said, they should not leave their home area until too many casualties have been taken.

Sounds daft they would come out of a the base en masse to attack, and exploitable.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

ChJees

Discussing with people in a Rimworld Discord channel #a16-discussion channel we came to the conclusion that the current way the Research tree is setup makes it extremely troublesome for mods that add their own research to play nice with both the Core mod and other mods.

Our proposed solution for this perceived problem is to make each mod add their own research either up or down from the Core research. It would only have to take up as much space as it needs in order to work well.

Other feedback
I really miss the Repair priority in the Work tab. Made it annoying to MAKE my colonist build Power Cables instead of repairing after a incident. Worst change so far. And speaking of priorities; Let's put down zones where pawns PRIOTIZE certain tasks like hauling so things like crops do not lie outside for long after they are harvested. Pawns feel bloody stupid without such a feature.

As cool as the ability to travel now i do not see any reason to do it even in your first or second year. At the rate we get pawns there is no real need to branch out. Sure we got the Friendly AI event but nothing else in the nearby area seem to happen that warrants you taking your colonists out on a trip. If we could exterminate pirates or a tribe forever then i would put a effort towards it.

Starting out with Stonecutting is possibly the best thing now :D.

The Fueled Generator could use some love too. Allow it to use other things as fuel. Heck, make a variant that allow us to make biodiesel out of crops like corn and that Drop pod fuel.

Cassandra Classic on Rough feel kinda overzealous to screw over my colony. 2nd year in and bad thing after bad thing happened. (From Alpha 15) Also the breaking down events are damn annoying mid to end game.

And from a modding standpoint again; Let's be able to act on events in the game. Could be done like in the Minecraft modding API Forge where you can place annotations on static functions which get called internally from the API whenever the appropiate event is caused. E.g map loaded\saved, map unloaded, game quitting

Gibson8088

So far I'm liking what I see.  Caravans are interesting and can be rewarding, but there's definitely room for growth here.  Any chance we will see a vehicle just for caravan's to make the journey a bit faster?  Would be totally shiny if we could get something like the Mule from Serenity as a late game tech.

MikeLemmer

Notes on minor tweaks in A16 I like:

• Colonists wandering about in a psychotic daze no longer drop their gear, but they stay in a dazed state longer. A bit less dangerous, but no need to follow their every move to haul their discarded clothing either.
  • Escape pod survivors will now join your colony if you rescue them. No more need to capture & recruit them.

Lightzy

Quote from: terheyden on December 14, 2016, 06:44:33 PM
Re: persistent info window:

- select a colonist, then open the "health" pane, for example
- now click away or hit escape
- select another colonist

- in A15, it shows basic info about the second colonist
- in A16, now, the "health" pane is shown again

I agree, it is really annoying.

It's the feature I liked BEST about A16 hands down.

First of all, if you click "character" and go through your colonists it means you want to see their stats and situations, so it handily keeps it open for you instead of you having to click colonist, open char, click another colonist, open char, etc.

And happily you don't HAVE to have it open for you. Simply click something other than "character"! Voila!

Please please please don't change it, it's hella useful

MikeLemmer

Fire weapons seem too OP in this update. I just got into a firefight with some pirates carrying molotov cocktails. Here's how it turned out:

• Colonist gets winged by molotov cocktail, starts burning.
  • Colonist starts running out of cover towards his attackers, making it nearly impossible for others to put him out.
  • The fire on him increases as he's running around through snow. (Apparently they've forgotten how to stop, drop, and roll.)
  • Colonist on fire eventually gets KOed by machine gunners. Fire keeps growing.
  • Pirates attempt to kidnap him. Fire immediately extinguishes once they pick him up.

The fire on a colonist should decrease while they're running around, else catching on any amount of fire is a near-guaranteed KO.

Grishnerf

is it normal that trade Caravans will gather up at a crashed poison ship parts?
i can easily abuse them as meatshields.

the crashed ship is nowhere near my base, on the border off the map. and trade Caravans will idle there.

Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

faltonico

I hope we could find enemy outpost with the same amount of enemies we get when playing cassandra extreme... (NOT the 1100 tribals I once faced though >_<). So far i haven't read of anyone raiding an enemy outpost nowhere near that size.
Does the size of the enemy outpost scale up the same as raids? Or is it a fixed value of possible enemies?

EDIT: Are you being afraid that the game could become too complex that eventually would detract new players?. The reason of my question is that you decided to merge construction and repairing, even though we need even more detailed work priorities, yet you try to condense it.
If you think it would be too daunting to have an even longer list of work priorities, you can try to have yet another mode for the work tab or even 2 more! (now there is the easy one with ticks on it and the numbered one). One exactly like fluffy's worktab and even another one, that should be buried in the configuration menu that looks like the dwarf fortress one (for managers who are obsessed with efficiency that doesn't mind more numbers).
It doesn't need to be in this alpha nor in the next one, but preferably before beta.

carbon

Mike, what you described sounds exactly like previous alphas.

That's precisely why inferno cannons have long been the stuff of nightmares.

Alenerel

Quote from: Lightzy on December 15, 2016, 04:43:32 AM
Quote from: terheyden on December 14, 2016, 06:44:33 PM
Re: persistent info window:

- select a colonist, then open the "health" pane, for example
- now click away or hit escape
- select another colonist

- in A15, it shows basic info about the second colonist
- in A16, now, the "health" pane is shown again

I agree, it is really annoying.

It's the feature I liked BEST about A16 hands down.

First of all, if you click "character" and go through your colonists it means you want to see their stats and situations, so it handily keeps it open for you instead of you having to click colonist, open char, click another colonist, open char, etc.

And happily you don't HAVE to have it open for you. Simply click something other than "character"! Voila!

Please please please don't change it, it's hella useful

I understand you and sometimes I fond annoying to have to bring back the info tab every time, but for me is even more annoying having to close it every time.

I think that the UI should be redone and make a permanent bottom left window with the size between the normal info window and info window+opened tab, so that it always shows the info instead of opening it every time.

carbon

Note, that in A15 (which I just double tested), if you wanted to compare the Health or Character tabs of different colonists you could do so easily by hitting the "<" and ">" buttons of your keyboard to scroll between all of your colonists. You also had the option of using the colonist bar icons at the top of the screen to switch between two colonists directly.

It was only when you deselected all colonists that the tabs would remain close in A15. That system always worked fine for me. By comparison, A16 gets to be obtrusive.

chch88

sorry in advance for unstable english.

1st moment, repair in construction
This is really inconvenient change, i was playing around with big base (devmodded colonists and resources), after big raid there is always tons of stuff to repair, with new system you need add construction to most of your colonists for quick repair of killbox (1 or 2 dedicated constructors would take to much time), than babysit them so after repair is done you remove construction from everyone except your main constructors, otherwise pawns with construction 1 or 2 who was repairing stuff start rebuild turrets and other destroyed objects (and often fail construction). This change just bring additional micromanagement.

2nd new prices
Its nice to see rebalanced prices on stuff, but i think new cost of weapons is a bit too much, raids, especially melee raids just brings to much money.
Maybe make is so weapons price would decrease much mode drastically with decreased health, with 100% health current cost, that way weapons crafted by your colonists would sells for nice money, and damaged weapons (from raids) would cost much less.

3rd new alert on dying crops
While its nice now have alert about stuff going bad, if you have several big growing zones, and plants start do die from whatever, new alerts become really intrusive, especially with sounds.

carbon

Minor UI gripe:

On the initial base location selection screen, if you hit "Select random site", the resulting terrain info screen that pops up is large enough to force the buttons display to shift to the right.

If you quickly read that the game has selected an ice sheet or other unwanted location then click again to re-roll without moving your cursor, there's a decent chance you'll be clicking on "Advanced" now instead.

Note: I'm on a 1366x768 monitor with the smallest (1.0) UI settings.

Alenerel

Quote from: chch88 on December 15, 2016, 08:40:31 AM
3rd new alert on dying crops
While its nice now have alert about stuff going bad, if you have several big growing zones, and plants start do die from whatever, new alerts become really intrusive, especially with sounds.

I agree. In the start of the winter all my crops were expectably dying and each single plant had its own message. I was like LEAVE ME ALONE PLEASE