City-building strategy game in development - Ostriv

Started by yevheniy, December 15, 2016, 03:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kubouch

This game looks awesome. I'll surely check it out :-).

OmG_PotatoeZ

Quote from: yevheniy on December 15, 2016, 06:17:09 AM
Quote from: Spdskatr on December 15, 2016, 05:40:53 AM
Looks very nice? I have 2 questions.

1. DISASTERS. Are there going to be special events which affect certain aspects of your city eg. Crop failure, fires, plague etc. That would make the game less of watching an ant farm and more engaging, although giving every person their own unique perks kind of solves that problem(What am I saying? I'm not one to give advice.)

2.GOVERNMENT. Is there a higher power over your city, sometimes ordering you to build X and X and otherwise issue a fine, or giving you unique contracts to complete and gaining money or influence? It would really depend on the type of game Ostriv wants to be. More people-based: No, More construction-based: Yes. (there I go again.)

Nice game overall.
Thanks for your comment!

1. DISASTERS. My take on this kind of events is to avoid those which just create random problems that you can not prevent and just have to deal with consequences. The good old CeasarIII system worked very well in this case: you have your building under fire if you fail to protect against it. Same with crime and health problems.
For me it is always just boring when some random tornado or earthquake just destroys your buildings and makes you do just the same work again. Well, it could be interesting if you could build some temporary tents for citizens left without homes, manage some policies to aid the injured. Otherwise it's just difficulty without fun.
I think it's the best when the player can predict some disaster and take a challenge to prevent it by thoughtful city management. For this I want to put an emphasis on interaction with citizens, making them actually talk to you about the problems they encounter and thus giving you advice on what you should put more attention.

2.GOVERNMENT. Yes, there will be the central government from which you get all the tasks, including the construction of the city itself. But this is about the campaign mode. In sandbox mode it'll be optional.
Actually I think of getting the game to early access with sandbox mode only to balance the whole game and add some requested features and then make a final release with campaign included.

I think disasters like that would be pretty cool, giving you the option of being a cruel leader or a kind leader. Of course, you could always make it optional