[A17/A18] [WIP] Warhammer 40k Corruption

Started by Cpt.Ohu, December 22, 2016, 05:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt.Ohu

Continuation from over here

Description:

This is a 40K conversion mod that places your colony on the outer edges of the Imperium of Man. It's been in development for quite some time, slowly bulding up to a big overhaul, introducing a variety of new factions, a lot of new weapons, psyker powers, religion and the titular corruption of the Warp.

Features:

New factions:

Imperium of Man:
  Imperial Guard

Adeptus Sororitas

Mechanicus

Alien Empires:

Eldar

Orks

Dark Eldar

The Lost and Damned:
  Chaos Cultists

40k Armory:

A variety of well known human and xeno weapons and armor

Faction Colors:
This mod uses this framework. As such, all of the new factions have individual colors assigned to them that will display on predetermined clothing/armor which they equip. Eventually I will make it possible for the player to choose his own colors, so when you are manufacturing imperial armor, it will be colored according to your heraldry.

Aircraft:

This mod adds aircraft for suborbital travel to the game. They can be equipped with turrets for ground defense/attack purposes and travel like caravans/transport pods. They are fuelled by Chemfuel.

Shiptypes currently in:

• OHU dropship: A basic freighter, intended as a starting ship.
  • Imperial Valkyrie: For now the most offensive ship, being able to host 3 turrets.
  • Imperial Aquila Lander: A small transport vehicle mostly used by the Adeptus Arbites.

Psyker Powers:

Every pawn gets assigned a power-level. Anything above Iota may be classified as Psyker and has the chance to gain accesss to abilities. As of now, these are mainly offensive spells and debuffs, though there's already the groundwork for healing in there as well. I'm also working on non-targeting-spells that will affect the pawn itself or a predefined target.
As of now, any effect you can think of that should target a single pawn can be coded in. There are mental-state-bullets, heal-spells, and normal offensive stuff like the lightning-arc. The buff/debuff projectiles aren't drawn. Instead, below the pawn a mark appears that grows until the pawn is "hit".
Again, this is mostly for combat, which is why I will go down the other road as well. I want to enable them to influence visitors, either to give better prices, increase faction relation, or even force-recruit them. And I want to enable a sort of astropath-system, which means some pawns have the ability to call in help from space (mainly the Imperial Guard and Sisters of Battle).

For now, the sisters of battle and the Eldar warlock are the only characters who start out with Psyker Powers. Your own pawns can only learn them by reading certain books or by using special equipment (like a staff that allows psykers to shoot lightning).

For AoE spells like Eldritch Storm to work, you have to target the casting pawn itself, otherwise it will not fire.

Purity of Soul:

Your pawns now can get affected by the warp. Starting out pure, different circumstances and actions may corrode this purity until they fall to one of the gods of chaos, showing the mark of their patron upon their body.

As it is, there's simply a new need of soul that defines the effect the warp has already had on this individual. You can access a new windows by simply clicking on the alignment icon in the inspection tab or the Need-barometer in the Needs tab.

Every pawn gets assigned a devotion-trait. This ranges from atheist to fanatic, and this will influence the speed at wich their soul can be affected, as well as social interactions.

The patron-system simply indicates, which deity/higher concept the pawn is following. I have the Emperor for humans, Gork/Mork for Orks, the Eldar pantheon for Eldar and Dark Eldar, and there's already the Greater Good, but it's not used yet.

At the threshold of 30%, the pawn falls to chaos. This means he can never again raise above 30% and he gains a chaos-patron.
This confers a couple of boosts. For one, many negative thoughts are being disabled, so they are less affected by the brutality of RW.

On the other hand, depending on their new patron, they get patron-specific thoughts. A Khornate gets a mood-debuff for every day that he isn't allowed to kill something (can even be hunting an animal, as long as HE kills it). And if his mood is low, he will either go berserk on everything, or he may simply decide to kill a prisoner of the colony (Kill-the-Weak mental break).

A Nurglite gets a permanent mood-boost since Papa Nurgle is such a nice chap, and the more diseases the pawn attracts, the happier he gets. There's already Nurgle's Rot in there, which has a funny mechanic. When killed, the pawn combusts in a mist of diseased matter, which infects all pawns within the vicinity. On the other hand, the pawn may accept Nurgles embrace, gain him as Patron and be cured of the lethal form of  rot, gaining Nurgles Mark instead. The explosion of this pawn upon death is even bigger.

A Tzeentchian has random mood swings due to the chaotic nature of Tzeentchs schemes. He will also get a higher chance of gaining psyker powers (see below).

The Slaaneshi is as of now not really implemented. I have no idea, what the impact should be, or rather how I would code it. I wanted them to get dependent far more easily and regularly go on either food/drug binges or violent streaks.

Purity is effeced by:
  Special items (corrupted / holy)
  Map events
  Reading books

Cultural Tolerance:

Every pawn has an innate offset towards xenos, Neutral, Xenophile or Xenophobe. This will influence the social oppinion of other pawns in the colony. A xenophobe will get annoyed if he has to live with xenos. A xenophile is happy if there are xenos present. Neutral has no effect.

Worship:

As it is, you can build altars and assign preachers. At fixed times in the morning or evening, the preacher will call for a sermon and all pawns who want to listen to him will join. The preaching-skills are dependent on his social skill. A good preacher has a higher chance of giving a great sermon with a big mood buff as opposed to simply a small buff. Of course the preachers affliction is also taken into account. A chaos-follower will give a dark-sermon, which will disturb any pawns that are still untouched. Vice versa, a chaos follower will be annoyed by listening to a loyalist. An atheist will get annoyed either way by religious nonsense. An agnostic may even get the small mood buff, since he's not objected to faith as a concept.

In any case, if a pawn has listened to a preacher he didn't like once, he will never again come to his sermons.
Depending on the preachers affliction, the listeners will have their souls changed, either corrupted by a dark sermon, or elevated by a normal sermon.

This is to be one of the major gameplay changes. Religion has rarely played a part in any mod so far, and I want to change that since it might make for interesting stories. Maybe your colony gets renowned as a place of worship, and visitors from far away come to pray. You may even get the protection of the sisters of battle to hold off raiders.

For now, I've included human skulls and bones to be gained from slaughtering humans. These can be used to build shrines and later on, Servo-Skulls.

Author/Mod Team
Cpt.Ohu - Assembly, XML, Textures
TrashMan - Textures, XML
BanditPanda/Baron - Textures
KriegsStrudel - Textures
Imperitor - Assembly, XML
InfinityKage -  Concept/Balancing

Acknowledgements:

Kaptain Kavern for doing almost all of the organization
Basically the same people already mentioned in the thread for the Alien Race framework, as it's used here
Erdelf for the updated version of Alien Races
Rikiki for the code for drawing laser projectiles
Mrofa for the bookreading-stuff
Some textures from Headshot's 50k Weapon mod
Shinzy's cap from Apparello just fits way too good for commissars
Pardeike for Harmony
Saebbi for the Combat Extended patch

Downloads:

Base Mod:

Requires the Humanoid Alien Framework

Corruption Mod v0.87 (A17)

Corruption Mod v0.95 (A18)

Patches:

Pawnrendering Patch A17

Pawnrendering Patch B18

EPOE Patch A17

Combat Extended Patch B18

The rendering patch is necessary to enable all drawing functions of the mod. Otherwise implants, chaos marks and apparel details won't show up.

Load Order:

- Humanoid Alien Framework
- Base mod
- Render Patch

Discord

Incompabilities:
- FactionColors: This mod contains a modified version of the mod. Do NOT enable both mods at the same time.

- OHU Dropships: This mod contains a modified version of the mod. Do NOT enable both mods at the same time.

This is just to give access to the assets of the mod and let people see, what's in there, since it's been asked about a few times. The mod is far from being finished and I'm looking forward to any kind of feedback.

Cpt.Ohu

Updated first post for better clarity.

Smexy_Vampire

JorJor

koni

I have no idea about warhammer, but this mod is great! Especially I like the worship (but pls say which gods are meant there). Also the skulls are nice, remind me to what I planned in the second, barbarian part of my Ancient Rim. Good work!

CuriousKey

This looks wonderful! Good luck, I'll be very excited to try this out when it reaches release :)

Cpt.Ohu

Did some small bugfixing (loading the world map no longer throws errors).

Psyker Powers are a bit messed up by a code change in projectiles in A16, I'm still trying to fix this.

Renven

this looks done, is it done? if not, wow. such dedication. i am a huge wh40k lore nerd and loves seeing this come to fruition. i'd love to see some event come up that has to do with faction siding, but, just......... OMG I LOVE THIS SO!

Houkime

Well, ideally Slaaneshits probably should become and unbecome lovers very quickly, do LOTS o' lovin' with random pawns  (even if opposing side don't want to) of both sexes as a primary joy source, never rebuff anybody and have major debuffs if not drugged, if Joy is low or if having a day without lovin'.
If a prisoner has a double bed, they will use him as a slave for fulfilling their needs...

As a bonus they all can have Pretty trait and a passion for art and Social.
(Perfect traders and recruiters... hehehehe...)

Also according to lore it's logical for them to have enchanced sensorics and manipulation.

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: Houkime on January 04, 2017, 05:00:29 AM
Well, ideally Slaaneshits probably should become and unbecome lovers very quickly, do LOTS o' lovin' with random pawns  (even if opposing side don't want to) of both sexes as a primary joy source, never rebuff anybody and have major debuffs if not drugged, if Joy is low or if having a day without lovin'.
If a prisoner has a double bed, they will use him as a slave for fulfilling their needs...

As a bonus they all can have Pretty trait and a passion for art and Social.
(Perfect traders and recruiters... hehehehe...)

Also according to lore it's logical for them to have enchanced sensorics and manipulation.

I'm already experimenting with mental breaks (regular drug binges and violent breakdowns to battle desensitation). An increase in romance attempts to other pawns is an interesing idea, I like it.

Traits are difficult, since there are two ways of looking at it. Either you can have a person that is normal by nature, then gets corrupted and turns to a chaos gods characteristics, or the person already possesses those features which makes them susceptible to the influence of chaos. Gameplay wise the latter would be more interesting in my view. It also would give the player some clue as to where a certain pawn might end up. That bloodlusty veteran fighter you have as your main combatant? Yeah, that's a Khornate follower in waiting...

But as for gaining the Pretty trait: Have you seen Lucius the Eternal or Daemonettes? They are beautiful yet repulsive at once. I think I'll try to integrate that into the Slaaneshi-Trait (like currently, Khornates count as bloodthirsty even if they don't have the vanilla trait).

Quote from: awsomeknight96000 on January 03, 2017, 09:00:13 PM
this looks done, is it done? if not, wow. such dedication. i am a huge wh40k lore nerd and loves seeing this come to fruition. i'd love to see some event come up that has to do with faction siding, but, just......... OMG I LOVE THIS SO!

Done? Depends on what you are looking for.  ;)
It is playable. Still way too much stuff that's barebones. And yes, I'm thinking about a system where your planet can become a part of the Imperium, necessitating a tithes-system and potentially becoming (heretical) rebels.

Houkime

Bug: even alien clothes can be weared. It can't be forced, but if pawn so decides, it wears it.
Suggestion: For example, eldar have mostly similar anatomy to humans and their helmets should be available to wear with no problem.
Bug?: Demons from Rift attack even if your colonists already belong to Chaos.

Suggestion: Purity of Soul meter in Colonist Selection Screen and some way (other then looks) to distinguish Marks.

Nomsayinbrah

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I used to player warhammer a lot. Looks cool already!

Will have to wait till after my exams till I buy rimworld, as I don't want to fail school just yet :D

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: Houkime on January 04, 2017, 08:53:33 AM
Bug: even alien clothes can be weared. It can't be forced, but if pawn so decides, it wears it.
Suggestion: For example, eldar have mostly similar anatomy to humans and their helmets should be available to wear with no problem.
Bug?: Demons from Rift attack even if your colonists already belong to Chaos.

Suggestion: Purity of Soul meter in Colonist Selection Screen and some way (other then looks) to distinguish Marks.

Hey, thanks for reporting. I neglected the automatic apparel optimization when setting up the race-restriction, should be fixed now. Eldar helmets can be worn by humans. Ork helmets on the other hand are too heavy/bulky (+ the graphics don't fit).

The demons from the rift attacking everything was a deliberate choice. Maybe I'll enable a way for a chaos colony to open one intentionally as a way to defend.

What would be your suggestion for displaying the chaos god alignment?

Quote from: Nomsayinbrah on January 04, 2017, 01:38:07 PM
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I used to player warhammer a lot. Looks cool already!

Will have to wait till after my exams till I buy rimworld, as I don't want to fail school just yet :D

Good call  ;)

Houkime

Bug: World map is without UI. Unescapable unless you zoom in to the max and then on pressing Page Down game throws  "2819: parameter cannot be null. Parameter name:key ". No other mods. Redownloaded from GH. Same.
Bug: When mousehover over Omicron description - "Object reference is not set to an instance". Tooltip. Every tick. And no UI again.
Missing Stuff (don't know if you know): Old Books like the Veil are without texture (according to debug log).
Bug?: Atheist has an Emperor patron. (It's a sceleton. You need to believe in him in order to have him as an authority, right?)
Bug?: Pure soul has a Slaanesh patron. Well, I guess it is possible but how does this pawn behave?...
Bug: Religion Menu cannot be scrolled between colonists by selecting another colonist. (Open Religion. Click on another colonist. Still the same. Not right.)
Bug: Skull on a pole has 65% cover efficiency. And says "Wooden Skull on a Pole". There should be "Skull on a Wooden pole"
Cosmetic: Adjacent bookshelves overlap unnaturally.

Suggestion: "Xenophobe/phile" should be displayed separately or at least not only with religion.
Right now it is only in religion. Not the most obvious place to seek for it.

Missing touches:
In current activity while attending to sermon: a sermon to whom?
Small Altar: Missing some info about sermons to whom are possible.

Funny Story to think about: Right now I have a pure soul with Slaanesh patron that is leading a sermon to... supposedly Emperor... to two Emperor-loyal pawns.

I think on-body visualisation idea is good but it should be more literal and obvious (Nurgle's Rot confused me ("are these misplaced flames?") and Tzeentch's visuals are well seen only on partially naked pawns)...
(btw Tzeentch small blue dots are sometimes misplaced to nose for some reason. They are supposed to be eyes or bodyart?)

But other good thing to do would be to have some text in addition to visuals.
I imagine it like "Religion: Tzeentch" [/God-Emperor] attached to the bottom of PoS-Meter.
And... once again... a PoS meter on Colonist Selection Screen right after generating world.

Right now religion info is not even in Stats tab.
The only way is to click on the PoS-meter. It is NOT an obvious way especially given that PoS meter is not designed like a button.

Please do consider doing religion menu entry point more obvious.
The most straightforward IMHO is to

1. Have a "Purity of Soul" text above PoS meter designed like a button
2. Integrate some religion data into Stats.
3. Have a link to Religion in the Stats or/and have "Click on Purity of Soul Meter for extra info" string in Stats in religion info.
[1#]. Or at least elucidate in the popup note to PoS that it is clickable.

Other basic suggestions:
Could there be "DE/Eldar/Orc/IG etc. Outpost /// Mixed outlander union" as faction types on the global Map like there are usually "Pirates/Outlander Union/Tribe"... with icons?
Right now cannot understand who is who on the map.

This is also needed for Scenario Editor. So you can decide with whom to play.

Some other ideas for future (maybe junk):

Mushroom basin for production of Orcs and Devilstrand.:

Orcs are mushrooms. And they need to be many to raid.
What are implications?
You might think about giving more love to mushrooms and Orky economy.

I propose Mushroom basin (actually just a large bathtube).
Cost is around 40 of any material. Bit more than a bed.
Does not require electricity.

It can be used for 2 purposes.
1. Fill it with meat or any other organics to produce Devilstrand without sunlight and fast.
2. Fill it with: 10x Orc meat (fungi source) and 90x of any meat... To produce 1 random Orc or Gretchin.

(Allow rotten?)

After that you should be keeping temperature like for Beer making.

Orcs and Gretchins grow slowly. Maybe a half-season. 1 per basin. Visually it is a pale cocoon growing bigger and bigger. It will be whole-basin long when ready to harvest.
Harvest may be failed.
[Alternative. A bit more realistic. Orc can pop out when ready.]

As you can see mechanically it is a basin, but with Bills much like stove.
Mixed inputs. You can allow and disallow stuff.

Eternal Circuit.

A straightforward utilization for Spirit Stones with souls in them.
Alternative to Ship Generator. (Yes, can fly as a part of a ship. Eldar are using this stuff to power their Craftworlds so no problem).
Needs many stones.
Runs forever.

"Torture" Operation Bill, "Torture"/ "Torture and recruit"/["Slave of Love"/"Love and Recruit"] for Prisoners.

A joy source for DE.
A Lovin' source for Slaaneshi.
A way to get joy and get corrupted (both Torture [and Love]) for others.
A way to get medical practice and get corrupted (but without real harm for prisoner. Long play.)
A recruitment system. (New colonist will have a LONG debuff from Torture. Lovin' is better but not every colonist will do it probably.)
A way to corrupt non-corrupted colonists (both operator and target).

Wraithbone construction:

Eldar psyker's ability.
Grows walls of WraithBone. Slowly. Costly.
Wraithbone is needed not only for habitat, but probably for some Eldar machinery like Webway Gates and Eternal Circuits.

WebWay:

Net of Not_really_Teleports scattered around planet.
Alternative mode for Map: Webway.
In WebWay mode Gates are connected with tunnels. Other terrain is impassable.
[Optional. The placement of Nodes in Web may not reflect real-world geometry for Gates. So the nodes are all mixed and you can have an exit to other side of the planet right next to your closest Node. And vice versa. MAYBE Gate-Node correspondence is not even given from start so you need to go blind and try exits.]

Advantages:
Within Tunnels speed is fast enough to reach from pole to equator in 1-2 days or so.
Temperature is around 10 C.

Is there a Library somewhere? (Alternative wincondition?... cause obviously Webway  can disable original travel-for-spaceship if not dangerous/difficult enough. If Nodes are mixed and you don't know from start a Gate-Node Correspondence, one of the nodes may not be a node for gate but a Library or some other interesting stuff)

Downsides: No food for animals. (Currently animals can eat grass on the way and thus muffalos are not counted as eating while on grassy tiules in GlobalMap)

Demon encounters. (See Codex. Sometimes Webway is breached and Warp can flux in.)

Highly possible pirate and DE encounters on nodes.
No manhunter packs.

As a biome (optional. NEW COMMORRAGH!)
All terrain is smooth rock. Nothing grows. Some rare ruins possible. No Sunlight. Very small wind.
Frequent events: Caravan passing by. Stranger passing by. Pirate raids. DE raids.
More rare: Demon attack. Every magic lures Demons. (remember the lore?)
Overall should be a bit easier then Sea Ice.

All for now.

Houkime

Did some basics tests with Techpriests  and Orcs.

Techpriests:

Bug: Magos Biologos cannot do Doctoring and Growing.
Bug: Artisan Techpriest somehow missed your allmighty disability hammer and can Tend, Doctor and more.
Bug: Techpriests have as much human meat as anybody else.
Missing feature (more a suggestion/reminder): Disassemble Techpriest/Servitor bill for a mechanical workshop.
Possible future feature: "Turn into Servitor" and "Turn into Techpriest" operations.

Bug?: Techpriests act like Servitors... with no real thoughts at all. It is not according to lore AFAIR. Techpriests are still people. Fanatics of Machine God (by the way why Emperor as patron?), heavily modified and such, with tons of manipulators and really hard resistance to exotic surrounding conditions (part of the reason for them to become techpriests), but still people with almost normal human brains.
There is a punishment of Servitude when a misbehaving guy really do lose all of his consciousness and becomes a mindless Servitor (who can also be equipped with manipulators like DoW Sisters' of Battle one). But it is whole another story.
Magos are most definetely not servitors and have quite a good mind of their own.

Orcs:

Comment: Orc economy is exactly zero.

Bug: Grots are completely disabled. They cannot even Mine (why?), Construct and Craft which is kind of their primary duty. Who did those Orc armors if not Grots is therefore a mystery. According to lore, they can do pretty much everything maybe except for good cleaning. Kind of smart. Can engineer stuff and research even. They are the true rulers and workhorses of Orky economy.
And Orks as I remember them are not art-disabled. Quite the opposite actually. But this might cause problems because Orky art descriptions are something that needs writing meters of paper to implement.
Cosmetic: Orc heads need redrawing. Out of style, do break immersion. Overall Orcs feel like should be more massive, more like fat people. Grots are ok. Color is a bit too artificial though.
Was impressed by additinal manipulators being an apparel. Was about to suggest them as implants before seeing them.