Automatically resume failed downloads? [SOLVED]

Started by mabor0shi, December 21, 2016, 04:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabor0shi

I have a slow, unreliable internet connection. I can't download A16 because the download keeps failing & I can't babysit it all day clicking resume every time it fails. There has to be an app for that, right? An extension or something that automatically resumes failed downloads? I can't find one for Chrome. Maybe there's a solution for another browser. Anyone have the answer? (plz don't say "New ISP")
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Calahan

Do a Google search for "download managers". These are programs that help manage your downloads and can usually resume downloads if connection is lost. Here is a TechRadar article from a two weeks ago (found using the above search) that summarise some of the better/more popular ones.
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/the-best-free-download-manager-1328199

I personally haven't used a download manager for a few years. IIRC JDownloader was the last one I used, and that "worked as advertised". JDownloader2 is mentioned in that article, but I have no experience of using it (so no opinion on it either way).

Edit - And remember the warning that usually applies with all free software which is to make sure you read everything that comes up during installation, and not just simply click "next" all the time. As a lot of free software comes bundled with adware, nuisanceware, and various other PuP's that try to trick you into agreeing to their installation, but which can usually (but not always) be avoided as long as you read the various options that appear when installing.

Edit 2 - I don't use browser add-ons myself, so don't know if there are any download manager add-ons you could use instead. But I'd be surprised if there isn't one, and if there is then Chrome is the most likely browser to have one. Again, Google will be your friend in searching for if such an add-on exists.

mabor0shi

Quote from: Calahan on December 21, 2016, 04:38:50 PM
Do a Google search for "download managers". These are programs that help manage your downloads
Thank you for the (extremely dumbed down :P) advice. I assumed that my google search would have turned up any extensions/add-ons that have the ability to automatically resume interrupted DLs. The problem I was hoping to solve is that my browser is programmed to require a command to simply continue the task it was temporarily unable to perform. It obviously shouldn't require user input to resume the DL and it should be easy to not require any. >:( >:( >:( I wanted a fix or (more likely) a workaround for this. I'm using the top DL manager from the link you posted and it seems to have that feature, though I didn't see it in the descriptions. PROBLEM SOLVED!
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

milon

I also haven't used a download manager in years, but if I recall correctly, each time the download manager restarts/resumes, that consumes 1 of your limited download counts. I would actually suggest downloading from another computer (ie. visit a friend) onto a flash drive and carry it home with you.

mabor0shi

Quote from: milon on December 22, 2016, 12:04:14 PM
I also haven't used a download manager in years, but if I recall correctly, each time the download manager restarts/resumes, that consumes 1 of your limited download counts. I would actually suggest downloading from another computer (ie. visit a friend) onto a flash drive and carry it home with you.
I saved it to dropbox and was DLing it from there, so the limit was irrelevant. Now I'm finally working on updating my mod for alpha 16. Thanks for being helpful Milon and Calahan! Happy Holidays!