[MODPACK] The BIG Bang any day now

Started by jamieg, April 03, 2014, 11:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NephilimNexus

Good to see the lights fixed so quickly.   :D

Now my next question, not a bug, is about the event where an asteroid crashes and opens a stream vent on the planet: How do I turn this off?  It was really cool at first, as more geothermal is always welcome, but then they started hitting inside my base and filling the interior with steam vents, too.  This was not a good thing.

Architect

Quote from: NephilimNexus on April 15, 2014, 05:56:12 PM
Good to see the lights fixed so quickly.   :D

Now my next question, not a bug, is about the event where an asteroid crashes and opens a stream vent on the planet: How do I turn this off?  It was really cool at first, as more geothermal is always welcome, but then they started hitting inside my base and filling the interior with steam vents, too.  This was not a good thing.

May I ask what storyteller you use? I have had a few reports of huge numbers of this and other events taking place constantly, yet I have yet to find the issue myself. As of yet I have only done long game testing of up to 80 days natural game play with Cassandra classic, and the event only took place the once. I am wondering if it has something to do with how the story tellers perceive the colony's progression, in which case I do need to do some urgent balancing.

But yeah, any information you can provide me with including how many times this has happened, how long your save is, what story teller, and anything else you may think is relevant would be much appreciated. Believe me when I say any issue you have with my mod is an issue I have with it too, and I like to deal with issues quickly and neatly :P
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

NephilimNexus

I use Chill Callie, so I at least have time to put a single turret up before fifty raiders jump me.   ;D

Architect

Quote from: NephilimNexus on April 15, 2014, 06:09:41 PM
I use Chill Callie, so I at least have time to put a single turret up before fifty raiders jump me.   ;D

And how many times in a single game does the asteroid incident occur? And roughly how many days is that game?

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

NephilimNexus

One hits about once a week, roughly.  About one in ten lands inside my base, but that's on a small map.  On a max size map I've yet to have one land inside my base, but that I suspect is just the laws of probability being slanted in my favor by the map's size.

Wouldn't be an issue except that you can't pave over steam vents.  If you could I would just do that and ignore the occasional internal strike as a "cost of living" expense and not worry about it.

Another issue, possibly a bug but not sure, with BetterPower+ (I assume): I've done the entire research tree entirely and only the only new generator that came up was the basic wind turbine... which I cannot get to work no matter where or what facing I place it.  I remember the original BetterPower had large wind turbines as well as at least two other generator types, yet none of these appear now.  Should I switch back to the original BetterPower mod?

jamieg

no dont switch back, you would have to switch your rimworld version back too? Im sure Architect will have a look at it, he has just been busy with his work recently ;) ill take a look and make sure its not the pack too :)
YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg

Architect

BetterPower for alpha 2 was made up of a hack job from the geothermal generator, so i redid it all from scratch in proper code for alpha 3. You should have found the lightning rod, coal plant, nuclear control, and wind turbines from your research? If not that is an issue with the modpack, as it works fine as of the standalone mod.

As for getting the turbines to work, they need a space two in front of them, and two behind them to work, as wind needs to blow through them :P However, they also cannot have roofs over them either, an there is a bug where any buildable thing including power conduits count as filling up space in front and behind. Items, pawns, and debris do not. I'll certainly see what I can do about how often the events take place for you, and try to get a better balance working.

Jaxxa

Can I suggest an Air Deference building to counter the asteroids event.

It would have to be researched and take a moderate amount of power, but when it is active and asteroids that come down, instead of creating steam vents would be shot down by a laser and explode overhead, maybe setting things on fire and raining down some metal / platinum.

This lets you choose if you want more vents to run the risk of impacts in your base or pay a power tax to get an amount of metal instead.

Explain that only asteroids are shot down because everything else (drop pods / unknown objects) is too fast / small.

Architect

Quote from: jaxxa on April 15, 2014, 07:30:51 PM
Can I suggest an Air Deference building to counter the asteroids event.

It would have to be researched and take a moderate amount of power, but when it is active and asteroids that come down, instead of creating steam vents would be shot down by a laser and explode overhead, maybe setting things on fire and raining down some metal / platinum.

This lets you choose if you want more vents to run the risk of impacts in your base or pay a power tax to get an amount of metal instead.

Explain that only asteroids are shot down because everything else (drop pods / unknown objects) is too fast / small.

Not a bad idea at all actually :D However can I ask that further BetterPower+ specific stuff gets raised on my post or messaged to me? I don't really want to clutter Jamieg's post, there are plenty of other awesome mods in this modpack too :P

jamieg

YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg

Sheenariel

Quote from: Architect on April 15, 2014, 03:53:32 PM
It only explodes after a certain period of time, you can deconstruct it or destroy it first to avoid the plasma storm, but its part of an ongoing plan of mine that didnt quite get done in time.

No way to deconstruct it... at least on my end. I tried it with all commands and nothing is marked.
Due to all the silent updates and redownloading it at sendowl, my download-counter for Rimworld gets kinda low by now, not replenishing, so I stopped with v410 for now while using the actual BB-compilation

The world was started new for v410 and ... now I know why there were so many lightnings

Architect

Quote from: Sheenariel on April 16, 2014, 02:44:03 AM
Quote from: Architect on April 15, 2014, 03:53:32 PM
It only explodes after a certain period of time, you can deconstruct it or destroy it first to avoid the plasma storm, but its part of an ongoing plan of mine that didnt quite get done in time.

No way to deconstruct it... at least on my end. I tried it with all commands and nothing is marked.
Due to all the silent updates and redownloading it at sendowl, my download-counter for Rimworld gets kinda low by now, not replenishing, so I stopped with v410 for now while using the actual BB-compilation

The world was started new for v410 and ... now I know why there were so many lightnings

Just redownload the BetterPower+ mod, and replace it with the one currently in your mods folder. That will fix up the undeconstructable lightning storm from hell device :P

NephilimNexus

One thing that perplexes me is the laser drill.  Does it actually do anything besides suck up a lot of power?  I was under the impression that it would (eventually?) open up a new steam vent at the location of my own choosing, thus allowing more geothermal plants afterward... but so far it's been humming along for several days now and hasn't done actually anything.

Architect

Quote from: NephilimNexus on April 16, 2014, 09:00:13 AM
One thing that perplexes me is the laser drill.  Does it actually do anything besides suck up a lot of power?  I was under the impression that it would (eventually?) open up a new steam vent at the location of my own choosing, thus allowing more geothermal plants afterward... but so far it's been humming along for several days now and hasn't done actually anything.

It takes 200 in game Rareticks before it does anything, but trust me it does work :P If there is no power during the TickRare that it functions, that Raretick doesnt count. FYI, there is 250 ticks in a Rare tick.

Dr. Z

What does TMPT mean? Can you tell when the modpack will be optimized for Alpha 3f?
Prasie the Squirrel!