Alpha 16 unstable branch feedback

Started by Tynan, December 12, 2016, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Okay, thanks for all the feedback everyone, it is invaluable. Alpha 16 is public now.

Obviously I can't cover everything that gets brought up. I did want this build out before Christmas, so there's that. Much of it will be addressed in future builds as well.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

MikeLemmer

Quote from: Alenerel on December 20, 2016, 04:32:02 AM
Quote from: MikeLemmer on December 19, 2016, 07:25:20 PM
Quote from: Alenerel on December 19, 2016, 01:39:54 PM
The problem with map % generation is that you are pretty much forced to set around the middle. If you place your base around the edges everything will be far from you.
I suspect eventually Tynan will put in a way to reveal/explore more of the world as you travel, solving this problem.

That would absolutely defeat the whole purpose of choosing the % of map generation which is performance, not exploration.

It wouldn't. It would generate a small starting area (30%) and slowly expand it if you start exploring, so you aren't confined to just that 30% of the world.

KevinHann

I'm curious what is stopping the player from building a few pods and firing the colonists to the hidden ship location to escape the world, sparing the lengthly caravan trip? I presume there is a mechanic to stop you from that shortcut?

Wanderer_joins

The range of the pod is limited, and the hidden ship at the opposite side of the world. Alternatively, sustaining a series of outposts to "jump pod" to the hidden ship is costly, dangerous, and imo much more tedious than building a ship or forming a single caravan.

KevinHann

I see, thanks for the clarification, that makes sense.

I also assume pirates will continue to arrive via drop pods even if all their bases within the same range have been wiped despite the controversy?

TOWC

Yep. They will arrive even if you're hidden in the ring of impassable mountains. Same goes for caravans, I guess.

Alenerel

Not exactly a bug but in the planet screen, the random button can choose sea ice. Not very important but... I think that there also should be some kind of warning in that biome. Since it has the same stats as other (rock type).

BTW generating a very cold planet can generate very cold biomes where it seems that raiders could die of hypothermia in their own bases (ice sheet). Havent tested tho, can someone give an insight in this topic?

Zhentar

I have tested it. They do generate with sufficient clothing to survive. (There was a bug with it when I tried it though, it was hilarious watching them all succumb hypothermia before they could reach the map edge)

ironinferno

A couple of things in a16 makes me cringe a little.

Room info and beauty statistic combination is annoying to the eye. Next thing is that the disease and medical procedures statistics of shown directly on the information tab. It takes away the suspense of your success or failure of different operations. I mean the immune of different disease and not the actual procedures of the medical operations.

philosophion

IDk if this is the right place to post this, but my addicts will not adhere to their drug schedules while on a caravan, even if the caravan has the right drugs (I noticed this when my luciferium raiders bogged the caravan down for days).  The only workaround I could come up with was to allow a second colony, settle, take drugs, then continue.

Thanks for the great game

Spinkick

Quote from: jeffreybar on December 13, 2016, 05:01:15 PM
Quote from: Ashery on December 13, 2016, 04:39:59 AM
Not really a fan of the combined beauty and room stat indicator. The display feels incredibly cluttered regardless of what information I'm looking at and I lose pretty much the entire SW section of the beauty display due to the room stats being displayed on top of it.

I second this feedback.  In pre-Alpha16 playthroughs, I kept the Room Stats display on almost all the time since it's not obtrusive and it's a good way to keep an eye on cleanliness and such, but the Beauty display is very obtrusive by contrast.  I find myself having to keep this combined option turned off all the time unless I really need to check on a room now since it's hard to see what's going on with all the beauty numbers on the ground.  I would much rather these two options be separate again.

Agreed, if you can please seperate these two again. The beauty stat tool i never use, the room stat one I use all the time. Is there another way to display a room name and its basic stats like the old one?

AustinRBowers99

I have played rimworld for 3 alpha versions and have not had a problem, but now with a16, the ui scale has broken the game for me. It no longer fits my laptop screen and automatically scales like it used to. The ui is too big and half the buttons don't fit on the screen and their is no option to fix it. The buttons need to be smaller and there is no scale below 1x which is still too big by a long shot. Hoping a patch can be released of some sort to fix this. I have seen others who have the same problem. Maybe a more in depth ui option scaling system, more customization to fit the player?