[A16] Not master of X Negative Moodlet for nonassignable animal

Started by Jorlem, January 20, 2017, 04:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorlem

My colony (crashland, standard three colonists, one animal) spawned with a pet warg.  One of the colonists started off with a bond with the pet, as normal.  However, the colonist's Handle skill was far too low to set him as the warg's master (and no passion for handling to make it reasonable to train him up), so he is stuck with the negative moodlet for not being his bonded animal's master, even though he can't be the master. 

nccvoyager

Not strictly a bug, just unfortunate circumstances.
But, at the same time, something like this being completely out of your control is annoying.

Well, for the time being, if you do get a pawn that is good at handling, have the pawn good at handling train the warg, and then the warg can be assigned to follow any pawn, including the bonded pawn.

As a future fix, perhaps a small check to see if there is a colony pawn capable of training a bonded animal to follow, and if not, there is no debuff for it?
(This would remove the negative debuff when there is no possibility of fixing the cause of the debuff in question.)

Or, possibly change the behaviour so that bonded animals automatically follow the bonded pawn, but can only be set to follow other pawns once trained?
Perhaps, if one wishes to be cruel, even force you to train the animal before it will stop following the master, leading to a greater likelihood of the animal being killed in combat? (Think "lost puppy" in this case.)
(This would remove the debuff when the animal cannot be trained, while maintaining a level of benefit to actually training the skill to the animal.)

Jorlem

Quote from: nccvoyager on January 20, 2017, 11:32:47 PM
Well, for the time being, if you do get a pawn that is good at handling, have the pawn good at handling train the warg, and then the warg can be assigned to follow any pawn, including the bonded pawn.
Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Even if it is fully trained, a colonist needs a Handle skill of six to be made the master of a warg.

nccvoyager

Oh, it does?
Weird...
I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to the system recently.
I don't remember that restriction being there before...
Or maybe I just never managed to start a game with a Warg?

In any case, my first possible solution might be better then, seeing as to the inability of even a trained warg following the bonded pawn.

ison

There shouldn't be any debuff in this case. Fixed, thanks.