Option to Choose if Wanderers and Escapees Join After Identifying

Started by zekeen, December 24, 2016, 02:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zekeen

So, I've been noticing a big problem for me. A random terrible wanderer joins without my consent or I save someone under attack for them to try and set my base on fire and calling everyone ugly. This makes me load a previous save since I don't want to have such terrible colonists and I try to play a "keep them all alive as much as possible" play style, so I don't wanna have to deal with sending them off to die. So, my suggestion -

When a Wanderer comes to join, allow you to view their person on whether or not they are right for your colony.

When an escapee asks for help, you must fight off the attackers as usual and then get to view and decide if they join, if not, then they just walk off the map as a spacer or whatever.

When you rescue an escape pod survivor and they offer to join, get to view and decide if they join, if not, then they just walk off the map.

I want the option to say "yes" or "no" to joiners, instead of having them forced on me. Think of it as the interview process. A luciferim addicted junkie, with no good stats, missing his legs, dementia, pyromaniac, and abrasive isn't gonna do well for a colony.

As an added suggestion - how about some requests from a group of allies fleeing pirates that you need to save for a small reward and some reputation instead of extra people sometimes?

Hikurac

"When an escapee asks for help, you must fight off the attackers as usual and then get to view and decide if they join. Think of it as the interview process."

Yes, let me just call off my attackers while I hand in my resume.

But in all seriousness, yeah this is a much needed feature.

Archatius

schizmo

I think it would probably play out something like this:

A desperate voice calls over the radio, requesting asylum from a pursuing band of raiders. If you agree, a randomly generated NPC enters, much like the current mechanic, only they are not automatically assigned to your colony and can only flee toward the center of the map. They are injured (no open wounds, we don't want them to get infected) and 100% incapable of fighting, and will attempt to flee from any danger. Due to their injuries, however, they will be unable to outrun a Raider should one get too close.

The Raiders arrive once the NPC has safely hobbled 2/3 of the way to the center of your colony, and you fight with them to keep them away from the NPC. The goal of the raiders is to kidnap the NPC, and not necessarily to fight you. Because of this, the Raiders will attempt to move in and kidnap the NPC (similar to the "the raiders decided to take what/who they can and leave" event when a raid takes too long) and it will be your job to make sure that doesn't happen. The Raiders won't attempt to use lethal force on the NPC, they will just move into Melee range and beat him until he's incapacitated and attempt to haul him off. However, the NPC can still manage to be killed by a stray bullet or explosive.

If you fight the Raiders off, the NPC thanks you, saying something like "I don't know what I would have done without you!" and you are given the option to offer them a place in your colony, or send them on their way.

If the Raiders successfully kidnap the NPC they will attempt to flee with them, and if you manage to free the NPC again the battle will resume. Should the NPC somehow be killed, then the raid just continues to play out as a normal raid and you miss out on a potential new colony member. This is important because if the player decides they don't want the NPC, they shouldn't be allowed to kill them to try and avoid a fight.

I think the major distinction here is that the player should have to fight the raid no matter what BEFORE you find out whether or not the NPC is worth recruiting, that's what makes that type of recruitment event a gamble. There shouldn't be an easy button to skip the combat because you know it's not worth the effort, but similarly you should not be stuck with a bad colonist and suffer the mood penalty of executing or euthanizing them if they end up being terrible.

It also opens the door for new enemy AI behaviors!