Charge rifles and A16

Started by Rafe009, December 15, 2016, 02:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe009

I was wondering what everybodies perceptions of the charge rifle were now that they got a -1 point nerf which i guess technically a -3 nerf going from 39 damage to about 36. Accuracy didn't seem to get touched at all but recovery time is much greater but for all guns.

As it stood charge rifles were tremendously Imba in vanilla and so ubiquitous they made pretty much all other weapons largely pointless to wield though you could make exceptions for sniper rifle, grenades and sometimes the assault rifle.

When Tynan said he was going to do a pass on weapons i though it would be a bit more profound than simply going into the defs and moving a few numbers around.

How do Charge rifles feel now given the minimal nerf?

ZestyLemons

Personally, I never use charge rifles. I found the assault rifle's range to be better than the charge rifle's damage. Sniper rifles feel like a better weapon if you want high damage (and a much longer range than the charge rifle's tiny one).
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

keylocke

same with zesty.

assault rifles are much better for longer range of burst fire. while miniguns are much imba than charge rifles at close range and it even has a long range of cover fire though inaccurate. so a combination of assault and miniguns is better at outdoor engagements when done en masse, since it gives players more flexibility in positioning for range.

however, inside a killbox where range of engagement tend to be static factor, charge rifles are awesome. especially if you design the killbox to take advantage of charge rifle's optimal range.

tonsrd

I heard once that charge rifles do more dmg to mechaniods is that true ?

Grishnerf

i also always used assault rifles for the nice range, but in a16 charge rifles feel somehow better now.
(general: combat feels abit different with all the weapons.)

Assault rifles reload time is more than double now for 3 not so accurate bullets.
The spray pattern is so wide that only 1 bullet hits. and 2 bullets fly left and right.

Charge rifle's 3 shots are much more on the target/on point and do down/kill much faster, but less range ofcourse.
..but on average 2-3 hits from a chargerifle in the first "volley" of 3 shots and a raider is down.
assault rifle takes around 2 volleys to kill at least, if you are lucky.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

keylocke

dunno. more shots fired + more shots hit is usually the bane of centipedes. which is why frag grenades are great at killing them coz it hit multiple parts at the same time, destroying the non-essential parts, making it easier for snipers to hit essential parts.

as for scythers. sniper rifles are great since they got less parts to hit. so if sniper is lucky, they can often one-shot a scyther.

i primarily use assault rifles and miniguns for cover fire. but the main killers are the snipers. while my shielded brawlers act as bait and crowd control, while my beastmaster outflanks the enemies with an animal army.

i often encounter raiders with charge rifles, but i can usually gank them before they even reach firing range, and even when they do get in range, they tend to end up distracted by my shield baits.

so the longer range gives me more flexibility, and keep my pawns safe from retaliation.

but inside a killbox. charge rifles are great. hands down.

Blastoderm

Assault rifles provide more bullets and more chances to hit=>more chances attackers would be wounded and slowed, whic is more important for me

Catastrophy

I've never used charge rifles. Assault rifles for my marksmen, a stock of 2 sniper rifles and the amateur shooters go with SMGs. I usually have one LMG user and 1 incendiary launcher in stock for "special purpose".

Lightzy

if were rating guns then i always figured the basic hunting rifle is the best, outranging all other weapons except the sniper rifle and thats the key here cuz everyone moves the same speed so you kite them to death with a high damage long range weapon, easy.

The only time I got charge rifles were endgames where I was like "fine fuck it, they're running into a minefield with 12 turrets at the end and dropping dozens of free superior charge rifles so I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.

But when the scythers and shit come? hunting rifles every time

Hieronymous Alloy

Is there a table somewhere with exact DPS figures for the changed weapons?

Hopefully the calculator at https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/59ewc2/accuracy_calculator_graphs_accuracy_and_dps_for/ will be updated for the new values.
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

mrofa

Dunno sniper and assault rifles feels all and all. Especialy assault rifles with thier preety good range, accuracy and shot speed makes them more like all rounders.
Charged rifles meh... only good thing is damage but the range sux to much to effectivly use them agains mechanoids.
Dats why TY we need lazors!
All i do is clutter all around.

JimmyAgnt007

As someone whos fired pistols, shotguns, and the 'Survival Rifle' (previously known as the Lienfield) I must say that firearms in general have always been massively under powered.  The time to aim, fire, fire again, and so on is far too long. 

The reason for this is because, if they wernt, it would be fast paced murder frenzy.  Unlike real life, it needs to be balanced.  Sniper rifles actually are the most realistic.  Id argue that aim time decrease if the target is closer.

Charge rifles, while fictional, need to balance out with the other weapons.  Not sure if they work better on the mechs or not but that would be neat.  My opinion on the changes?  They all need to shoot and aim faster, but thats me.  Maybe I can tweak the aim times once the final release version is out.