[A16 16.1393] Fires spreading more rapidly in A16 compared to A15.

Started by Jan2607, December 20, 2016, 05:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

I had just a small explosion in my power lines (my batteries stored approximately 5,000 Wd, when they exploded), that led to a grass fire (not a really big one at first) between my buildings.
I dispatched all my 5 colonists that were able to fight the fire, and they worked really hard to put the flames out. But the fire spreaded really, really fast, and within moments, all my storages and my important powered buildings were on fire. All my vital goods were destroyed by fire, so I consider my colony as lost.
My colonists didn't had a chance to save my colony.

I'm on day 19 and I didn't researched firefoam poppers yet. Even if I had researched them, I wouldn't be able to build enough of them to protect all vital zones of my colony.

So... Because of this massive, uncontrollable fire spreading, I consider this as a gamebreaking bug/imbalance.
Please hotfix this.

Can't attach any screenshot that would show the big fire due to forums restrictions.

Trblz42

Which story teller and severity did you select? Randy Random at extreme can be a b*tch to play.
Don't panic and carry a towel

Jan2607

Cassandra Classic on easy, so that shouldn't be the issue here.

Pushover

Not really a bug, by day 19 if are still using heavily wood structures on temperate forest, you will be in for a bad time, whether it be a flash storm, zzzt, or even just some raiders.

Even a few stone walls will slow the fire and you can make your colonists fight fires over a few important areas. Treat this as a lesson not to use wood for everything, just because you can.

Calahan

Thank you for the bug report. Although I'm not sure if there is a bug here, as a lot more information would be required to determine that. As there could be several valid, and WAD reasons, why a particular fire spread very rapidly. Not least due to having a lot of wooden walls, and the biome you are playing on (as Pushover mentions). Plus I'm sure anyone who has played RimWorld long enough can recount a story of a devastating fire that destroyed their colony. Also, how long into a game the player is has no affect on the fire spreading mechanics (AFAIK). Neither does the storyteller (again AFAIK).

You might be able to attach a screenshot by converting the format it is saved in. As a .png image file (for example) can usually be converted to a lower quality, but still easily detailed enough, .jpeg image file with a picture editor. Or you can use a 3rd party service to host the file and then post the download link. ie. Dropbox or GoogleDrive (cloud storage), and Mega or Zippyshare (file sharing). The same applies for if you want to post a save game.

If you really want to try and determine there is a bug with the fire spreading mechanics in A16 then you would need to create a reproducible setup that could be tested. So for example use dev mode to create the setup and start a fire on a certain tile, and then recreate the exact same setup in A15, and repeat the test enough times until there is some evidence of whether or not there is a (clear) difference between versions.

Of course if a lot of players start reporting that fires are now spreading much quicker in A16 than before, then that is something that will be noticed by Tynan, and it would add weight to the theory that there has been a (unintentional?) change, which would be investigated. But a single report about a player experiencing a really bad fire could just be that player having bad luck, and/or their base/setup being very susceptible to a devastating fire. There are just too many unknowns here to say this is not anything more than the latter case.

I've also edited the thread title as "GAMEBREAKING bug" certainly doesn't need to be cap-locked, nor has it been established in any way that there is a bug here, let alone a gamebreaking one.

Tynan

I don't think it's a bug, it's just how it's tuned.

I'll be watching play videos so if it's broken I'll see soon enough. But from what I've seen it looks fine.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog