Micro Suggestion: Time Acceleration vs Auto-Pause

Started by C.B. Klausberger, October 18, 2013, 06:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.B. Klausberger

Just a litte suggestion from the first 10 hours of Gameplay:

The Time acceleration is well balanced from normal "Ant-Farm"-looking to "fast Forward". But there is a little Problem, as soon as the AI-Storyteller sends you some Raiders or Boomrats to your Frontdoor while in >>>fast forward>>>. It only takes 5 Seconds to get them ripping all Defenses apart, but the worst is: You dont see the Action! ;)

An Autopause-Function atm the Event occurs would be a great solution, as well as options for event-types like Checkboxes for Auto-Pause on...
  • Pirates
  • Immigrants
  • bad Weather
  • etc...

Watch my newest (german speaking) Let´s Play Episodes of RimWorld @ https://www.youtube.com/user/flyingDerli or follow on Twitter http://twitter.com/flyingDerli

SpaceEatingTrex

Quote from: flyingDerli on October 18, 2013, 06:50:11 PM
An Autopause-Function atm the Event occurs would be a great solution, as well as options for event-types like Checkboxes for Auto-Pause on...

I want to second this idea because my experience with Dwarf Fortress and Paradox games speak to how important this can be. Ideally we'd be able to implement the Paradox system, which lets players choose which messages to pause on.

Similarly, it might be a good idea for the game to start in a paused state as well.

Pheanox

In IRC Tynan spoke about possibly putting in a feature that makes it so you can't fast forward through combat.  But a general auto-pause on events would be nice as well.

SteveAdamo

another (relatively) recently kickstarted game, Timber&Stone incorporates a number of configuration settings, tied to the pause system...

- pause on enemy sighting
- pause on unit arrival
- pause on unit death

i've only ever used (and found useful) the pause on enemy sighting... but given the existing alert notifications, this wouldnt be necessary... on this topic specifically, at what point would the game pause (what would be considered the beginning of combat?)...

Haplo

I am not really a friend for auto pause. Sometimes I just want them to do what ever they decide, even so far as leaving the game running and doing something else.
So, if the auto pause should be implemented, it should be possible to decide if auto pause or if crawl speed.
My preference would be crawl :)

CustodianV131

An option for auto pause would be really nice. So that when you get the raiders attack message, it pauses or goes to the slowest speed at least. You can then always decide to set it back to high if its an attack that your defense system can easily handle.

Some LPérs even went through combat on high speed that were far from a sure win.... their choice, but man did it go unnecessarily badly at times. Not that it wasn't fun to see them deal with the results of such a disaster :P, which might have been their intention.  8)
Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?

C.B. Klausberger

Quote from: CustodianV131 on October 19, 2013, 04:09:03 AM
[...]
Some LPérs even went through combat on high speed that were far from a sure win.... their choice, but man did it go unnecessarily badly at times. Not that it wasn't fun to see them deal with the results of such a disaster :P, which might have been their intention.  8)

I defnitly had those issues too... but it was quite fun at one time, where one Frag-Grenade destroyed all my Batteries (wich i didn´t noticed) and all my Base ran out of Defenses.   >>> Rest.In.Pieces Mariah, Tina & Britney   ;D

BOT: Diffrent Pause options would really make the diffrence, also Pause on Fire@Homezone/nearby, but also reducing speed to crawl is a good idea.
Watch my newest (german speaking) Let´s Play Episodes of RimWorld @ https://www.youtube.com/user/flyingDerli or follow on Twitter http://twitter.com/flyingDerli

Spike

I think at the very least, some kind of step-down system could be used.  Kerbal Space Program has a time warp feature, but it auto-steps down at "important" times.  If you loop a spacecraft on a year long journey, you can warp the time up so you're not waiting an actual year - but when you re-enter the atmosphere, it kicks down so that you have time to respond.

mumblemumble

Sounds like a good idea, but would be nice if you could make it be auto PLAY instead of pause, so fast forward turns into normal speed.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

AspenShadow

I'm a big proponent of this idea, personally I prefer auto-pause it's not a big imposition to restart time going and some events when in a big colony will require a lot of individual ordering.

British

Quote from: SteveAdamo on October 18, 2013, 11:39:53 PM
another (relatively) recently kickstarted game, Timber&Stone incorporates a number of configuration settings, tied to the pause system...

- pause on enemy sighting
- pause on unit arrival
- pause on unit death

i've only ever used (and found useful) the pause on enemy sighting... but given the existing alert notifications, this wouldnt be necessary... on this topic specifically, at what point would the game pause (what would be considered the beginning of combat?)...
It actually reminds me of UFO Aftermath (and possibly Afterlight and Aftershock, can't remember about the others), where you can have the game pause on just about any event (thanksfully it's all-configurable), be it seeing an alien, being attacked... the list goes on.
What's interesting as well, is that you can also choose to have the game auto-center to the events (and those centering are toggable as well)... that might be interesting to have, on top of the actual messaging system.

huxi

+1 for auto-pause. There could be an option to disable it but it should definitely be the default behavior.