Ways to heal "permanent" injuries.

Started by SangoProductions, December 19, 2016, 06:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombra

Quote from: Drathmourn on December 24, 2016, 12:57:08 AM
I cannot imagine that Tynan can have the imagination to create a game and world of exploration and creation and then leave something as basically petty as permanent injury to mar the characters future story.

Scars make a character's story more interesting, not less.

I think you'll find your "vast majority" of players who play with such a mod are humbly outweighed by an actual majority of players who think scars are fine.  Or do you expect people to post all the time about stuff they don't mod?

This is fine as a mod but would be pretty lame to remove in the vanilla game.

Drathmourn

Ok, your focusing on scars. scars are fine, i have many myself. the "scars" im talking about is a general term in the game as unhealing minor injuries that detract from the character overall. Bite scar, torn off finger, whatever. i had a few pawns that have so many scars that they actually have a significant pain modifier and manipulation decrease that i can do NOTHING about except kill them or lop of an arm or leg. This is not beneficial nor is it  a good story element. missing fingers and toes due to a mad squirrel or pissed of alpha beaver adds nothing. there have been 30 mad squirrels and 60 pissed beavers. Maimed pawns due to constant mundane crap is pointless in an advanced technological society that can perform technological miracles.

Zombra

Mmm, OK, you make a decent point.  Once you get that many scars it might be time to think about building a spaceship and getting back to a real hospital.

Drathmourn

Nope, cant do it. I haven't broken this land to my will yet and cant leave. And now in v.16 there is a whole planet to subjugate. I require repairs to continue the fight!

schizmo

I cannot imagine that Tynan can have the imagination to create a game and world of exploration and creation and then leave something as basically petty as permanent injury to mar the characters future story. It also seems that the majority of players would prefer the ability to remove or diminish persistent injuries. This is shown by the vast number of people using mods that give you the ability to correct injuries and disabilities. Last count there where 3 bionics mods and 4 or 5 mods to cure/fix other disabilities. Also the OP wanted a way to fix damaged colonists and was requesting a mod (hence the Forum location). You (Schizmo) basically told him he was wrong to do so and that he needed to take better care of his pawns and suffer due to the current limitations of the game, and use it as a learning experience. I don't see that as helpful, useful or even appropriate to criticize him for a mod request that runs counter to your personal play style. if you want to have a bunch of crippled mauled and helpless pawns that are begging for death to make you feel that you have a challenge then so be it. Some of us want to help and heal.

At no point in this entire thread has the word "mod" been used, this is the suggestion forum, for suggesting features to be added to the game. You're writing your own narrative that does not line up with what is actually happening here.

Whether or not anyone agrees is beside the point, any suggestion is up for debate or it would not be a suggestion forum, it would be a suggestion box. Plenty of people think this is a good idea, and plenty of people think that it's a bad idea. Discussions and debates are the type of feedback that allow developers to consider both pros AND cons of any potential addition or change.

And regarding the final bit of your post:

if you want to have a bunch of crippled mauled and helpless pawns that are begging for death to make you feel that you have a challenge then so be it.

I think you've missed the point. The challenge doesn't come from having crippled pawns, the challenge comes from the DANGER that your pawns can be crippled. My pawns are, by and large, healthy, because I keep them protected, and because I keep my eyes peeled for danger. There are entire systems built into the game to facilitate this, because healthy and happy pawns are more effective fighters, workers, researchers, and less prone to getting pissed off and going on a murderous rampage.

I don't know what else I can contribute to this discussion. In my opinion, permanent injuries are an incentive to not screw up, and there area already methods in the game to "remove" them. Bionics and painstopper, both of which must be acquired through trading which once again reinforces the idea that any advanced techniques you think should exist would come from a Glitterworld, making them expensive to acquire and severely limited. Even if they were added, they would likely not solve the problem for people who have a hard time keeping their pawns safe in the first place.

Also, it's not my intention to be rude, keep in mind that text is incapable of conveying tone or intention. I'm simply trying to point out why I think these are bad ideas, and why I think it's player error more than game design flaws. Other people are perfectly within their right to feel differently.

Drathmourn

My apologies, I spend most of my time in the mod section and must have missed the room i was in. In my game play-through's i try never to save-scum, unless its surgery because if i'm having a leg replaced I shoulden't have to worry you cut my heart or brain out by accident. All others i let the chips lay, and if there is a disaster that I can recover from that's great, but over time minor incidents have whittles my pawns down. I need three of  them to count to ten on their fingers. This wasnt by daring to stand and fight, or Bug attacks. This was from taming squirrels, a fox caught in the crossfire during a raid, frostbite from a pawn wandering across the map for a scrap of metal, and a list of stupid things gone wrong. There is no lesson, no avoiding this and no player error. The only fix is to lock them in their rooms when i dont need them. I dont mind a crippled pawn and im willing to pay whatever the cost of fixing him, that is what teaches me to be careful, the cost of fixing the problem. I can build a laser gun and power armor, a device that communicates and trades with people in space and an AI controlled spaceship. Access to technology is not an issue here, Nor is the cost when everything can be built by a competent pawn. The inability to craft the painstopper or a bionic arm is more of an oversight when compared to what you can build.  The desire to suffer endlessly to as penance for misfortune or a moment of carelessness is a mindset i wont understand and i dont think it can be rationally explained. Also to be clear, in your posts you imply that most hardships the pawns suffer is due to incompetence of the player or an inability of the player to protect the pawns that is the root cause if injuries. The condescending attitude and the "My pawns are better/safer than your pawns" comments is what i dont find helpful , useful or appropriate. I know your reply will be to ramble on about choices, opinions and blah blah blah but to be honest i dont really care. So have fun! :P

Rahjital

I feel that Rimworld is deliberately unfair in this way because it is as much a story simulator as it is a game. Great stories are rarely fair to their protagonists, and that's where the storytelling comes from - overcoming hardship and prospering in spite of it. A scar, or a shot-off finger, is a memento of this struggle, a link to tales of the past. There's a reason grizzled veterans covered in scars are so common in stories, because it tells they've been through hell and survived.

From a gameplay standpoint, I feel it's an interesting tradeoff - will you defend your property and risk the lives of your colonists, or will you play it safe and let your settlement get trashed? The fact that no matter how well you are doing, there is always a risk to combat is a good thing in my opinion, since it means there are no inconsequential fights. You have to learn to roll with the punches. Tynan has a fine line to walk between frustration and good storytelling setups, and I feel he's doing a great job; the game might not be perfect mechanically, but in terms of making stories Rimworld has no equal, except perhaps Dwarf Fortress itself.

I do agree that some things aren't that great from either the story or the gameplay perspective. "I was trying to tame a squirrel, and it bit my hand off" is a bit lame, and maddening when it happens. It also sucks that if you get a finger shot off, the only way to fix it is to cut the entire arm away and replace it with an expensive bionic. (Hey, Skywalker got a mechanical hand, why not Tails the shunned girl?). On the other hand, I feel that for Rimworld, some frustration is a necessary part of the experience, and without it the sense of the achievement and victory wouldn't be nearly the same.

But that is, of course, up to one's taste, and you would be perfectly in your right to disagree with me. I just think the current balance of necessary frustration vs fun is the right way to go, since it allows both sides oéf this argument to mod the game more to their tastes, if necessary.