Why this game never go on sale

Started by gormack82, December 23, 2016, 08:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gormack82

I've been browsing games the past few steam sales and I noticed Rimworld never joins in the sale? I'm just wondering why not.

skullywag

Cuz Tynan doesnt do sales. Hes stated so in the past. Its not that it wont ever happenj ust not very likely.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

dosemeter

You're better off spending $30 on this than $60 on some others....trust us!  ;)

ChaosChronicler

Ludeon Studios isn't a big development or publisher like E.A or some of the other big names out there. I fully support paying full price for Rimworld or any other game from inde-developers cause the money would help grow the company. E.A and the rest already make millions so doing sales is nothing.

Also funny that I get miffed when ever I see an indie-game that's on sale

Lerin

Same crap about sales everywhere, i am ready pay another 30$, to motivate Tynan for big content DLC, this game is worth it.

pktongrimworld

I got more hours out of it than .. well, I think it cost me about 0.01 cents per hour at this point.

Tammabanana

Quote from: dosemeter on December 23, 2016, 09:11:59 AM
You're better off spending $30 on this than $60 on some others....trust us!  ;)

Was it really only $30? I can't remember anymore. Best $30 I've ever spent, videogamewise. Yeah, think of it as a $60 game perpetually 50% off.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

DNK

If he's going to do a sale, why would he do it before he's even finished the game?

There's no telling how many more alphas we have. Tynan I believe has more than enough cash now to maintain development for the foreseeable future of the process. Then there will be a major gold release. After that, I suppose, is when you would want to do sales, to pick up any potential extra customers who just wanted to give the game a chance on the cheap.

But there's little point now in doing that. The game has reached mass awareness, it's still selling well, it doesn't need a big inrush of attention.

Furthermore, there's a good principled reason to avoid sales, as it's very much a "race to the bottom" for a lot of devs. Tynan doesn't need to compete in that race at this point, and maybe it's a bit more financially advantageous to do so, but maybe he also doesn't think it's worth selling out the industry as a whole.

Sirportalez

When no mans sky is on sale it costs 50. just saying.

XeoNovaDan

The game's well worth the base £23 cost anyways, and even worth the £30 if you choose to go that little bit further and get the name in game pack

Besides, Ludeon doesn't get as much money if you get RimWorld through Steam compared to if you get the DRM free version

LordMunchkin

I have gotten hundreds of hours of play out of Rimworld over the years. I'm usually a bit wary about recommending indie games but I can say with confidence that this game is worth every penny. It just... works...  :D

Jarwy

I guess the real reason is that the game isn't out yet. I suppose if you had a complete lack of trust in your game you would but it on sale regardless and maybe add some DLC too while you're on it.

mumblemumble

Games take money to develop, and rimworld is something special, so I dont mind. Consider the hours of fun / money spent when looking at games...most triple A games dont match rimworld when looking at it that way.

... To be honest, I wouldn't mind spending another 30 if tynan could make an original xcom type game. Looking into it, the old game was much deeper than the new ones, but its old and archaic in a few ways, and needs dosbox.

Would love to see someone redo that formula in all its depth.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

milon

Frankly, I don't understand the Everything Must Go On Sale consumer mindset we've built for ourselves. There are circumstances where it makes sense for a vendor to mark down a certain product, but that's at their discretion and should never (IMO) be expected/demanded by the consumers.

niklas7737

I've bought most of my games for the full price and often they went on sale shortly afterwards.
It makes me feel stupid and also gives the feeling I paid too much, since the developers don't seem to consider their game worth its price.
Nowadays when I spot something interesting on Steam, I put it on my wish-list and wait for a sale. You usually don't have to wait long for about 30-40% off.

Tynan however made it quite clear that he was not going to do such a thing, so I bought RimWorld the day it was released on Steam. I did not regret that.
Honestly, I think the price should probably increase once RimWorld is finished and never - even on sale - go down below what it is now. I might just be "selfish" though.

Warning: OffTopic  :o
Has anybody ever thought about the modders who obviously contribute so immensely to RimWorld's value? Seems strange, seeing how much money it should have made for Tynan by now.
And yes, I know he's not just bathing in dollar bills. ;D