Problems with Research + Mods?

Started by Beathrus, December 24, 2016, 09:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beathrus

So, I have installed a few mods; I enjoy them etc. And they expand research nicely, but we do run into problems with it. So I was just wondering, what could be possible fixes? I mean it seems fine, except the scroll goes side to side and not up or down? Maybe full window it like when we click on 'World' tab, and we can use the middle mouse click to drag in all directions?

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

ChaosChronicler

Yeah having this too. Funny enough with what I assume is the same mod I have installed :P

Beathrus

Quote from: ChaosChronicler on December 25, 2016, 12:04:13 AM
Yeah having this too. Funny enough with what I assume is the same mod I have installed :P

As far as I can tell, the more mods that add research you install the bigger the tree gets. But if you can only scroll left to right, that makes it a problem because you can't continue to research.

And Yes, I have currently installed 'Mending, Vegetable Garden, More Vanilla Turrets, Carpets, and a few others.

DaemonDeathAngel

This has been coming up in multiple different areas of the forums. Tynan himself responded to one of the topics effectively stating that the Research Tree currently, is not an absolute thing.

The current research tree does not expand on the Y-Axis with a sroll bar, it only scrolls left and right on the X-Axis, that being said, that doesn't mean there isn't more area on the Y-Axis.

I did a little fiddling around earlier in an attempt to find where the Y-Axis is coded to stop, and currently, there are only 5 coordinates up and down on the Y-Axis that shows, that includes all decimal places in between. However, to my attempts, it seems the code limits anything from exceeding 10 on the Y-Axis, meaning there are 5 unseen positions on the chart that can be used, but not shown.

I have used this little "bug" (I guess that's what we will call it) to hide all core research so that I have a completely empty Research tree, so I can add my customized research tree in for my current project, RimWorld Revamped - The Transcendence.

I know I have seen a few mod makers who are absolutely refusing to update mods to A16 until the Research tree is fixed. Due to the fact that if too many ResearchDefs use the same y coordinate, it forces them into a jumbled mess, eventually going off screen, as your screenshot shows.

There are ways around this, though it takes moving all custom ResearchDefs past the core coordinates for research, so it doesn't clash and jumble up. However, most mod makers don't want to take the time to do that, since many have ResearchPrerequisites of core ResearchDefs.

TL;DR: The Research tree is a mess, and will hopefully be fixed, until then, there isn't really anything that can be done, unless you want to take the time to manually edit all research within the mods to move them on the X-Axis.

Beathrus

Quote from: DaemonDeathAngel on December 25, 2016, 01:24:41 AM
This has been coming up in multiple different areas of the forums. Tynan himself responded to one of the topics effectively stating that the Research Tree currently, is not an absolute thing.

The current research tree does not expand on the Y-Axis with a sroll bar, it only scrolls left and right on the X-Axis, that being said, that doesn't mean there isn't more area on the Y-Axis.

I did a little fiddling around earlier in an attempt to find where the Y-Axis is coded to stop, and currently, there are only 5 coordinates up and down on the Y-Axis that shows, that includes all decimal places in between. However, to my attempts, it seems the code limits anything from exceeding 10 on the Y-Axis, meaning there are 5 unseen positions on the chart that can be used, but not shown.

I have used this little "bug" (I guess that's what we will call it) to hide all core research so that I have a completely empty Research tree, so I can add my customized research tree in for my current project, RimWorld Revamped - The Transcendence.

I know I have seen a few mod makers who are absolutely refusing to update mods to A16 until the Research tree is fixed. Due to the fact that if too many ResearchDefs use the same y coordinate, it forces them into a jumbled mess, eventually going off screen, as your screenshot shows.

There are ways around this, though it takes moving all custom ResearchDefs past the core coordinates for research, so it doesn't clash and jumble up. However, most mod makers don't want to take the time to do that, since many have ResearchPrerequisites of core ResearchDefs.

TL;DR: The Research tree is a mess, and will hopefully be fixed, until then, there isn't really anything that can be done, unless you want to take the time to manually edit all research within the mods to move them on the X-Axis.

If only I had the skill and knowledge to be able to do so.

DaemonDeathAngel

It's not insanely difficult to do, if you know what exactly it is your are looking for. I don't have the largest knowledge of XML, but I know enough to do what I need, and learned it all through modding rimworld.

LordMunchkin

I've only encountered this problem with truly a ludicrous amount of mods. The main offenders seem to be mods that add a ton of new research, mainly the cthulhu, medieval times, epoe, and glitterworld mods. Add in a dozen other mods that have their own 1-3 research techs and this problem really becomes bad.

DaemonDeathAngel

I have ran into it while messing with the coding and only adding 4 or five resrech, causing a piece of core research to be shoved off screen

Grishnerf

there is a mod for the old techlist already on steam
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

DaemonDeathAngel

That was just released today, and it is on the forums as well.