[A16/17] Tam's tinymods (Kitchen Counter, Smokepit, Travel rations ...)

Started by Tammabanana, December 21, 2016, 05:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fellbourne

@Rimrue for tribal flavoured stuff (and spacer flavered stuff later if you wish) you might check out RIMkea. I like the look of The Rustika Furniture when playing tribals, especially if i'm also using the Medieval Times mod.

Rimrue

Quote from: Fellbourne on April 07, 2017, 09:23:05 PM
@Rimrue for tribal flavoured stuff (and spacer flavered stuff later if you wish) you might check out RIMkea. I like the look of The Rustika Furniture when playing tribals, especially if i'm also using the Medieval Times mod.

Oh cool! Thanks! I will check that out! :)

Rue

Tammabanana

Quote from: Rimrue on April 07, 2017, 08:29:15 PM
Hi, I tried installing your subsistence mod, but it's telling me it's not the latest version. Can you upload the latest version as I would like to try it out!

Hi! There's two branches going on in that GitHub right now. If you download from the master branch, https://github.com/Tammabanana/Initial-Conditions-Subsistence/tree/master, that's the version described in the first post, and may be the one telling you it's not the latest version? That's where I was trying to do a lot of stuff at once in the mod.

The "latest" version may mean the other branch, where I'm working on focusing the scope - https://github.com/Tammabanana/Initial-Conditions-Subsistence/tree/Strip-smoked-meat-out. In this branch, I've:

• removed all the smoked meat stuff (it moved entirely to the smoked meat mod, also branched while I'm testing to make sure things still work - https://github.com/Tammabanana/Smoked-Meat/tree/Smokehouse-upgrade)
  • removed the tilled soil, because I'd set it to be about halfway between soil and rich soil, but I couldn't figure out how to deal with the fact that you could lay it over rich soil and actually downgrade the fertility by accident, and then Rainbeau came out with Fertile Fields, which I felt did the job of gradual fertility increases much better.

Also for adding more tribal flavoured stuff, I currently play using the camping gear mod and just ignore the beds for at least the first year or until non-tribals start joining. If I had access to tribal-style beds that were equal to the colonist beds for rest effectiveness and healing, but looked more tribal, I would happily use them instead. Or even if they weren't as good but were just better than the sleeping bags. Same with the armchairs and joy objects, etc. I hate feeling like I have to rush my tribal folks into being colonists instead of maintaining their tribal ways!

Thanks!

I hear ya, and also recommend RimKEA; with Spoon's permission, it's one of the mods I'm drawing from. I think most of the others I've collected haven't been A16'd. Maybe I'll just set up a separate tab for the tribal furniture, and then a player can ignore the regular Furniture tab completely if they want? I'll have to look into that.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Rimrue

Great, thanks! :)

I'm going to try this out on a new save. I've been playing tribal the last three or four games and find it's too hard to stay tribal for longer than a year or so, but I get bored as soon as the colony starts getting modern technology. Lol

Rimrue

Okay, having played about 30 ingame days I have some thoughts for you:

First, I love the smoked meat. That is a major lifesaver! I can smoke an entire megasloth in a little over a day and only lose a few meat at the end. I haven't yet tried out the smokehouse, though, as I've found just using the fire works great. If it is like the beer kegs and doesn't require babysitting, I may give it a go.

The double sleeping spot is also great. I started off with a couple and they really appreciated being able to sleep together from the start. Ditto the hay sleeping spot. Which saved me until I could build them the RIMkea bed.

BTW, RIMkea has a separate tab for its furniture. So I would definitely do the same with your set of tribal furniture. If I can make a suggestion, though: please make the materials needed for the furniture the same for tribal as vanilla. It sucks not being able to build simple wooden stools right off the bat. And the double bed requires 100 stone and cannot be made of wood. That's pretty tough to produce early game, even with the stone crafting spot. :/

Speaking of which, is it possible to add brewing and scupting to the crafting spot? Or even create separate spots for those two actions? I like the idea of my tribals sitting around the fire crafting things instead of working at benches.

Also should "whacking rocks together" be "chipping stone blocks from chunks" or similar? The actual term is knapping, I believe, but most people won't know that. Also does it really need a level 6 crafter? Perhaps level 3 would be enough to balance it? I was lucky I started the game with a level 7 crafter or I'd have been screwed as there is very little other crafting I could do early game to level him up. I usually use stone cutting to level up my crafters! Lol

I really like the winter and summer clothing additions, but feel they are also unbalanced. I'm uncertain if the crafting spot has a speed penalty on it, but if it does I think that would be enough on an item that takes 300+ work to do. If it doesn't then perhaps increase the work time to 450? 667 is crazy excessive IMO.

Another suggestion: could you create a tribal food item for eggs? I got chickens only to realize I can only make meals with the eggs. So far, I've been just feeding the eggs to my dogs since I can't make kibble either. Lol

Anyway, hopefully that is helpful feedback. I'm enjoying playing this mod. It's great not having to rush into research. So thanks for creating it. :)

Tammabanana

Quote from: Rimrue on April 09, 2017, 08:28:23 PM
Okay, having played about 30 ingame days I have some thoughts for you:

First, I love the smoked meat. That is a major lifesaver! I can smoke an entire megasloth in a little over a day and only lose a few meat at the end. I haven't yet tried out the smokehouse, though, as I've found just using the fire works great. If it is like the beer kegs and doesn't require babysitting, I may give it a go.

The keg code is in the C# somewhere, so it requires babysitting. :( However, the length of babysitting doesn't change with increased quantities.

QuoteBTW, RIMkea has a separate tab for its furniture. So I would definitely do the same with your set of tribal furniture. If I can make a suggestion, though: please make the materials needed for the furniture the same for tribal as vanilla. It sucks not being able to build simple wooden stools right off the bat. And the double bed requires 100 stone and cannot be made of wood. That's pretty tough to produce early game, even with the stone crafting spot. :/

I concur!

QuoteSpeaking of which, is it possible to add brewing and scupting to the crafting spot? Or even create separate spots for those two actions? I like the idea of my tribals sitting around the fire crafting things instead of working at benches.

As far as I can tell, it would have to be separate spots - if you try to add multiple work types to a spot, colonists who are assigned to one work but not the other will do the other anyway. It totally messes up a pawn's priorities. I'm into the idea of brewing and sculpting while sitting on mats around a fire, too, instead of the huge work benches. I see that you're working on this kind of stuff already in your own mods! I'd be happy to offer XML-help on yours if you need it - I remain super-slow on this front on my own.

QuoteAlso should "whacking rocks together" be "chipping stone blocks from chunks" or similar? The actual term is knapping, I believe, but most people won't know that. Also does it really need a level 6 crafter? Perhaps level 3 would be enough to balance it? I was lucky I started the game with a level 7 crafter or I'd have been screwed as there is very little other crafting I could do early game to level him up. I usually use stone cutting to level up my crafters! Lol

Duly noted, will refer back to this when I stick my fingers in the XML next. Clothing balance, also noted.

QuoteAnother suggestion: could you create a tribal food item for eggs? I got chickens only to realize I can only make meals with the eggs. So far, I've been just feeding the eggs to my dogs since I can't make kibble either. Lol

Outside the scope of Subsistence, I think - I incorporated smoked meat because that's a real and ancient way to preserve meat when you have too much to eat before it goes bad, but I can't think of a way you do that for eggs. Generally you do just scramble them up or boil them, and they do take longer to spoil, right?

But I could totes write a recipe for... something eggy, to give to you for use in one of your Tribal Mods, if you want. Whaddya want to make out of the eggs that isn't a meal? (Disclaimer: I'm terrible at art. You seem to be better.)

I didn't add kibble to the butchering spot? Will look at that too.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Rimrue

Yeah, I figured that out about the beer keg, too. Guess it may be time delve into learning C#? Lol

I went ahead and made a cooked egg mod. It doesn't preserve the egg--it actually drops the spoilage time to 5 days--but it removes the "ate raw food" debuff. It also prevents fertilized eggs from hatching if you are having an issue with too many chickens. Lol But the main reason I created it is because I prefer to play without simple meals. I mean what self-respecting tribal uses a cafeteria tray? Lol

I really love your smokepit mod, though. Also the patched leathers. They are life savers. Lol I won't play tribal without those two mods.  :)

Thanks!

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Tammabanana on April 29, 2017, 11:13:54 AM
I can't think of a way you do that for eggs. Generally you do just scramble them up or boil them, and they do take longer to spoil, right?

Pickled Eggs
Made by simmering eggs in a brine of vinegar, sugar, salt and spices.

Water Glass
Defined in Von Wagner's Manual of Chemical Technology (1892 translation) as any of the soluble alkaline silicates, first observed by Jean Baptist van Helmont around 1640 as a fluid substance made by melting sand with excess alkali. Glauber made what he termed "liquor silicum" in 1646 from potash and silica.

Freezing
A more modern method is freezing in ice-cube trays.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Tammabanana

Quote from: Rimrue on April 29, 2017, 05:36:21 PM
Yeah, I figured that out about the beer keg, too. Guess it may be time delve into learning C#? Lol

Har! I'm so totally waiting for it to be pulled out into the XML. I think that's been heavily requested.

QuoteI mean what self-respecting tribal uses a cafeteria tray? Lol

SRSLY

QuoteI really love your smokepit mod, though. Also the patched leathers. They are life savers. Lol I won't play tribal without those two mods.  :)

Thanks! Me neither!! I plan on picking up your mods when I next sit down with tribals, too.

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 29, 2017, 06:43:27 PM

I can't think of a way you do that for eggs. Generally you do just scramble them up or boil them, and they do take longer to spoil, right?

Pickled Eggs

Water Glass
Defined in Von Wagner's Manual of Chemical Technology (1892 translation) as any of the soluble alkaline silicates, first observed by Jean Baptist van Helmont around 1640 as a fluid substance made by melting sand with excess alkali. Glauber made what he termed "liquor silicum" in 1646 from potash and silica.

Pickles, damn, yeah. There are canning mods out there but I think they all use glass jars or steel cans - but the pickling process itself has to be older than those tools. Will have to look up older methods of sealing foods up for storage. Clay urns? Kegs?

Could probably brew vinegar in-game out of the rice, without having to go through adding any new plants.

Re: alkali: this reminds me that people used ashes from their firepits for making lots of stuff, like soap. Or wherever you need lye/alkali stuff, I guess. Soap's the only one I can remember.

Rimrue

Quote from: Tammabanana on April 30, 2017, 09:39:02 AM
Thanks! Me neither!! I plan on picking up your mods when I next sit down with tribals, too.

Should we team up to make a mod pack??? :D

Rimrue

Quote from: Tammabanana on April 30, 2017, 09:39:02 AM

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 29, 2017, 06:43:27 PM

Pickled Eggs

Water Glass

Pickles, damn, yeah. There are canning mods out there but I think they all use glass jars or steel cans - but the pickling process itself has to be older than those tools. Will have to look up older methods of sealing foods up for storage. Clay urns? Kegs?

Could probably brew vinegar in-game out of the rice, without having to go through adding any new plants.

Re: alkali: this reminds me that people used ashes from their firepits for making lots of stuff, like soap. Or wherever you need lye/alkali stuff, I guess. Soap's the only one I can remember.

I did a bit of researching when I created my cooked egg recipe. Another option for preserving eggs is the Chinese century egg. It uses ash and lime to raise the alkalinity to preserve the eggs. So perhaps our Rimworld tribals have created something similar?

Tammabanana

Quote from: Rimrue on April 30, 2017, 07:16:30 PM
Should we team up to make a mod pack??? :D

Theoretically, I am so into this.

But in practice, I am currently super scattered, so I can't promise to be super useful and I've been going awol for like weeks at a time. Sooooooo, I think maybe the best I can do is be all: I'm totally going to be looking at your mods whenever I pick up my tribal-specific intentions again, so as to make sure we're not conflicting/duplicating (at the very least!), and maybe we can arrange to use the exact same Designation Categories or something so that our stuff blends nicely? Like... a really slowwwww mooooooo modpack collaboration?

Tammabanana

Quote from: Canute on May 01, 2017, 03:32:48 AM
Or maybe they used this :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. That... is... kind of Rimworldy.

Actually, I bet that's a version of the alkali thing. Urea's very ammonia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

AngleWyrm

Dandelion woes
My grazers are getting stuck on the dandelions.

They eat them down to 8%, but then the dandelions don't seem to get any smaller than that. They just stay at 8% while being eaten.

So the creatures get taken out of the game, eating a dandelion all day long because they have almost no food value.

My temporary fix has been to change the nutrition of dandelions to fill a creature all the way up in one nibble.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh