Show us your colony [Mega Thread]

Started by Celthric Aysen, April 06, 2014, 11:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chchgreen

nice work lads, cool to see how other people like to set up their colonys. so heres mine im playing with at the moment, havent been playing long now, so im no pro. did a bit of dev mode to give my self a couple of extra steam geysers.

i just found out i could play with the terrain in dev mode, so prettied up the landscape.

http://imgur.com/a/owqDp

wayward vagabond

hey guys is there anyway to download and play someone else's map/colony?
adolf pimpler

Damien Hart

Sure, someone just needs to upload their save file and you can download it and copy it into your own save folder.

wayward vagabond

thanks buddy ;D, is there anywhere on the forms i can find the save links to maps and also how would i go about installing them?
adolf pimpler

Damien Hart

I do remember some save sharing threads in the past, but I haven't seen any for A13. Probably best to make a new one specifically for A13 saves.

You can find your saves from the options menu in the game; just click the "Open save data folder" button, and copy any save files into the "Saves" folder.

chchgreen

Listen1

Quote from: chchgreen on June 02, 2016, 02:53:47 AM
New Salvation
Colony is coming up to its 8th year
http://imgur.com/a/6e1LZ

Gotta say, your defense looks really good. Making the enemies have little to no cover and ripping them apart. I love it!

The-MathMog

This is my current one. It is 3 years in, and has 3 main entrances. It actually makes defending a lot easier, because attackers choose multiple places to attack when they do so, making it a lot easier. Even with mechanoids.

I am also trying to grow trees on most of the map, as it is quite barren after a few toxic fallouts and currently a volcanic winter.

chchgreen

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on June 02, 2016, 07:08:15 AM
Quote from: chchgreen on June 02, 2016, 02:53:47 AM
New Salvation
Colony is coming up to its 8th year
http://imgur.com/a/6e1LZ

Gotta say, your defense looks really good. Making the enemies have little to no cover and ripping them apart. I love it!

thanks man, yeah that marsh is a killing field! once they get onto it my dudes pop out and hit them from the back and sides

Elwo

I always thought that colonists behave just like bees, so about a year ago I came up with Hexagon pattern (just like in bee hives) for my colony, and since then it's my favoruite layout. I use it almost every time since it works excellent on both open area and inside the mountains. Also I tried to make my colony at least a little better looking, that's why I mined the caves kinda 'randomly' - it's also a heaven for the infestation durning the warm season. May I present to you - Hextown!

You might ask why I've put the marriage ceremony room inside the tomb - it may seen quite dumb but I like to think that EVERY colonist should attent the wedding in Hextown, dead or alive.

I know that the hydroponic area is highly inefficient, yet that's the only pattern I could come up with - it barely meets my food supply demands

My armory, an area I'm most proud of. I don't keep power armors on my guys because it slows down their manipulation ability.

And that's my killzone, works perfectly without sentry guns since I have over 18 colonists with charge rifles, I only get owned by manhunter packs - pawns are not able to kill 80 wargs fast enough. Though Rimworld God Randy has been kind to me - no sappers or mechs (only ships)

Tell me what you think!

PS Here is a Hex pattern for anyone interested

charkesd

chchgreen

i really liked those pentagons, so i did octagons

sharpjd

Here's a lil quick pic of my colony
I found surviving in deserts easier than forests.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Shurp

How do you deal with sappers with that layout?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.