[A16] Biomes! Mod Series - In Need of a Programmer

Started by Draegon, December 17, 2016, 01:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draegon

I have made a new Thread for the mod https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33530.0

So I started a team a while back to make some biome mods starting with the Cave biome. We recently got a new programmer so progress is being made. I figured that I could showcase what we have done and detail what we have planned for and after the cave biome so far and hopefully get more thoughts on what we have done so far.
There should be an attached picture showing some of what we have done biome wise and I shall link to some textures.
http://imgur.com/gallery/bN6TD
The purpose of this mod is to add more variety in Rimworld and to add new and interesting biomes.
What we have done so far:
We have the biome generating in the world
The biome generates relatively well (not quite how I'd like it but getting there)
We have rivers generating in the biome
We managed to add a mushroom humanoid race to the game (only spawn via dev mode currently)
Mushroom "trees" spawn in the world
We have textured most of the animals and some objects for the biome
We have a new terrain type added
Below is a link to the current progress:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5pzag6r8nsnpe6g/CaveBiome.zip

What we have planned:
Adding a second race to our roster - troglodyte humans (blind humans that have adapted to the caves)
Finish the generation of the biome (add ravines that let in light, edit the river a bit, have caves fill the biome less, add in ant "hives")
Adding new ruins types (less random empty rooms)
Adding new ore such as fossils, obsidian, and crystal.
Adding in the animals and plants to the biome (Giant snails, giant ants, tiny blind shrimp, Crystal crab, Cave Salamander, Slime Creature, etc)
Adding new plants and fungi (general mushrooms, glowing plants and fungi, giant roots, etc)
Adding the new crops that will grow in darkness to low light (Button Mushrooms, Cave beets, Rock beans, etc)
Remove normal animals from the biome
Adding new events and weather (Earthquakes, bat swarms, fungus spore disease, drilling pirates, etc)
We have more planned for the biome than that but I don't want to give everything away ;)

Other Biomes we have planned:
Tropical island - Island that might spawn with a volcano, tropical plants, fishing, etc.
Sea Floor - Underwater biome, Airlocks, Sea life, Kelp forests, etc.
Riverlands/River Delta - Large River cuts through the map, islands inside the delta may be good for a fortress, fishing, etc.
Mountain Valley - Cold and rocky biome, plenty of stone and minerals but poor soil generally, very windy, etc.
Swamplands/Marsh - Very wet biome, tends to rain, mosquitos can = disease, generally poor soil, marsh terrain makes for hard building, etc.
Volcanic lands - Hot biome with rich ashy soil, Sun can get blocked by ash, lava flows and pools, obsidian, lava rock, sparse plants & animals, etc.

We are always willing to take on new artists and programmers if they are willing to assist as this is going to be a rather large project. Merely message me or post on this thread if you would like to offer assistance.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Draegon

Feel free to post any suggestions or feedback :D

Draegon

And don't forget that we NEED a new programmer that can do the biomes! the ones we have can only do minor stuff like add animals and items.

Inequalitix

Bump. This sounds pretty cool.

Draegon

Added a link to the file of what we have done.

Hydromancerx

Savanna
Have African animals like Giraffes, Lions, Elephants, Rhinos, Zebra, etc.

Bamboo Forest
Lots and lots of bamboo. .... And pandas!

Redwood Temperate Rainforest
Tall Redwoods and lots of fog.

Mangrove Forest
Shallow water everywhere with mangroves growing all around.

Salt Flats
Nothing but barren salt flats. Nothing can grow here. No mountains either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9U0df6KJiA
Exploding Forest
Home to only Boomrats and Boomalope. Even the trees explode!!

Draegon

Some of those suggestions we have thought of, but great suggestions :D

Fluffe

Man this could possibly turn into a biomes o plenty rimworld edition lol

Draegon

Not a bad thing really :D Although our biomes will have new animals too. If we ever get a new programmer that is XD

Tgr

this is extremely dorfy, please keep it up!

Draegon

We certainly intend to! :D

Draegon

We have gotten it working for A16, progress is being made :D

Lem Wright

Dude, this is fucking dank. I'll give it a shot and see if any bugs/issues crop up.

Or... not? It says the version is 15, yet the thread says A16.
According to Erdelf in the Discord, the version up there isn't the latest one.

Also, it apparently requires the Alien Races Framework, yet that isn't mentioned at all.

Draegon

My apologies, I shall update it momentarily. :D

Draegon

Also it does not appear to need it, I can spawn the mushroom humanoid race just fine. *Shrugs*