Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carbon

1) Mini-fied furniture have uniform masses despite being made of things of vastly differing densities.

2) Pod Launchers are have flammability = 0% despite being made of steel (flammable), components (flammable) and varying amounts of fuel (VERY flammable).

3) So far the amount of glitterworld meds I've seen available for sale at outlander bases hasn't been enough to keep up with the supply of bionics. And in general, the bases have way too much silver relative to the amount of goods they actually sell. I keep having to walk away from bases with 1000s of silver, because the bases simply don't have anything worth buying.

4) Caravan speed appears to be determined by the average of all members instead of the slowest. Adding some faster units to a caravan speeds it up, even if they aren't helping to carry any of the load. Haven't tested it, but adding a few squirrels / rabbits to a caravan shouldn't make it go significantly faster.

5) Drug labs don't use electricity or fuel. Good luck trying to do much real life chemistry without so much as a hotplate or burner (or chiller, or mixer, or centrifuge, or exhaust system, or various chemical analysis instruments).

TOWC

Quote from: Tynan on December 19, 2016, 03:04:33 PM
I've just uploaded a build with a fix to the issue, please feel free to test and tell me if it works now!

Yep, packing now works perfectly. Tho, looting is still hard, I hope that you will look into this issue in your future builds.

Zhentar

#2 makes some sense; the launcher has to endure the launches so it is presumable constructed in a way that minimizes flammability.

#4 doesn't make sense, but working off of the slowest would be brutally punishing. An injured pawn or an animal birth could easily double summer travel times.

Quote from: TOWC on December 19, 2016, 05:10:45 PM
I've just uploaded a build with a fix to the issue, please feel free to test and tell me if it works now!

Yep, packing now works perfectly. Tho, looting is still hard, I hope that you will look into this issue in your future builds.

Try Reform Caravan.

TOWC

Quote from: Zhentar on December 19, 2016, 05:13:47 PM
#2 makes some sense; the launcher has to endure the launches so it is presumable constructed in a way that minimizes flammability.

#4 doesn't make sense, but working off of the slowest would be brutally punishing. An injured pawn or an animal birth could easily double summer travel times.

Quote from: TOWC on December 19, 2016, 05:10:45 PM

Try Reform Caravan.

Uh, wasn't looking too thoroughly.
Dammit, it works just magnificent! And also removes that stupid "24 hours untill banishment" problem.

Also, there's another annoying issue with caravans. When you travel, you can't treat your wounds at all. So, if you got hurt in a gunfight and you didn't have time to treat yourself, then you, most likely, will bleed out at the world map while trying to get back to your base. Or die from infections. Yeah, time heals, both in philosophycal and practical ways, but it doesn't treat wounds, unfortunately.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: Alenerel on December 19, 2016, 01:39:54 PM
The problem with map % generation is that you are pretty much forced to set around the middle. If you place your base around the edges everything will be far from you.
I suspect eventually Tynan will put in a way to reveal/explore more of the world as you travel, solving this problem.

Mustang

#1 Confirmation Before launching a pod to a non-colonized tile, I have sometimes missclicked and sent pods to tiles with no settlements or places I didn't want them to go. Maybe I'm just dumb lol.
#2 Burning Drugs one at a time doesn't make sense, it takes too long and it is pointless. You should be able to at least burn all of them together or at least 10.
#3 Attacking other settlements is not worth it, you don't get much out of it and risk dying. Also some more base layouts would be nice too.
#4 I've created a new colony and it was quite hard in the beginning, my survivors were sad, unconfortable and wanted the luxuries they had at my first base and I couldn't provide everything so they kept going on mentalbreaks. Maybe when people moved to a new colony or settled in a new place they should get an excitement (because they are exploring a new land or something)bonus or maybe Cartharsis to help in the early stages of the new village.
#5 after a lot of trouble to get settled i've played 1 year in the new colony and nothing bad happened. Maybe an easier beginning and a progressive increase in difficulty would be nice for the new settlements. Just like your first one.
#6 After a few hours of gameplay merchants dont bring anything useful or don't have enough money so you can sell them stuff. I just buy components and precious metals which feels pretty boring.
#7 Crafting feels too slow. Only artwork and power armor should be that slow, sometimes it feels its not worth it, specially because some of the guns are really lame.
#8 Guns feel pretty bad, doesnt matter what you do or how much skill you have in shooting. I can't hit for shit, I don't know, maybe with higher skills it should be easier to hit specially with the sniper,bow and survival rifle. It's pretty hard on higher difficulties to fight against a large group of enemies if your defensive position isn't great (by great I mean abusing the enemy AI and using ridiculous choke points), even if you micromanage everything battle still feels dull and not rewarding at all.
#9 Meals should be produced at quantities (5 or 10) or maybe the oven could stay inside the fridge and not get a penalty for being in a cold place. It takes too long to get the food from the fridge to the oven and then back to the fridge, honestly it doesn't make the game feel challenging, it just makes it annoying, specially because the cook won't stop cooking even if you have 50 meals, whenever someone eats a meal he goes back to make more even though you have a decent stock.
#10 It would be nice to go to other tiles to gather resources and hunt only.
#11 More than one person should be allowed to fill the cargo pod, I mean, it doesn't make sense that just one man can haul stuff inside it.
#12 Colonists wont harvest the trees in growing areas and sometimes if I dont do it manually the tree dies and I don't get anything. Also the growing times seem a bit off, Devilstrand should take 10 days to grow but it takes wayy longer than that.
#13 More defensive building would be nice, bunkers, barbed wire, fences, towers etc.
#14 More guns with pros and cons that are clearer. It doesn't matter what gun I use, they always feels the same and unreliable.
#15 Changing difficulty inside the game would be nice too.
#16 The High tech research bench is not showing in the new technology tree.
#17 You should be able to reinstall the deep drill if you don't know what metals are underneath it.
#18 The moisture pump is ridiculously slow, it takes ages to pump the water a small space. It should be faster.
#19 More furniture for decoration would be nice too.
#20 Hauling needs to be more effective, specially when mining. The worker finishes mining and doesn't bring back some of the materials when he heads home.
#21 Drugs still need some balance. I found to be better to leave my village drug free otherwise they will go on mentalbreaks and binges all the time like lunatics. it should be easier to use drugs for recreation.
#22 More Factions would also be nice.

Anyway I think its enough for now, I've played the unstable branch for more than 30 hours and this is what I feel so far. The is going great and has a lot of potential, keep up the great work!

carbon

If you replace the limbs of a pawn with bionic limbs (or other artificial parts presumably), the pawn's mass is significantly reduced as game calculates things as though the pawn is still missing body parts.

That's incredibly useful for drop pods that track capacity by mass, but not very realistic.

Artificial limb mass needs to be added in at some point.

Note: the "gear and inventory mass" only includes clothing and a fine meal, I double checked.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

ChJees

Now that i have played through a full game on A16 unstable i got some final feedback.

• Caravans have no way of treating hurt and\or dying colonists. I had one of my first wanderers die by a heart attack that way.
  • Dead colonists in caravans do not give their armor and weapons to the caravan inventory. Quite the oversight in my opinion unless you got a in world reason for that.
  • Caravan ambushes should pause the game and switch to that map when it happens. Kinda important event that need to be immediately taken care of.
  • Caravans only bringing with them little of a resource like Uranium was a good motivator for me to make my own caravan in order to get all i needed. Would be cool if faction villages had resources that only they can make in order to encourage player caravans.
  • Breakdown events happen way too often mid to end game. Constant drain on components which is just annoying.
  • The weapon i ended up using the most was the Assault Rifle. Sniper Rifle second. Charge rifle for being so advanced is useless in comparison to those. Could need a Assault Rifle equivalent in my opinion.
  • Power armor was nice to have but the wear it takes from being equipped is annoying. For being so hi-tech that is weird.
  • The space ship is an actual challenge resource wise now. Had to build TWO Component Assembly tables in order to get enough components in a sane time. My two crafters spent pretty much all day on them :P.
  • Elephants and rhinos as pets are the best meatshields you can get!
  • I felt i never had enough hay to keep my animals fed. 2000 hay was gone in an instant with even 5 herbivores.
  • I ended up never using the Makeshift Turrets in the end. They are too weak for anything but distraction in the beginning. My main force was a wall of lead and mortars to deal with problems.
  • I also never ended up using IEDs. Feel like the component cost should go away and instead use 2 artillery shells.
  • Was kinda annoying have to rebuild Deep Miners all the time. Is it too much to ask for them to be minifiable?
  • My researchers ended up becoming crafters at end game leaving that skill useless. Please, give it some use once there is nothing left to research.

mumblemumble

Want to say, launchers should still be flammable. Incendiary launchers or inferno cannons can burn, even though THEY withstand heat...this isn't because they are impervious to heat, but they are engineered to take the heat of FIRING, and not a huge fire. not to mention the storage tank of fuel should be super dangerous around fire.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

zandadoum

1) i sent out a caravan without knowing anything and he quickly went out of food. when he was half down his rations i wanted to bring him back, but i did not find any way to "return to colony"
2) so i did set up camp in middle of nowhere. i thought that i cuold again make a caravan to send him back after he gathered some food, but it only gave me option to go N/S/E/W/etc but not to return to main colony

by the time i droppoded enough stuff so he could droppod himself back home, he had already got raided and died from infections :(

Neotic

Quote from: zandadoum on December 20, 2016, 02:31:42 AM
1) i sent out a caravan without knowing anything and he quickly went out of food. when he was half down his rations i wanted to bring him back, but i did not find any way to "return to colony"
2) so i did set up camp in middle of nowhere. i thought that i cuold again make a caravan to send him back after he gathered some food, but it only gave me option to go N/S/E/W/etc but not to return to main colony

by the time i droppoded enough stuff so he could droppod himself back home, he had already got raided and died from infections :(
You just have to click on the colony to go back
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Yoso

I am burning through livers. I like consequences for regular substance use but having multiple colonists get cancer and cirrhosis a few days after buying a shipment of alcohol is a little odd.

Blastoderm

For me the cost of components and troubles to get them is just insane. Not challenging-insane but boring and fun-killing insane. Time to make ONE and resources required makes me stuffing several people to constantly make them and buy all steel I can.
After some time I said "fuck it!" and installed cheap components mod. That at least partly removed all this tedious stuff related to them.

Brownpeg4

Hi. I have one problem with using the muffalo as a pack animal, its the only animal that can do this. I personal think other large animals like cows and elephants should be able to carry things in caravans.   

Alenerel

Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 19, 2016, 07:25:20 PM
Quote from: Alenerel on December 19, 2016, 01:39:54 PM
The problem with map % generation is that you are pretty much forced to set around the middle. If you place your base around the edges everything will be far from you.
I suspect eventually Tynan will put in a way to reveal/explore more of the world as you travel, solving this problem.

That would absolutely defeat the whole purpose of choosing the % of map generation which is performance, not exploration.