[1.5] HugsLib (11.0.3) Lightweight modding library

Started by UnlimitedHugs, December 15, 2016, 02:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuba156

Confirmed FileNotFoundException when uploading or opening the log on OS X. Currently my dev Windows and OSX install are on the same machine and VS17 for Mac isn't playing nice with dotNet 3.5. I'll have to remote into my other pc, install Visual Studio, build the source and copy to my fruity hardware to test  :'( I'll make a pull request when I fix it.

Edit: Pull request created and tested :)

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 3.1.2

The log uploader should now properly find the log file when running on OSX.
Also, this includes the French translation kindly contributed by Kaptain Kavern.

@scuba156
That was quick- thank you for looking into this :)
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

scuba156

Lucky I did it quick as my macbook hard drive died on me so its out of action until I can afford a new one :/

Ser Kitteh

Uh yeah, I've an issue?

I usually download all the mods from the forums. So I'm downloading HugsLibs but both the Master version and the 3.1.2 version are marked reddish in the mod list. Am I doing something wrong here? Can't use Psychology and Hospitality without it.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on July 07, 2017, 09:55:57 PM
So I'm downloading HugsLibs but both the Master version and the 3.1.2 version are marked reddish in the mod list. Am I doing something wrong here? Can't use Psychology and Hospitality without it.

Only reason I can think of is you're running A16- you can check your version in the upper left corner of the screen when you start the game. If so, there is a link to the latest version for A16 in the main post.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

scuba156

I've still been working on the dependency checker, slowly but surely. If you're still interested in it replacing HugsLibChecker, I would appreciate feedback on the UI as I'm having a little bit of trouble with it.

I've only got that UI issue and a few things to sort out with determining issues and it should be done. I've tried to keep the dll as small as possible, it's currently 28kb with translation files embedded and hugslib version file support, I could get it slightly smaller with a code cleanup.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: scuba156 on July 13, 2017, 03:57:28 PM
I've still been working on the dependency checker, slowly but surely. If you're still interested in it replacing HugsLibChecker, I would appreciate feedback on the UI as I'm having a little bit of trouble with it.

Looks like you really went all out- even a config editor and everything :)
I'll probably use it for my own mods, but the required configuration is always a bit of a barrier for potential adopters.
Replied with some ideas in the thread.

scuba156

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on July 14, 2017, 12:32:55 PM
Looks like you really went all out- even a config editor and everything :)
I'll probably use it for my own mods, but the required configuration is always a bit of a barrier for potential adopters.
Replied with some ideas in the thread.
Thanks for replying with ideas, it helps a lot to bounce ideas.

The configuration is the biggest hurdle. I've tried to make it as easy as I can to set up. The windows app will have a button to add HugsLib and other common dependencies to a config file in one click. A basic config file can be shared as well.

I have thought about going through the loaded assemblies, see what libraries they reference and seeing if they are loaded without the need for a config file but I think that would be a bit slow and add too much time to RimWorlds start up time, especially for older machines.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: scuba156 on July 15, 2017, 06:18:33 AM
I have thought about going through the loaded assemblies, see what libraries they reference and seeing if they are loaded without the need for a config file but I think that would be a bit slow and add too much time to RimWorlds start up time, especially for older machines.

Could work, though if it were up to me, I would include the config tool right in the game. If started without a config file, it could give the user a popup, where they can select their dependencies among the available mods. The choices are then written to the file and read on following runs.
It's extra GUI work, but having to only drop a single dll file into your project is a solid selling point.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: scuba156 on July 15, 2017, 06:45:47 AM
Quote from: AngleWyrm on July 15, 2017, 03:22:58 AM
What if I (the user) can't or won't change the status of a given issue? Will this become an extra pop-up box that I'll have to close every time I start the game?

Yes, but the only issues it detects are missing or incorrect dependencies. If the issue isn't fixed then the mod in question won't work correctly, or most likely won't work at all.

A good place to put this problem finder could be as a diagnosis/help button on the error-log window.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

faltonico

Hi there!
Can you please add a "Force reload" feature?
For when you modify a mod with a game running and don't want to restart the whole game. Or is that already possible to do?
Thank you in advance!

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: faltonico on July 26, 2017, 10:16:39 PM
Hi there!
Can you please add a "Force reload" feature?

Hey. I could make the game reload all defs and load any added mods- but mods can't really be unloaded once they're running, and reloading defs breaks at least half of the dll mods out there.
I could add this as a dev feature, but I'm wondering if it's more trouble than it's worth at this point. The mandatory restart is a good thing- it reduces complexity for mod developers and the number of bugs players have to deal with.

SpaceDorf

We could always use less mods ..

well you could ..

try
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

UnlimitedHugs

maculator

If anybody thought: "Verdammt, ich wünschte die paar Zeilen Sprache die HugsLib liefert wären in Deutsch!"
I made a German.xml for personal use but maybe someone else can make a use of it too.
https://github.com/maculator/Alles