Show us your colony [Mega Thread]

Started by Celthric Aysen, April 06, 2014, 11:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ender

Quote from: Monkfish on April 19, 2014, 11:00:57 AM
I use graves as a tally of how many have died. I mark colonist graves with a plant pot.

I do the same, except i only make graves for colonists, with a nice plant pot
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Headshotkill

Quote from: Ender on April 19, 2014, 12:25:36 PM
I use graves as a tally of how many have died. I mark colonist graves with a plant pot.

I do the same, except i only make graves for colonists, with a nice plant pot

It's weird how even though I know that colonist that just died is nothing but some rules and binary-code I still feel the need to give them a true funeral.

daft73

keylocke

hmm.. i always start a new colony whenever i feel like testing a new defense..

this one, i call "Maxwell's Demon".  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa_8ZFYrD6c&feature=youtu.be

9 colonists vs 50+ (heavily armed) raiders on vanilla rimworld, tough cleopatra.

i'll post more when i try something new. hehe.

cheers!

db48x

Same here, although it looks like bodies now decay away after a while. Most of my graves have been used twice.

Freya 'Tail' Fairwing

Here we see my town of NicoFrey. 83 days old and home to 10 people, with only one death.

I quite like open plan, outside towns, with alleys between the buildings. It helps me set up flanking opportunities and move very freely around in combat, and that's only if raiders can break through the front line of sandbags and darkened pillboxes (Anyone inside them is so hard to hit, I've had greatbowmen hold their own against snipers.)

After a major catastrophe though, in which about 30,000Wd of power exploded, obliterating the top right geothermal plant, I built two little battery boxes (the two battery buildings on the bottom and right.) Those aren't connected to the colony at all, safe for when there is a failure somewhere and I lose my main power reserve.

I'm quite proud of it. It's my most successful colony by far.

keylocke

Quote from: Torgaddon on April 18, 2014, 01:16:55 AM

i kinda like the t-shaped entrance to the killzone on this one. 

thanks for sharing. :)

Headshotkill

Here's how the colony started,  for the first time I am using shared rooms to sleep in because the mountain I'm digging in to is quiet small and I think for most colony's the bedrooms take up the most space so I had no choice but to keep it compact. First there wasn't a wall around the fields and two solar-panels, I had a small barricade of sandbags to hold of small raider bands.
The workshop above the bedroom, the prison and the kitchen were the first expansion of the base.

Here we see the latest version of my defenses, I hate using killboxes which feel a bit like cheating to me.
I'm using 3 mods:

Betterpower+
BetterpowerHard
Turretpack

First we have a line of heavy turrets (WHICH AREN'T OVERKILL, I get 40-60 raiders each time.) then we have some sniper turrets to shoot down those who flee. All of the sandbags are surrounded with charged wire, this is needed because when a tribe attacks they just storm towards the sandbags and use it as there cover which nearly killed one of my colonists. This way I'm still able to fight a tribe attack of 60 raiders.

Here we have a solar-field which provided most of the power early on and still is an important part of the base.
I also had 2 growing-fields here in the beginning before I had hydroponics.

The room with the large batteries in the middle was first a cremation room to burn the corpses, but people kept wandering in there for some reason getting negative thoughts about corpses so I had to move the cremation chamber down. To the right that geothermal generator was only possible through the use of a laserdrill from the betterpower+ mod which dug the geyser. You can also see the dining hall.

This is the latest expansion of the base, a nuclear reactor with 4 layers of rock wall around it cause I don't know how dangerous this thing is and I don't want to blow up my base. I put some red lights around it to make it look EVEN MORE DANGEROUS!

Here is the trading beacon, I get 99% of my silver by selling guns, I only buy uranium and metal.

And here is the whole colony, I'm quiet proud of it.
I like how it slowly expanded and in the end uses the whole mountain, I think I will keep using shared rooms as they aren't that bad and very compact.

Thank you for making this game and all the modders, I haven't had so much fun from a game in years.  :D
And thanks to Ortega, the colonist who makes the best food in the universe keeping my colonists happy! (You can see him in several pictures.) :P

Celthric Aysen

Here's my new colony i named it 404 Base not found.
Why you ask? just cuzz anyway here.

Its a new colony, just started today.
I used the following mods:
1.Industrial Rim
2.Project Armory
3.Animal Skins
4.Wood Economy
5.Clutter
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Headshotkill

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on April 22, 2014, 04:02:16 AM
http://i59.tinypic.com/xvqmv.png
1.Industrial Rim
2.Project Armory
3.Animal Skins
4.Wood Economy
5.Clutter

Do you use sunlight for your hydroponics or is it just so bright from the sun-lamps?

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Headshotkill on April 22, 2014, 09:58:57 AM
Quote from: Blackjack1000K on April 22, 2014, 04:02:16 AM
http://i59.tinypic.com/xvqmv.png
1.Industrial Rim
2.Project Armory
3.Animal Skins
4.Wood Economy
5.Clutter

Do you use sunlight for your hydroponics or is it just so bright from the sun-lamps?
Its just bright because of the sunlamps, yes i like to waste 2400W of power :P

daft73

Leave it to Vas to show up at my colony, to check for bugs, on an empty stomach. I doubt it will go well for me...my colony is going to get shut down. At least he enjoys the pleasantries of Dugg, Cheech, Bob, and the escaped convict Clarke.
Too bad I can not feed the poor chap.

Celthric Aysen

Sion

Quote from: daft73 on April 23, 2014, 01:33:56 PM

Your image sparked a thought in me and I created this:

This is a room where all the walls are made of doors  :P
I just wanted to try if the game would recognize it as a room, and it did  ;D
Now I just need to figure out a use for it, the only downside is that when the colonists want to go around it, they go around... but inside the "walls" thru ALL the doors.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

daft73

Quote from: Sion on April 24, 2014, 12:47:59 PM....
Your image sparked a thought in me and I created this:......
This is a room where all the walls are made of doors  :P
I just wanted to try if the game would recognize it as a room, and it did  ;D
Now I just need to figure out a use for it, the only downside is that when the colonists want to go around it, they go around... but inside the "walls" thru ALL the doors.

hehe, those 'doors' are actually Glass windows from a mod.