A way to mark rooms as "No Thru Traffic"

Started by MeowRailroad, December 21, 2016, 09:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeowRailroad

In my latest colony, the freezer is adjacent to both the fields and the kitchen. It has a field door and a kitchen door. I did this so haulers could just walk in instead of going the other, longer way from the fields, which requires walking around a big warehouse and prison cells. However, everyone started using the freezer as a hallway so it was at about 60 degrees Fahrenheit when I looked. It would be helpful if I could mark the room as "No Thru Traffic" so that people couldn't pathfind through it, but they could pathfind into it if they had a task to do in there, such as dropping off crops, picking up crops to bring to the kitchen, dropping off hunted animals, dropping off meals, or repair work/cleaning in that room. Making it a zone that only my haulers and cook have access to is problematic for 2 reasons. The first is that basically everyone in my colony is either a cook or a hauler so it wouldn't really decrease the amount of traffic going through it. The second is that colonists with access can still use it as a hallway.

If this was added it would also be useful for bedrooms with 2 doors.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Sola

I've found myself making freezers and bedrooms have only a single access point for exactly this reason.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

JimmyAgnt007

I like this idea, maybe a toggle on the door.  Instead of forbid, you just forbid Thru traffic.  Would be nice if I have a freezer and hydroponics next to each other.

SilentP

You could set up areas to prevent pawns from trekking through the freezer.  Only allow your haulers to go in there.

Also, if you set up an airlock type set of doors for your freezer it will keep the temperature stable.

Serenity

Quote from: Sola on December 21, 2016, 10:11:23 AM
I've found myself making freezers and bedrooms have only a single access point for exactly this reason.
For bedrooms that's not an issue, but for freezers it's very inconvenient. It just makes sense to have one door to the growing area and one to the kitchen

NolanSyKinsley

In addition to this, the ability to mark "no wandering" rooms. Pawns should not be wandering about the kitchen and hospital dirtying it up, and they should stay out of each other's bedrooms for privacy reasons. Other than when they need to work in there of course.

schizmo

This is a neat idea but would it have any practical uses aside from the freezer?

NolanSyKinsley

Quote from: schizmo on December 22, 2016, 08:49:40 AM
This is a neat idea but would it have any practical uses aside from the freezer?

All over the place pretty much. Any building with more than one entrance could use it to keep the random dirt clutter outside, and keep the temps inside more stable as people would not be walking in and out all the time. Research speed and medical results are calculated by how clean a room is, so it would be valuable to keep people from walking through your hospital or lab unless needed.

schizmo

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on December 22, 2016, 09:09:11 AM
Quote from: schizmo on December 22, 2016, 08:49:40 AM

All over the place pretty much. Any building with more than one entrance could use it to keep the random dirt clutter outside, and keep the temps inside more stable as people would not be walking in and out all the time. Research speed and medical results are calculated by how clean a room is, so it would be valuable to keep people from walking through your hospital or lab unless needed.

This reminds me of a similar suggestion I once considered, designating zones as "roads" and letting the pathfinder prioritize Road Zones when moving from point A to B. I find pawns would rather walk in the dirt adjacent to a building rather than walk on the stone path I spent HOURS cutting stone for, and they track dirt all over the place.

Anyway now that you put it that way it makes sense