How can I download the new version without steam?

Started by Thias, December 13, 2016, 05:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thias

Hi there!
I just read that the new a16 is out for testing. I can't wait!
But it seems I can't find no download link. I bought the DRM free version. An I am a notorious no-steamer.
How can I get the new alpha?

Healp!

cheers!
Matthias

Calahan

As far as I know you can only access the A16 unstable branch via Steam (for what it's worth, I'm in the same boat as you. re:Steam re:Waiting patiently for official release).

I can't find a comment by Tynan on this right now, but IIRC, it takes a lot more time and effort (than one might think) to distribute the unstable versions via Sendowl. Especially compared to how easy it is to do via Steam. And when you add to this the high, or even guaranteed likelihood of there being several updates to the unstable version before it's officially released, then releasing each unstable version via Sendowl quickly turns into a mini-time sink (and I'm pretty sure Tynan would rather spend his time working on the game. Which is also to every player's benefit in the long run).

Thias

Ok. Then I will have to wait. But still: How will I get the final A16? Will I get an email with the download-link?
Or how is that supposed to work?

Calahan

When A16 is officially released you should receive an email about it. The email will provide the download link, or you can just use the same Sendowl link that was mailed to you before. Your Sendowl link doesn't change AFAIK.

Thias

Ok. thanks. Good to know the link does not change.
But then this means one will never be able to download a previous version?
I'll have to back up the whole game instead of just the save files.

Calahan

Yes, (unfortunately IMO) there is no option to download previous versions of the game. So as you've surmised, if you want to retain access to previous versions you need to back up more than just the save games. Although you only need to keep the installer (for whatever version) rather than the game folder, and then just re-install whatever previous version you want to as required. Although nothing wrong with archiving the folder either (as the size difference isn't hard-drive busting).

As such some people have built up quite the archive of installers for previous versions (think my own collection only goes back to A10. Which is puny compared to some other peoples).

milon

Quote from: Calahan on December 13, 2016, 07:23:13 AM
Your Sendowl link doesn't change AFAIK.

Just popping in to confirm this is true. I even bookmarked mine. :)