Using chemfuel as fuel

Started by Jorlem, December 23, 2016, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorlem

I'd like to suggest two potential uses for chemfuel:

Powering fueled generators.

Powering fueled stoves.

I can't recall if there are any other things like those, that can only take wood as fuel, but if there are, chemfuel should be viable as a way to fuel those as well.

Thane

And it should be more efficient!
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Anomaly

Chemfuel furnace = central heating?

Barley

Armorpiercing125

I like this idea, it would make fueled generators and smithies viable in biomes that don't have a lot of trees.

Wex

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Casazzo

Sound idea! And very easy to balance and implement. +2 to you .-)

Houkime

Good thing.
But the law of energy conservation should be in place.
So that you can't grow organics for refinery using sunlamp and then produce chemfuel with more contained energy (if put into generator) than it was put in by sunlamp (+hydro if the process was sped up).
There should be a loss.

Jorlem

Quote from: Houkime on January 01, 2017, 01:24:42 AM
Good thing.
But the law of energy conservation should be in place.
So that you can't grow organics for refinery using sunlamp and then produce chemfuel with more contained energy (if put into generator) than it was put in by sunlamp (+hydro if the process was sped up).
There should be a loss.

What about the portion of energy derived from the chemicals absorbed by the plant?

That said, I'd love if we could build actual greenhouses, with glass walls and roofs. Actually, going to make a thread for a that.

Houkime

Quote from: Jorlem on January 01, 2017, 02:53:20 PM
What about the portion of energy derived from the chemicals absorbed by the plant?

Sorry, didn't understand that one.
AFAIK usual plants don't utilize much of external chemical energy. They are autotrophic.
If you mean fertilizer, it is not about energy (plants except carnivorous and parasitic ones cannot digest organics) but about salts containing (among other important things) nitrogen and phosphorus - it is extra building material.
What exactly do you mean?

Jorlem

Quote from: Houkime on January 02, 2017, 04:44:43 AM
Quote from: Jorlem on January 01, 2017, 02:53:20 PM

Sorry, didn't understand that one.
AFAIK usual plants don't utilize much of external chemical energy. They are autotrophic.
If you mean fertilizer, it is not about energy (plants except carnivorous and parasitic ones cannot digest organics) but about salts containing (among other important things) nitrogen and phosphorus - it is extra building material.
What exactly do you mean?

Sorry, it has been a while since I thought about plant growth, and I misremembered how it works.  After doing a bit of googling, it appears what I was thinking of was the respiration portion of the plant growth cycle. My bad.

Also, plants apparently grow faster at night than during the day, so the game is portraying it completely backwards.

niklas7737

In case you don't want to wait, you will find two mods doing that on the Steam Workshop if you search for Chemfuel Generator.

Lightzy

I honestly still didn't get what chemfuel was for to begin with

Thyme

Chemfuel is used as propellant for drop pods.

I guess the reason why Tynan didn't made a Chemfuel generator is that it violates the law of conservation of energy. Well, I don't care, made this mod: [A16] Chemfuel Generator
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak